Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-02-2011, 05:39 AM

42,554 posts, read 86,968,624 times

Advertisements

I've only stayed at two hotels in my life that an American tourist would call "nice"---both of them freebies paid for by the airline on overnight stopovers, in Libreville, Gabon, and Dubai, UAE. I once had to stay two nights in Toronto on company business, and I guess that hotel was probably nice, but I don't remember anything about it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-03-2011, 10:40 AM

6,470 posts, read 16,401,050 times
The Coex international in Seoul. The food was really great. My favorite hotel, although it was cheap, it was one of the nicest in terms of scenery was a place called the Posada Santa Anita in Zihuatanejo (which is probalby an overpriced tourist trap these days). Covered in bougainvillea, fresh fruit for breakfast. Pretty town with lots of fresh seafood and awesome people. The Coex was really expensive and fancy, though. But I'll take tropics over citified elegance any day.

Old 05-03-2011, 11:01 AM

13,026 posts, read 24,626,809 times
Some of the loveliest places I have stayed in :

Villa Mathis in Bali :

Galerie Photo

Tientsin Bungalow in Ceylon :

Luxury holidays in the lush tea country of Sri Lanka | Tientsin Bungalow | Ceylon Tea Trails

The Chateau de Mercues in the Lot ( South-West France)

Château de Mercuès - Hôtel **** - Relais & Châteaux

The Chateau de la Caze near St Enimie in the Gorges du Tarn ( France)

Hôtel**** Restaurant Château de la Caze - Sainte-Enimie - Tarn - Lozère 48 Cévennes

The Malabar House in Cochin ( India)

Malabar Escapes - Malabar House at Fort Cochin, trinity at Fort Cochin, serenity at Kanam Estate, purity at lake Vembanad, privacy at Sanctuary bay, discovery on lake Vembanad backwater cruises » The finest chain of small boutique & villa hotels in K

Londolozi Game reserve in South Africa :

Londolozi | The Londolozi Lodges - Londolozi Game Reserve (http://www.londolozi.co.za/en/lodge/ - broken link)

"The Airds Hotel " in Port Appin - Scotland ( one of the best views in the world)

Luxury Hotel Restaurant, Accommodation Scotland - Port Appin

"La Mirage" hotel in Cotacachi in Ecuador ( link does not work)

And I just loved the B&Bs we stayed in during my Honeymoon in New England in 2009 :

"Blair Hill Inn" in Greenville Maine. Where we got married -We had room 1 and I could have lived in that bathroom. To this day it is still "my" bathroom with a wonderfl, wonderful view to boot. already planning our next visit.

Maine Bed and Breakfast at Moosehead Lake | Vacation in Maine at the Blair Hill Inn

"Captain Fairfield" in Kennebunkport - "Captain Fairfield" room was fab.

Kennebunkport Bed and Breakfast, Captain Fairfield Inn, Kennebunkport Maine

"Timbercliffe cottage" in Camden Maine :

Timbercliffe Cottage B&B, Camden, Maine

"Carpe Diem" in Provincetown :

Carpe Diem Guesthouse, A Unique Provincetown Inn Inspired by the Dead Poets - Carpe Diem Guesthouse - Provincetown MA, Cape Cod

And I adore the Long Beach resort ( not usually a resort kind of person but I love the location and the beach front rooms are lovely, simple but luxurious somewhow) :

Tofino Hotel Accommodations at Long Beach Lodge Resort Canada | Accommodations

Most of the hotels first mentioned are in the "Relais and Chateaux" guide which is my bible for utter luxury and pampering.

And to anyone going to Romania , I would recommend Count Kalnoky's guesthouses in Transylvania, not the most luxurious but wonderfully cozy, warm and a fabulous stay . A real experience , and I want to go back. The Count was a perfect host.

Transylvania - Count Kalnoky's Guesthouses

There are many more places but the above really stick in my mind at the moment. We do a lot of home exchanges so luxurious hotels are now more or less a thing of my wealthy past but once in a while some pampering is wonderful. I would recommend the above to anyone.

Most of my travelling has been roughing it and camping or staying in local people's homes ( always a lovely experience if not luxurious, a lot of trekking so no hotels for me in out of the way places and when there were hotels mostly hostel type places) but I feel so lucky to have had the chance to also experience some of the best that the hospitality industry has to offer.

Last edited by Mooseketeer; 05-03-2011 at 11:13 AM..

Old 05-03-2011, 02:22 PM

1,300 posts, read 3,603,466 times
We don't stay in very many fancy hotels, but the fanciest was probably the DoubleTree in Times Square. Mooseketeer, wow. Those hotels look AMAZING! I'm particularly interested in the Maine B&Bs. We keep talking about taking a trip to Maine, I've never been.

Old 05-03-2011, 04:13 PM

13,026 posts, read 24,626,809 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by J-CityRelo View Post
We don't stay in very many fancy hotels, but the fanciest was probably the DoubleTree in Times Square. Mooseketeer, wow. Those hotels look AMAZING! I'm particularly interested in the Maine B&Bs. We keep talking about taking a trip to Maine, I've never been.
I would really, really recommend those B&Bs , they are mostly at the top end of the market ( it was our Honeymoon and we hate large impersonal hotels so this is more our idea of luxury). We also loved the "" in Bar Harbor , also lovely, very quaint, not most people's idea of luxury, lots of quirky art, fabulous hosts, wonderful breakfasts ( overlooking the water if you have it on the terrace). I suspect most people would find it a little too oddball in many ways but it was perfect for us. None of these are cheap though.

Maine is WONDERFUL. I love, love, love it. Especially the coast from Mid coast to Canada. Lovely warm people , just a really special place. We have been many times and mostly stayed in cheap B&Bs /motels but sometimes pushing the boat out is great. Most of the time to be honest I don't really care as all we want is a clean room , comfortable bed and clean bathroom. We tend to spend little time in the rooms so it does not usually matter.

Go to Maine , you will love it. Especially in Fall towards the end of the season when you get most places to yourself.

Old 05-03-2011, 06:40 PM

2,189 posts, read 7,052,341 times
The nicest place we've stayed at was The Ritz Carlton in Key Biscayne Bay FL.

But the one with the best beach is Perdido Beach Resort on the Alabama coast.

busta

Old 05-03-2011, 07:08 PM

9,724 posts, read 21,233,609 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrRational View Post
The Motel 6 in Gillette Wyoming.

(but it was worth the extra expense!)

You must have either come in after a long, dusty trail ride or right out of a blizzard.

(I live a mile or two from that fine establishment.)

Old 05-03-2011, 07:17 PM

2,186 posts, read 7,944,148 times
My husband and I stayed at Turtle Island, Fiji for our Honeymoon four years ago and it is by far the best resort and most beautiful Island we have traveled to so far. We both travel a lot for our jobs and get to stay at some pretty great places, but none get close to how wonderful that place is. I can't wait to go back.

Old 05-03-2011, 07:31 PM

9,019 posts, read 14,289,364 times
Banff Springs and Chateau Lake Louise would easily take the visually nicest, but the best hotel I've been at is the Shangri-La Makati in Manila.

Old 05-07-2011, 03:50 PM

12,322 posts, read 17,132,701 times
The Raleigh, South Beach Florida. Fond memories of dear Grandma
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel