U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-27-2007, 08:42 PM

37 posts, read 21,516 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dolfan View Post
I traveled to the northern tip of Sweden that was actually part of the Artic Circle.
Can you describe this more? I'd love to hear about it......
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-28-2007, 08:59 AM

311 posts, read 1,294,928 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by alias View Post
Can you describe this more? I'd love to hear about it......
A number of years ago I traveled to Sweden with a group of teenagers to spend the summer renovating a couple of buildings for a group called YWAM (Youth With a Mission). We flew into Helsinki, took a boat to Stockholm and a train to a small town called Jorn. We spent most of our time there, but towards the end of our stay, we spent a day sightseeing and traveled by bus to the northernmost part of the country. We were far enough north to actually be in the artic circle. It was summer, so the days were very long. I recall seeing a lot of reindeer and a beautiful countryside. In general I thought Sweden was a really nice country and I enjoyed my time there.

Old 08-28-2007, 12:25 PM

1,054 posts, read 4,683,848 times
Johnston Atoll. Spent a day there. I think it was one of the most isolated places on Earth (i.e. farthest from other people). It is now deserted, except for a lot of birds.

Johnston Atoll - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
PI - Johnston Island NWR (http://www.fws.gov/pacificislands/wnwr/pjohnsnwr.html - broken link)

Old 05-31-2009, 10:31 AM

9 posts, read 6,246 times
Edna Bay, Alaska (Edna Bay Alaska Home). Population of about 50 on a remote Alaskan island, 60 miles west of the continental mainland, with no means of access other than private boat or seaplane. Closest town with services such as banks, restaurants, lodging, doctors, etc, is Craig, Alaska which is a 40 mile trip by boat south from Edna Bay through waters that can get very rough when the weather picks up – which can happen often. You can’t get much more remote than this in the USA.

Old 05-31-2009, 11:25 AM

7,912 posts, read 8,431,910 times
several small coffee farms and/or private ranches in the guatemalan jungles. thatsa about it for me. maybe the side of a mountain alone in the wyoming rockies?

Old 05-31-2009, 11:47 AM

14,618 posts, read 14,572,546 times
Around two hundred miles inside the Arctic Circle and -30 degrees.

Old 05-31-2009, 01:48 PM

83 posts, read 303,315 times
I got to see the Tree of Life in the Bahraini desert. The story is that the tree dates from Adam and Eve. In fact, the tree is something like 200 years old. Still, it is striking to see this big green tree all by itself out in the Bahraini desert. The tree must have very deep roots and able to draw from some underground water source as Bahrain gets VERY little rain. As far as distance is concerned, the tree isn't super far from civilization as Bahrain is no more than 30 miles long and 10 miles wide at its widest point. Like The Netherlands, Bahrain is growing in landmass as the Bahraini dredge up sand from the sea bottom, press all the water out and thereby create new land. The land the apartment building was built on that I stayed at in Bahrain only 10 years before was underwater.

Old 05-31-2009, 03:04 PM

305 posts, read 490,597 times
Stewart Island, New Zealand...about 20 miles below the bottom of South Island. Looking at its position and latitude on the map, I expected a wind-blown wasteland possibly with more sheep than people. I was pleasantly surprised to find a landscape and climate which would not be out of place in Puget Sound. I was there in mid-winter, and experienced temps around the 50 mark with on and off rain separated by very pleasant interludes of clear skies.

Old 05-31-2009, 09:00 PM

563 posts, read 2,352,055 times
All of these places sound fascinating and I wonder what brought some of you to these places. Truly unique and memorable experiences.

Old 06-01-2009, 08:39 AM

83 posts, read 303,315 times
When I was in the military, I was stationed for a year in Bahrain. I very much enjoyed it. You could go diving for pearls there. Mind you, you had to have some serious luck to find a really nice one but, people did find them occasionally. Also, they have a go-kart race track there that you can race twin engine go-karts on. They don't worry about getting sued so you can really fly on the course. It was a blast! Last, if you like to haggle, Bahrain is for you. You could find some bargains there. It was also a good place to buy gold. The only bad thing about the place were the hot and humid summers. It was like walking around an outdoor sauna then.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or