Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-16-2011, 05:10 PM

4,713 posts, read 9,703,287 times

Advertisements

This tacks on to the thread about people carrying too much crap onto a plane as their biggest pet peeve when flying.

My biggest issue is that, about 10-15 minutes before the gate agents start boarding a plane, it seems like half of the people get up and start clustering up right in front of the jetway door. Why do people feel a need to do this? Are they afraid that the plane is going to leave without them?

If your ticket says that you are in boarding Zone 5, you have no reason to be standing right at the counter before they even start pre-boarding...all you are doing is getting in the way of the people boarding in higher zones.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-16-2011, 05:30 PM

737 posts, read 2,587,902 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tober138 View Post
This tacks on to the thread about people carrying too much crap onto a plane as their biggest pet peeve when flying.

My biggest issue is that, about 10-15 minutes before the gate agents start boarding a plane, it seems like half of the people get up and start clustering up right in front of the jetway door. Why do people feel a need to do this? Are they afraid that the plane is going to leave without them?

If your ticket says that you are in boarding Zone 5, you have no reason to be standing right at the counter before they even start pre-boarding...all you are doing is getting in the way of the people boarding in higher zones.
Because they're all jockeying for position in order get as much into the overhead bin.

Old 06-16-2011, 05:36 PM

5,404 posts, read 15,995,916 times
My best flights are the ones where I'm nearly the last on the plane! Assuming you have an assigned seat (and maybe that's why folks are lining up...to get a good seat!) it makes no sense to board 1st and sit there for 30 mins or more while everyone else takes their own sweet time with getting onboard!

Old 06-16-2011, 05:56 PM

3,720 posts, read 9,998,561 times
It's all about the luggage. With airlines charging for checked bags, everyone is trying to carry on all their stuff. And it can be quite a drag sitting in row 12 and have your bags back at row 22. Or them checking your luggage b/c no space.

We always check. I would rather pay the $20 than worry about jamming on the airplane. I always tried to be one of the last people on the plane, but my 5-year old loves getting on as quickly as possible so we jam in there with everyone else

Old 06-16-2011, 08:37 PM

4,713 posts, read 9,703,287 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cb at sea View Post
Assuming you have an assigned seat (and maybe that's why folks are lining up...to get a good seat!) it makes no sense to board 1st and sit there for 30 mins or more while everyone else takes their own sweet time with getting onboard!
Folks lining up to get a "good seat" do not factor in to this. I don't fly on any airline that won't assign me a seat.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NinaN View Post
It's all about the luggage. With airlines charging for checked bags, everyone is trying to carry on all their stuff. And it can be quite a drag sitting in row 12 and have your bags back at row 22. Or them checking your luggage b/c no space.
I get that, but when an airline boards by zones (zone 1, zone 2, etc.) why do people in zones 3, 4, 5, etc. crowd up the space in front of the gate when they know that they have to let a lot of other passengers board before they do?

Old 06-17-2011, 03:04 AM

13,395 posts, read 45,023,398 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tober138 View Post

I get that, but when an airline boards by zones (zone 1, zone 2, etc.) why do people in zones 3, 4, 5, etc. crowd up the space in front of the gate when they know that they have to let a lot of other passengers board before they do?
They want to be the first in their zone. Sometimes people traveling together are even in separate zones (but I think they are allowed to board together.)

The gate crowding never used to be this bad, no matter what kind of seat assignment was used. Again, it's all about the carry-ons.

Old 06-17-2011, 04:41 AM

10,214 posts, read 17,877,384 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SunsetBeachFL View Post
Because they're all jockeying for position in order get as much into the overhead bin.
Exactly. And this is why I try to travel with a carry on that fits under the seat instead, so I don't have to deal with that crap. I once flew with my SIL who had started travelling with just a carry on so she didn't have to deal with checking luggage and collecting from baggage claim. But she spent the whole time leading up to boarding worrying about whether she'd find enough overhead space to fit her carry on (which of course was the max size allowed). Plus, it meant hauling around a pretty big and heavy carry on. So the "convenience" of not having to deal with baggage claim just didn't seem worth it to me. Not surprisingly, I think she may have abandoned this method now.

Old 06-17-2011, 05:38 AM

16,669 posts, read 17,435,450 times
My stuff, little that it is, fits under the seat.

They can queue and huff and puff. I'm in no hurry to spend any longer in the aircraft, especially with my long legs.

It's the same when the aircraft lands- people can't wait to be first in line to get off. There may be an arguement to get to the front of the line for immigration, but we have to wait for baggage on the carousel.

People do like to stress themselves out unnecessarily.

Old 06-17-2011, 07:24 AM

3,484 posts, read 9,421,006 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SunsetBeachFL View Post
Yup. That's the only reason. If airlines actually enforced their size limits regarding carry-ons, this wouldn't even be an issue. I refer to those gate crowders as "gate lice."

Old 06-17-2011, 07:36 AM

14,993 posts, read 23,892,069 times
"Gate Lice", ha you must visit the flyter talk forum. A common term.
Yeah I never got that either, and the most frustrating thing is, as a top level frequent flyer that commonly gets into zone 1 with upgrades, is I have to almost fight my way through the waiting mass of people just to board the plane. So much I want to say "sit the f*** down you won't be boarding for 10 minutes".

But I can offer two explanations besides the reasons listed above:
-In main hubs you would be amazed how many people are basic level frequent flyers and are entitled to board in zone 2. Thanks credit card promotions for that. In Atlanta on Delta, on a monday morning, half the plance will be silver medallion or above.
-People just don't know better. The other half of the plane are first time flyers. Assigned seating? Zones? What's that?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel