Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-20-2011, 12:20 AM

72 posts, read 178,918 times

Advertisements

We have been checking airline tickets online for the last several weeks and the prices seem to stay the same. Two people around $3400.00 round trip. This is alot of money and I am worried that prices will lower in the next few weeks after purchasing the tickets.

We are leaving June 14th. Flying to Hamburg.

Airline prices can drop. When is the best time to purchase tickets without ending up paying more?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-20-2011, 05:33 AM

415 posts, read 447,752 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AmericanLeader View Post
We have been checking airline tickets online for the last several weeks and the prices seem to stay the same. Two people around $3400.00 round trip. This is alot of money and I am worried that prices will lower in the next few weeks after purchasing the tickets.

We are leaving June 14th. Flying to Hamburg.

Airline prices can drop. When is the best time to purchase tickets without ending up paying more?
No clue where you live, but LA - Hamburg 06/14-18 1470 per person, that's 2940 for both. I fly 2-3 times a year, but don't really have a strategy. I usually book 1-2 months in advance and monitor the prices the weeks before. If you can, try to fly to a different airport. That way you have 2 airports you can compare the prices to. Shopping around really does help. Sometimes, even major websites offer lower fares. For instance, expedia.com has one for the same dates as I used above 1153 per person, which is 2300 for both.

Old 05-20-2011, 05:53 AM

43,317 posts, read 44,033,973 times
Try KAYAK - Cheap Flights, Hotels, Airline Tickets, Cheap Tickets, Cheap Travel Deals - Compare Hundreds of Travel Sites At Once .

Old 05-20-2011, 06:41 AM

4,204 posts, read 4,662,421 times
from which place in USA you are flying to Hamburg. did you try American Airlines website? kayak is good site. virgin has good deals also. look at aer lingus also.

Old 05-20-2011, 06:45 AM

4,204 posts, read 4,662,421 times
if you are flying from New York, try KLM. fares are as low as 850 dollars return to Hamburg via amsterdam.

Old 05-20-2011, 03:01 PM

72 posts, read 178,918 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wallbanger View Post
No clue where you live, but LA - Hamburg 06/14-18 1470 per person, that's 2940 for both. I fly 2-3 times a year, but don't really have a strategy. I usually book 1-2 months in advance and monitor the prices the weeks before. If you can, try to fly to a different airport. That way you have 2 airports you can compare the prices to. Shopping around really does help. Sometimes, even major websites offer lower fares. For instance, expedia.com has one for the same dates as I used above 1153 per person, which is 2300 for both.
We are flying out of Orlando and the best deal we can find is to transfer in Liberty in NJ and that rate is $3,300 total including insurance. This rate is for two adults and one infant on lap ($400 for infant) Only one stop in NJ same for return flight.

I just keep thinking the rates might go down. This is alot of money to spend. The last time we went was 2009 and that rate round trip was about $1,900 for two adults.

Old 05-20-2011, 03:08 PM

92 posts, read 154,363 times
Apparently the best day for International Flights to buy is on a Thursday, but there really is not exact science when it comes to booking flights.

I would not compare the rates this year with past travels, this year has turned out to be a very expensive year for travelers overall.

If you are using a search engine though, I would stay away from Kayak for International and use (http://www.momondo.com/) Much better option for overseas.

Old 05-22-2011, 08:05 PM

8,568 posts, read 18,041,558 times
Although the price is the best of all the airlines, stay away from Air Europe if you have connecting flights, unless it's another AirEuropa flight. That way, when the original flight has a 2 hr delay in departure, its 2 hour delayed arrival time will still leave you plenty of time for the 4 hour delayed connecting flight.

Other than delays - both in going and coming and it being the airline with the most seats squished into an airplane, it wasn't bad if you are 5' or under with short legs. My cousin who travelled with my husband and I found enough room that he knees did not get banged by the seat in front of her. I am only 5'4 and wasn't so lucky. Plus, don't sit in outside seats unless you like it really warm and don't sit in the middle unless you like it really chilly.

Good luck and enjoy your trip on any other airline.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel