Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-03-2011, 04:09 PM

1,338 posts, read 2,564,830 times

Advertisements

Ok, after watching random US events on TV I wondered if people can tell me about any others and ideally dates to help me plan my travels around the US?

We saw Pumpkin Chuckin on TV at thanksgiving and wondered what other events take place around the states and when they happen. We are only here for a short time and would kick ourselves if we visited somewhere only to see posters for such an event the following week.... annual rodeo competition for example....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-03-2011, 11:08 PM

44,620 posts, read 61,578,192 times
You don't say where you plan to go or how long you'll stay. I would suggest you google the areas/citie/states of interest to you and look at their monthly activities calendar. Then you can plan ahead and max your visiting time.

Old 05-04-2011, 05:42 AM

1,338 posts, read 2,564,830 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nitram View Post
You don't say where you plan to go or how long you'll stay. I would suggest you google the areas/citie/states of interest to you and look at their monthly activities calendar. Then you can plan ahead and max your visiting time.
sorry, well we want to see a lot of the US whilst we are here because once we move away I can't imagine coming back to the USA.... too much of the rest of the world I haven't seen. So we want to see as much as possible in the next year.

I booked a week in Hawaii and it is at the same time there is a championship surfing comp and it made me think I need to plan a bit more around that kind of thing.

We have 3 trips at the planning stage...
Fly to Atlanta and spend about 14 days doing a loop via Nashville, Memphis, Mississippi, New Orleans and back to Atlanta.

Fly to Orlando and drive to Key West

drive from San Francisco to San Diego.

we also want to do long weekends- (taking Friday and Monday) visiting Mt Rushmore, Niagara, Las Vegas, Chicago, Yellowstone and Washington.

I was googling the Rodeo and there were loads of places that this happens at that I had never heard of....although now we might try to be in Vegas when the final is on..
I was thinking that if events such as this occur somewhere in the vicinity of where we want to go then we could make a detour. I guess I am being slightly lazy and could google for days on end but as I had never even heard of pumpkin chuckin - for example I would not know what to look for. So as people from all over read this I am hoping to get the kind of info I could only hope of finding on google....

Also to be honest as we have so much holiday days and live close to NY city we can get to anything if its interesting enough... I read about a big state fair in Des Moines... It looks fab...I hadn't even considered this town but now its on the list...

Old 05-04-2011, 01:17 PM

10,229 posts, read 16,293,698 times
Portland's (Oregon) Safeway Waterfront Blues Festival is the second largest in the nation and extremely cheap and well-organized. But people travel from all over for it, so you'd need to reserve lodging in advance. This event occurs during the 4th of July weekend.

Also, The Oregon Country Fair in Veneta, Oregon, is another unique and very popular "hippie fair" that also draws attendees from all over.

Louisiana, land of the festivals, is always celebrating something, and there's always something going on. Many are unique to their state. Lafayette, 2 hrs from New Orleans, has a couple of big cajun festivals (one in April and another in October).

The Smithsonian in D.C., of course.

A drive to Yosemite while you're in California. Also, if you end up driving to Palm Springs, you MUST see the Indian Canyons! It's awesome and very peaceful. I met some English tourists there once who said that they travelled the Middle East extensively and have never seen anything like the Indian Palm Canyon (which is one of 3 canyons).

Old 05-04-2011, 04:09 PM

43,620 posts, read 44,346,965 times
I believe there is a famous Garlic Festival in Gilroy, California. But I don't know any further details.

Old 05-06-2011, 09:27 PM

1,238 posts, read 4,469,458 times
If you are into partying, in a more risque Mardi-Gras atmosphere, Fantasy Fest in Key West is in October. Wild assortment of diversions including toga parties, body painting, parades, etc.

Official Fantasy Fest Website - Key West, Florida

Old 05-07-2011, 11:20 AM

4,361 posts, read 7,069,986 times
Mount Rushmore, and Yellowstone Park, are both hundreds of miles /km's/ from any major airport. I think it will be very hard (difficult) for you to go there.

The USA is so very, very big, that it is hard to know where to start to advise you. Do you like certain kinds of music? Bluegrass? Mariachi? Blues? Zydeco? Do you like parades? Do you like celebrating certain nationalities/ ethnic groups?

Old 05-07-2011, 01:36 PM

12,322 posts, read 17,124,630 times
Burning man..Black rock desert. For the elite of the elite!

Old 05-08-2011, 04:51 AM

35,309 posts, read 52,274,165 times
If you can catch one of the last Space shuttle mission launches it will be memorable.. But you better hurry as i think there are only 1 or 2 missions remaining in the program..

Old 05-08-2011, 06:54 AM

26,585 posts, read 62,020,627 times
You'll find chainsaw woodcarving contests in various parts of the US at various times of the year. There's one in northern central PA in late February.

If you want something a little lower key than Fantasy Fest, check out the Hemingway Festival in Key West.

San Gennaro festival in NYC, usually around mid September.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel