Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-23-2011, 10:14 AM

3,484 posts, read 9,417,373 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mgt04 View Post
How soon we forget those hikers that wandered into Iran by mistake.
Illegally crossing a country's borders will generally get you in trouble in any country in the world, whether it be the US or Iran.

The lesson to be learned is don't hike along border crossings with ill-marked boundaries, especially if said country does not have friendly relations with your country of residence.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-23-2011, 10:25 AM

7,032 posts, read 14,476,279 times
Feel free to smoke marijuana in Iran if that's your thing.. they're surprisingly more lenient towards it than the US (it's legal to be grown there.)

Old 05-23-2011, 10:42 AM

9,091 posts, read 19,216,031 times
I've heard a lot of really good things about Iran and the people there - however, there is still a hostile element to it and you are pretty much there without a safety net where you could be fine one day then be a target the next due to something that is happening in some other nation

there are many fine nations - i don't think the risk/reward makes much sense at this time

Old 05-23-2011, 12:11 PM

9,519 posts, read 14,738,090 times
Rick Steves has a good video about Iran which he was selling really cheap. I think it was $5 when I got mine. Go to ricksteves.com/iran.

Old 05-23-2011, 01:40 PM

9,846 posts, read 22,670,235 times
This one dutch girl I know went skiing there and she said she couldn't wait to get out of the country. She is a very experienced world traveler who been to every continent/many countries and iran was the worst for her.

I've also read a lot of trip reports from motorcyclists and their reaction is mixed. There is a lot of bureaucracy and state security to deal with it and lots of rules and regs to deal with. Getting visas for US citizens is very hard and you open yourself up to a lot of issues if you run afoul of rules you might not even be aware of. I think the problem is less from the people, more from the government.

Old 05-23-2011, 08:14 PM

3,111 posts, read 8,052,854 times
I am thinking of traveling from Chechnya to Baghdad, then head over to Iran, with my final stop in Kabul. Maybe, I will stop off in Syria.

Yes, Iran has some good skiing.

Old 05-23-2011, 11:26 PM

2,957 posts, read 12,721,752 times
Kabul to Chechnya to Baghdad to Iran over land?

You've got visas for all that? Or you're planning to wing it?

Tell us more. Cuz that's crazy.

Old 05-24-2011, 12:35 AM

42,554 posts, read 86,936,034 times
I spent a week there, in the 70s, driving through in my car. Iran is one my favorite countries in the world. Thee people are wonderful, generous, hospitable. They take very good care of their country, and love beautiful things. Towns are very neat and tidy and well kept, green and shady with lots of flowers, in contrast to the stark countryside.

But a visa is nowadays, difficult to get for Americans. All other nationalities are free to enter and move about, mostly with a visa issued at the border. But Americans have to jump through a lot of hoops to get a visa, and travel with a pre-planned itinerary.

Generally, not too many customs to worry about. They've seen plenty of foreigners, and pretty well know how they behave. Never use your left hand while eating, especially if there are Muslims at your table. There might be a few who will want to express displeasure with the presence of an American, but they will be greatly outnumbered by those who want you to see why they are so proud of their country, and make your visit pleasantly memorable. Never ask anybody in uniform (police, etc.) for help, or directions or anything. Just avoid them if at all possible.

Last edited by jtur88; 05-24-2011 at 12:49 AM..

Old 05-24-2011, 06:44 PM

9,846 posts, read 22,670,235 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrEarth View Post
I am thinking of traveling from Chechnya to Baghdad, then head over to Iran, with my final stop in Kabul. Maybe, I will stop off in Syria.

Yes, Iran has some good skiing.
Well good luck. And good luck with getting those visas.

I know many people on the ground in iraq and afghanistan that deal with security and while yes there are some grateful, hospitable people, there are also some that if given the opportunity will snatch you and that will be that.

Northern iraq right now is safer, but going to baghdad and kabul on foot by yerself is asking for it.

Let us know how it goes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel