Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Would you want to fly childfree??
Yes, uncontrollable crying drives me crazy!! 52 75.36%
No, crying doesn't bother me. 17 24.64%
Voters: 69. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-05-2011, 10:30 AM

1,739 posts, read 1,916,583 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by delany View Post
You can not forbid children to travel by air

It is a basic right to get from point A to point B.
Since when ? There's a lot of places I need to go but can't because of no gas money, bus fare, or whatever. If it was a basic right to get from point A to point B we would all be given cars at birth

Also, I don't see anyone talking about forbidding anything to anyone. All that's being proposed is basically a quiet zone for those who don't want to travel in the noisy zones. What's wrong with that ? Two seperate planes. Kids can still get from point a to point b. This idea that if kids aren't allowed everywhere it's discrimination is ludicrous. What's wrong with having adult only spaces ? This arguement (which shouldn't even be an arguement) boggles the mind.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-05-2011, 01:10 PM

3,078 posts, read 11,064,608 times
It wouldn't be the worst idea for an airline to implement a children-free zone, with no kids under 6 or so allowed, on their seating charts when you select seats. Being 2-3 rows in front or behind a screaming baby is loads better than being directly in front of or beside one.

Then again, this is probably unworkable as airlines don't have control over how many kids are on any particular flight.

Given the many modes of transportation of varying quality I've been on, even with a screaming baby or badly-behaved or obese passenger next to you, Airlines are still pretty comfortable, and I don't begrudge any of these people the ability to travel.

Old 06-05-2011, 01:32 PM

71 posts, read 104,502 times
I think it is so inconsiderate when parents dont do ANYTHING when their kid is screaming their head off, especially when on a plane where people can't escape from the noise.

No wonder why your kid is a fricken brat- it's because you're a moron and they know they can get away with it!

Old 06-06-2011, 12:05 AM

5,545 posts, read 2,037,402 times
I can't stand crying babies/children, and don't think they should be allowed on the plane if they can't be controlled by their parents. I frequently fly between Dallas and New York (in the morning), and encounter a mix of suits, tourists, and sometimes crying babies/children. The only thing that irks me more than crying babies on a plane are sick people coughing and sneezing everywhere in a closed environment with recycled air... I hate flying.

Old 06-06-2011, 08:51 AM

2,501 posts, read 3,649,058 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bandon View Post
Since when ? There's a lot of places I need to go but can't because of no gas money, bus fare, or whatever. If it was a basic right to get from point A to point B we would all be given cars at birth

Also, I don't see anyone talking about forbidding anything to anyone. All that's being proposed is basically a quiet zone for those who don't want to travel in the noisy zones. What's wrong with that ? Two seperate planes. Kids can still get from point a to point b. This idea that if kids aren't allowed everywhere it's discrimination is ludicrous. What's wrong with having adult only spaces ? This arguement (which shouldn't even be an arguement) boggles the mind.
This is what I was proposing!! I wasn't suggesting that they no longer allow babies/small children to fly. I was suggesting that they have separate planes. One for people who have families and another for people who don't have patience for bad parents who do nothing to calm their fussy children down.

Old 06-06-2011, 12:10 PM

17,573 posts, read 46,144,871 times
Quote:
You can not forbid children to travel by air

Some parents may assume a different attitude, and give there children a better education
I'm pretty sure no one is suggesting children would be forbidden from flying.

Old 06-06-2011, 07:43 PM

7,507 posts, read 4,399,446 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CancerianMoonPrincess View Post
How would you feel about flying on childfree airlines?

I personally am in favor of them because I have been on flights where there were small children behind me crying nonstop for 5 hours!! I don't want to deal with that. I know kids cry and get fussy and all that jazz, but there are cases where the parent does absolutely nothing and it pisses me off!!

I realize that there are business classes but can't we have flights where it's not only cheap, but you don't have to make special requests to not sit next to or near small children??
I like kids and I'm actually OK with little crying (hunger for food or something)...But as you said, when parents do nothing is when I wonder.. Discriminatory? Not in a favor of that. I'm sure you wouldn't want to be discriminated against either.

Old 06-06-2011, 09:27 PM

1,096 posts, read 4,527,116 times
Flying is a pain in the ass and there's so many categories of annoying people who really cares if you get rid of babies.

I agree screaming is super annoying and parents who sit there and don't even try to do anything suck but like others have said flying sucks becuase of people with bo, halitosis, fat people who hang over into your seat, kids who look over the bakc of their seat at you, people who kick your seat ,etc.

Maybe on a flight to Australia I'd pay extra for no kids but for 3-5 hours and can put up with the experience sucking.

Old 06-07-2011, 08:52 AM

3,644 posts, read 6,305,063 times
Quote:
No it's not, as the TSA reminds us every day.

Something that is a 'right' can not have a financial cost associated with it that another person pays for. If it does then you make a slave out of that person by demanding their time and/or money to provide for your 'right'. Air travel is most certainly not a right.

Old 06-07-2011, 09:43 AM

2,501 posts, read 3,649,058 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rogerbacon View Post
No it's not, as the TSA reminds us every day.

Something that is a 'right' can not have a financial cost associated with it that another person pays for. If it does then you make a slave out of that person by demanding their time and/or money to provide for your 'right'. Air travel is most certainly not a right.
we may have the "right" to fly, but because we pay for it, it's a privilege to fly.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel