Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-19-2014, 10:11 AM

10,864 posts, read 16,985,364 times

Advertisements

Yes, just like I meant lack of comprehension. People have empathy issues. People have entitlement issues. People have comprehension issues.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-19-2014, 10:25 AM

16,393 posts, read 30,258,017 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by timberline742 View Post
The last company I was with lost two different admin assistants in the upper 40k range that went to bartending and waitressing full time as they earned considerably more bartending and waitressing, even accounting for them paying their own benefits.

Back in my younger days as a CPA, I would help friends with their tax returns. Bring a six pack and pizza and we'll work on TurboTax together (so I don't have to help you next year ...).

One friend was a waiter at a great Chicagoans restaurant. I took a look at his W2, looked at him and asked him, "you , really made that much.". He responded sheepishly, "no, that is all I reported (to my employer."

However, at the bar the next week, he was complaining how hard it was to live on the minimum wage. (g)

Old 10-01-2014, 11:07 PM

13 posts, read 11,398 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by k374 View Post
The crew of this boat and the guide worked VERY hard during the cruise and I feel really deserved the tips but where shortchanged by these people which is quite pathetic!
Didn't you already pay for the boat and tour?

It's kinda silly to charge you 3 times; the official price and then hit you up for a tip for crew, tip for guide.

And BTW, the ONLY reason they do this is because they know Americans tip. It's not like people in the region work for tips. They only do this in tourist areas, to get extra money out of Americans. This is also why they usually small talk and try to figure out if you're an American.

I can usually pass for non-American, and that's what I say. And it's really amusing how at the end of various tours, they nag and surround the Americans begging for tips, but hardly say anything to me.

Anyway, tipping is iniquitous, while pretending to be generous. It's a system designed to allow employers to screw over employees. This is how they can get away with paying peanuts to employees, leaving the salary bill to the mercy of the customers.

Old 10-02-2014, 03:40 PM

556 posts, read 945,901 times
I'd say Europeans (in general) are the opposite of stingy. They expect that businesses will pay employees a proper wage, and that prices reflect that wage. They are willing to pay a higher price up front because the price reflects the full cost of providing a service. When service works are paid a fair wage, then tips are a token gesture, and not an essential part of a person's income. The American practice of underpaying people on an hourly basis and using tips to make up the difference reveals our own stinginess, as Americans in general have strong negative reactions to menu/sticker prices that reflect the full cost of a service.

Old 10-03-2014, 01:37 PM

43,610 posts, read 44,341,041 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by k374 View Post

Why are Europeans so against tipping? The crew of this boat and the guide worked VERY hard during the cruise and I feel really deserved the tips but where shortchanged by these people which is quite pathetic!
From my experience in Europe as well as many other parts of the world service is included in general and people don't tip. So if tipping is not part of one's culture it doesn't necessarily make them stingy.

Old 10-08-2014, 12:57 PM

26,585 posts, read 62,017,224 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chava61 View Post
From my experience in Europe as well as many other parts of the world service is included in general and people don't tip. So if tipping is not part of one's culture it doesn't necessarily make them stingy.
It makes them stingy when they are well aware of American culture and choose to ignore it. When in Rome...

Old 10-08-2014, 01:45 PM

10,839 posts, read 14,714,912 times
you are wrong. It is not just the Europeans who dislike tipping. It is the entire world except America and Canada who are not used to 15%+ tipping.

Ask people in south America, Asia and most people don't like tipping either. The Europeans can ask: why are Americans so stingy and refuse to paid the service people sufficient wages? $5 or $6 an hour for waiting at the time is unbelievable.

One thing I enjoy traveling outside North America is you don't need to tip and you don't need to add sales tax to the bill. The way Americans and Canadians do things is really annoying. in Canada, when the price is $100, you end up paying $130, which is ridiculous.

Old 10-08-2014, 01:52 PM

15,064 posts, read 6,166,377 times
Just different culturally...that's all.

Old 10-08-2014, 02:40 PM

10,639 posts, read 16,017,724 times
Old money knows how to keep it in their pockets.

Old 10-09-2014, 08:23 AM

17,273 posts, read 9,550,144 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by annerk View Post
It makes them stingy when they are well aware of American culture and choose to ignore it. When in Rome...
No, it's not. They don't tip in Malaysia but because I'm used to tipping, I tipped. When in Rome...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel