Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Would you want to fly childfree??
Yes, uncontrollable crying drives me crazy!! 52 75.36%
No, crying doesn't bother me. 17 24.64%
Voters: 69. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-03-2011, 11:40 AM

3,484 posts, read 9,421,006 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by vermonter16 View Post
I would want a 'lack of parental control free' flight.

I don't mind crying babies....babies cry. As long as I see the parent trying to do something about - that kid can cry and cry and I'm ok....in fact, I'll try and help them if they need it. But for the parents that do nothing - that irks me. And for the parent that does nothing while the kid is in the seat repeatedly kicking mine - that irks me too.

I don't mind kids....as long as the parents are minding them.
I agree with all of the above and I don't have any children so I am probably less tolerant of kids screaming than many of you.

I would say 9 times out of 10 it is the parents that are the root of the issue. The parent who lets the kid scream without trying to do anything about it, the parent who lets the kids roam free on the plane, the parent who lets their kid kick the seat in front of them incessantly...these are the people I would pay to get away from.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-03-2011, 11:46 AM

2,501 posts, read 3,649,058 times
Let them think that. Too manny peopel are intimmidated into silence and that only makes the problem worse. Bad behavior should be confronted and the people shamed into doing something about it.

There is no excuse for small children to cry during the flight. Babies cry and there is little that can be done so there should be baby-free flights, not child-free. Children sould be able to be controlled by their parents. That's a parent's job.

Ya you're right! I think we let the "Angry Momma" thing get out if hand so they think they can just let their kids cry without doing anything. I realize that not all parents are like this. But still, I think we should say something and not let PC get in the way of it!!

Old 06-03-2011, 12:33 PM

1,338 posts, read 2,565,813 times
'If you are going to take your child out in public can you at least teach it some manners' is one line I use when I'm being irritated by someones badly behaved child....

Old 06-03-2011, 01:02 PM

2,987 posts, read 5,250,398 times
This idea would fail, as people won't pay the extra $ for a childfree flight...and the airline would surely charge more for it. Crying babies and children don't bother me, I use headphones. I am more irritated by wide people in seats next to me, but I still deal with them. I go into a flight not expecting an awesome time, and it normally makes my experience better....but I am a pretty tolerant and patient person.

Old 06-03-2011, 01:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by swisswife View Post
'If you are going to take your child out in public can you at least teach it some manners' is one line I use when I'm being irritated by someones badly behaved child....
Thank you!! For us people who are irritated by ill-behaved children, we news to be more gutsy like swisswife here!! Kudos to you ma'am.

Old 06-03-2011, 01:32 PM

16,670 posts, read 17,435,450 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CancerianMoonPrincess View Post
At least you can say something to the adults. You can't say anything to kids because the parents will think you're some kind of horrible monster.
So?

You looking to meet up for a reunion?

Old 06-03-2011, 01:38 PM

1,739 posts, read 1,916,583 times
I see no reason those on both sides of the camp can't be accomodated. I don't understand why parents would object to someone else having a seperate quiet space that would be gauranteed to be a quiet zone for those who desire and/or outright NEED peace and quiet in the first place.

Let's face it..the world has become such a noisy place as it is. I see nothing wrong with trying to cut down on unneccessary noise altogether. For me that would also include excessive lawn mowing/leaf blowing (I despise those things with the fire of a thousand suns), boom-boom cars, certain types of motorcycle etc etc.

I believe that excessive/ongoing noise is indeed assault, just as much as walking up and hitting someone in the face. I'm tired of seeing noise pollution taken so lightly. And I"m definitely tired of hearing about noise sensitive & those who live by Silence is Golden pooh-poohed and basically told that if they don't like all the noise, then they could just go live on the Moon.

Those, like me, who object to excessive noise have just as much a right to our places of quiet (think of how libraries used to be treated and even the reverence for nature) as the noise makers have to be here.

This is why I think that there's no reason both sides can't be accomodated.

Old 06-03-2011, 01:55 PM

1,338 posts, read 2,565,813 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CancerianMoonPrincess View Post
Thank you!! For us people who are irritated by ill-behaved children, we news to be more gutsy like swisswife here!! Kudos to you ma'am.
well to be honest I am possibly the LEAST tolerant person I know. and most of my friends would support that
If mums are struggling with babies who are suffering air pressure etc then fair enough but some peoples children are just monsters and allowed to annoy everyone around them.

Old 06-03-2011, 04:52 PM

651 posts, read 780,004 times
You can not forbid children to travel by air

It is a basic right to get from point A to point B.

Some parents may assume a different attitude, and give there children a better education

Old 06-03-2011, 05:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by swisswife View Post
well to be honest I am possibly the LEAST tolerant person I know. and most of my friends would support that
If mums are struggling with babies who are suffering air pressure etc then fair enough but some peoples children are just monsters and allowed to annoy everyone around them.
Yeah! I know! I read somewhere that giving babies something to suck on such as a pacifier, actually helps with ear pressure. But for those whose kids are not dealing with ear pressure, they do need to control them better, I don't care how tired you are.

Also, if the CF flights don't happen, then I hope they at least make some kind if soundproof wall to separate the mothers with crying children from the adults who do not have (or have the patience for) children.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel