Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-21-2011, 11:31 PM

10,206 posts, read 15,910,503 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by annerk View Post
There's a difference between discreet but attentive, polished, professional "my pleasure" fine dining service and over the top TGIF style service--especially if the server slides into your booth to take your order--I HATE that. My tip reflects that difference.

PS--The only time I'm OK with a server sitting down at my table is when we go to a local family type place and we tell our friend who is a server there to sit and chat for a few if we're there on a slow night. Big difference.
Often the best service really is not the fancy, well trained kind but those places where your waitress is genuinely friendly, usually in those places like Waffle House or Denny's or esecially little diners where they really do not have to be friendly to you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-25-2011, 08:36 PM

5 posts, read 7,190 times
europeans are stingy as they come they would take the tip money if you werent looking

Old 07-26-2011, 06:19 AM

13,026 posts, read 24,619,938 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jackinoff View Post
europeans are stingy as they come they would take the tip money if you werent looking
Really ?! So how come in Europe it is quite common to leave the cash on the table for your meal or drinks and just leave. I still do it regularily myself.

I haven't heard of restaurants or bars moaning that someone hasn't paid their bills and I have yet to see anyone take that easy cash. I have a few friends/acquaintances in the restaurant business and they have never mentioned being cheated once.

Grow up. Quite frankly your ignorance does you no credit.

Old 07-26-2011, 07:04 AM

35,309 posts, read 52,274,165 times
My mom used to be a waitress and one of her jokes was..
Whats the difference between a European and a canoe?

A canoe tips!!

Old 07-26-2011, 08:05 AM

2,053 posts, read 4,814,140 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jambo101 View Post

A canoe tips!!
I am not really sure why there is a huge blank space in your post... lack of content, maybe?

The joke... OMG, so incredibly smart and funny.

Old 07-26-2011, 10:22 PM

24,620 posts, read 28,271,474 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jackinoff View Post
Well aren't you just the savvy traveler.
Probably never met a European.

So you think it's okay that restaurant owners pay their staff $2.25 an hour and expect their patrons to pay the wages of their employees?

Quote:
Originally Posted by jambo101 View Post

A canoe tips!!
I see that your lack of cultural understanding is a family thing.
Ignorance is nothing to brag about.

Old 07-26-2011, 10:46 PM

39,031 posts, read 23,012,380 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rfr69 View Post
Guess what, your cheap and hdiing it under the guise of "culture".

Since you stated that you Europens restaurants pay better and dont rely on tips and US doesn't you understand that waiters, bartenders, etc count on tips nad only make like $3 an hour so you not tipping is hurting their pockets.

You sorta make an interesting point about why are you basically subsidizing the owner of the restaurant meaning he can pay less but you have to partly pay his employees. It's a good point and you had me thinkingt long and hard but guess what eating in Europe costs a fortune. I imagine not in whole but in part b/c the tip is included in the meal price.

If the owner didn't want his waiters to accept tips you would probably wind up paying a few bucks more for your meal but in the US we dont do it that way.

You obviously understand the culture nad are using the guise Im from a place where we dont tip so its okay. Ever heard the phrase when in rome?
So I guess tipping is charity here in the US ... It's not the customer's job to pay someone their wages and that's where the American way is screwed up. I tip if the service justifies it NOT because the server is not being paid enough. I am a customer NOT an employer!

Old 07-26-2011, 10:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ABQConvict View Post
If you are paying a service bill in the U.S., you are not paying their salary, you are paying them directly for the service they provided you. If you think you have already paid and then leave without leaving a decent tip, you have just stolen the service provided to you.

If you don't want to think of yourself as 'cheap' think of yourself as a 'thief' instead. It would be more accurate, anyway.
Yup ... This post has "entitlement" written all over it ...

Old 07-26-2011, 11:01 PM

591 posts, read 866,023 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SunJoaquin View Post
Were the Europeans French? Because tipping is something NOT generally practiced in France, not even in restaurants.

That's because by law they have a tip added to their bills in Europe, so to pay another one seems like extortion.

I am surprised nobody has brought this fact up so far in this thread.

Last edited by Doctor Blues; 07-26-2011 at 11:02 PM.. Reason: typo

Old 07-26-2011, 11:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dd714 View Post
It's obvious that a bad tipper will also be treated poorly upon return. What's to not understand? If you still a server on the tip and come back, expect the server to cough up a loogie into your soup (if it's real bad service and I choose to stiff the servor for that reason, I wouldn't be back anyways).

And here we have the ultimate solution, the bad tipper database. A bit silly, but here it is, complete with names and addresses when you dive into it:

Lousy Tippers
Sorry but servers that do this stuff are plain disgusting and makes me lose respect for the industry! This type of barbaric behavior flies in the face of customer service and should NEVER be tolerated!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel