Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Layovers: Do they count?
Yes 15 20.27%
No 59 79.73%
Voters: 74. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-17-2011, 04:13 PM

24,620 posts, read 28,271,474 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post
The rule of thumb I use is that if I am legally admitted to the country, through proper immigration procedures, it counts as a visit.

Even this, though, can be dubious. For example, if you are on a boat that passes through a country's territorial waters, and officials board the boat and inspect the papers of everyone on board, does that constitute a visit?
I used to travel as a courier (cheap flights) and never counted the Tokyo airport as a visit to Japan.
Does anyone really think they've experienced a culture at an airport? Really?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chava61 View Post
What about if during your layover you met with local family or friends who came to the airport and you sat and had a meal with them?
Do you really think that's visiting a country or city?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-18-2011, 08:16 PM

39,031 posts, read 23,012,380 times
I don't consider a layover as "visiting" a place but I do purchase magnets for my refrigerator collections at layover points.

Old 07-21-2011, 11:40 PM

10,206 posts, read 15,910,503 times
I count it when I have a window seat (which I always request or check in early on Southwest) and am able to see the major landmarks from the plane, or a significant amount of the area. For example I have flown through Chicago several times and seen the entire lakefront and downtown from the air which honestly beats being in the observation deck in the John Hancock tower given a plane is higher.....

Old 07-22-2011, 08:38 AM

16,391 posts, read 30,917,838 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Lennox 70 View Post
I count it when I have a window seat (which I always request or check in early on Southwest) and am able to see the major landmarks from the plane, or a significant amount of the area. For example I have flown through Chicago several times and seen the entire lakefront and downtown from the air which honestly beats being in the observation deck in the John Hancock tower given a plane is higher.....
This logic doesn't make sense to me, so if you are having a conversation with someone about say you've visited Chicago, and they ask what you thought of it.. do you make up a response or do you then say "well I have only seen it from the sky"

Old 07-22-2011, 10:13 AM

1,161 posts, read 1,858,573 times
For myself, no, I would not count an airport stop as "visiting". But, I wouldn't get all wound up either if someone else does.

Or would the "travel police" come get me???

Old 07-22-2011, 03:18 PM

44,620 posts, read 61,578,192 times
If you never leave the airport under any circumstances, that is considered a stop over, lay over, or passed through experience.

Old 07-22-2011, 10:41 PM

2,567 posts, read 5,311,455 times
I don't count an airport stop because I want the personal challenge and experiential rigor of really getting out and seeing things. If people come to the airport to say hi and dine with you, you can say you've visited with those people and that you've been in the airport, but you can't claim to have visited the country and its culture in any meaningful way. Same with rest stops while driving in the US: you can say you've "been" there, physically speaking, but a "visit" should be more substantial and less fleeting.

Old 07-24-2011, 06:41 AM

42,554 posts, read 86,928,948 times
OK, here's one for you. I was on a train from Vilnius to Warsaw, when it was the USSR. The train passed through Grodno, which was then still USSR, but it is now Belarus. I got off on the platform and stretched my legs and bought a pastry from a vendor. Q: Can I count Belarus? What if I had not gotten off the train, and just looked out my window at the activity on the platform? Could I count it then? What if the train didn't even stop in Grodno. Still count Belarus?

Old 07-24-2011, 08:52 AM

2,567 posts, read 5,311,455 times
That's a great scenario. If the train hadn't stopped, I surely wouldn't count that as much of anything. (If I'm in an airplane and fly over Missouri on my way to the airport in Kansas, was I in Missouri?) But the train did stop, and you at least had an interaction at the station. But I wouldn't really consider that "visiting" Grodno (or Belarus), either. At best, I would say "I've been there"--pretty generic, but it doesn't overrepresent the nature of your stopover. OTOH, it's not like a lot of us get to visit Belarus, so, for storytelling purposes (about your Vilnius/Warsaw trip in general), it could be fun to claim a visit--however fleeting and minimal. For my own personal travel account, however, I wouldn't include it as a real visit. Thus, a little more incentive to return and really dig in.

Old 07-24-2011, 07:13 PM

4,100 posts, read 4,514,622 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post
OK, here's one for you. I was on a train from Vilnius to Warsaw, when it was the USSR. The train passed through Grodno, which was then still USSR, but it is now Belarus. I got off on the platform and stretched my legs and bought a pastry from a vendor. Q: Can I count Belarus? What if I had not gotten off the train, and just looked out my window at the activity on the platform? Could I count it then? What if the train didn't even stop in Grodno. Still count Belarus?
great example. In my own (flawed ) "rules" for this sorta thing the only way you could've counted Belarus/Grodno is getting off the train and stretching your legs...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel