Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-18-2011, 08:00 PM

16,393 posts, read 30,282,333 times

Advertisements

When a person is involved in FOUR separate accidents in a short period of time, you have to wonder what driving behavior is causing the accidents. Part of the skills of driving is to avoid accidents.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-19-2011, 12:28 PM

6,351 posts, read 21,535,238 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jlawrence01 View Post
When a person is involved in FOUR separate accidents in a short period of time, you have to wonder what driving behavior is causing the accidents. Part of the skills of driving is to avoid accidents.
Granted, we don't know the "rest of the story". But my firm belief is that my 15 years of trucking with only one (it was non-preventable) crash was the result of AT LEAST as much luck as it was skill.

Old 07-19-2011, 12:35 PM

16,391 posts, read 30,931,772 times
ok i shouldnt be laughing at this misfortune, but man you are really unlucky. I'd feel worse, but I have been close to as unlucky as you, so i fly.

Old 07-20-2011, 09:07 AM

6,351 posts, read 21,535,238 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by burgler09 View Post
ok i shouldnt be laughing at this misfortune, but man you are really unlucky. I'd feel worse, but I have been close to as unlucky as you, so i fly.
You still have to get to the airport...

Old 07-20-2011, 10:11 AM

16,391 posts, read 30,931,772 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crew Chief View Post
You still have to get to the airport...
Let's not even talk about the amount of flights i've missed Praise the lord Delta is very friendly with letting you fly standby

Old 07-22-2011, 06:40 PM

111 posts, read 435,488 times
I dont think driving more necessarily increases your chances of an accident. I think that much like people, different cities and areas have their own style of driving. I don't drive in many different cities, mainly Indianapolis, Chicago, Detroit, and an occasional road trip to Florida. Not saying that drivers in Indianapolis are any better or worse than the other cities I've mentioned, but since it's the city that's closest to me, I've learned how to drive there better. Does driving in any of those cities mean I'm ready to go drive in NYC or L.A.? Maybe I'm ready, but not willing to try it.

Not trying to place any blame on you as you've said you're the one that gets hit everytime, even though getting hit doesn't necessarily mean that you're not at fault. Just saying that you travel a lot and since you are in new areas a bit, maybe you can't anticipate the other driver's moves as well as you would in your honme city/state.

Old 07-24-2011, 09:55 AM

1,096 posts, read 4,527,116 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CruisingUSA View Post
I'm just on my last nerve here. Since I first bought my car back in 2007 I was involved in 4 accidents. During that time up until last night I'd driven close to 100,000 miles.

1st time some idiot cut me off in South Florida, sent me into a pole. 2nd time someone T-boned me in Texas after running a stop-sign. 3rd time this past December someone dropped a refrigerator in the middle of the road in north Florida in which I hit at 75 mph with minor damage.

This straw that broke the camels back came in Washington state last night, where a semi rear ended me on the interstate and I was going about 70 mph, fish tailed and ended up crashing into the median and bashing my head against the glass. The only thing that stopped me from going into oncoming traffic was a center divide made of stakes and wires. I spun around for what seemed to be endlessly before coming to a halt. That's the last time that car will ever be on the road. It was confirmed: the semi drivers fault with several witnesses

I love road trips, and I pretty much have to travel as I do freelance assignments at this point thru the mountain west and was going to be going to Seattle for the first time. Road trips pay the bills and amount to a good 70% of my income and I have been traveling once a month since the year began.

But with as many accidents that have happened, not even being my fault I just wonder am I increasing my odds of dying here LOL. 2 of those accidents happened in the city and the other 2 were on the highway. But in less than 4 years that is very scary. That's 1 per year and it HAS been 1 per year. Except for 2008...that was a good year.

It's like I took drivers ed and passed with a B, took a speed course night school driving class, got a speeding ticket ONCE and took defensive driving last summer 2010...never caused an accident with another vehicle but people's stupidity just keeps on messing me up. I'm only 23. And I'm tired of it. Tired of people ruining my good car.

I still want to be able to do my monthly road trips, but I want to do it without being paranoid that some idiot is going to come plowing into me.
I hadn't been in an accident ever and in the past year or two have been in 3 so I know the feelign.

That said road trips I woudl say your less likely to be in an accident than back home running errands. If your in an urban or even busy suburban area probably more traffic than most of the places your traveling across the country. Also around home people tend to be so intot their daily routine, talking on the phone, almoost like a zombie in what they are doing in that they do it everyday. On the road your looking around to take in sights and sounds but your also probably paying closer attention because your not as familiar with the area.

Old 07-26-2011, 10:26 PM

1 posts, read 827 times
Post Re:

To drive a car is life’s one of the less restricted freedoms. Freedom on the streets is very exciting especially when looking at speed limit point of view. These freedom of driving cause many people to become disoriented in environment.

Old 07-27-2011, 05:57 AM

9,614 posts, read 21,270,240 times
It's just a matter of percentages that a person who drives 20,000 miles a year will typically have more accidents than someone who drives 2,000 miles a year simply because you are going to have more opportunities to be in an accident.

That being said, I'm been a 20,000+ mile a year guy myself for over 20 years due to the fact that I also like to take road trips once in awhile, but also because I have mainly lived in very small towns and have often had a 30+ mile commute to work, and all of my "accidents" (mostly deer hits) have happened within 10 miles of either work or home.

Old 07-28-2011, 04:47 AM

14,076 posts, read 20,530,289 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kanhawk View Post
I guess maybe they have their cruise control on and are too lazy to push on the accelerator to get past it quickly so they pass going 1 mile per hour faster than the truck.

No, the reason for that is usually that the trucks are speed limited. Most trucks have a top speed governor, set by company specs, and they just simply won't go any faster than that.

However, that does not excuse BOTH drivers in a long passing scenario like that. If the one passing had an ounce of common courtesy, he'd give up and let the traffic behind him go. On the other hand, if the one being passed had that same ounce of courtesy, he'd back off a little and let the guy finish passing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel