Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-06-2011, 07:00 AM

333 posts, read 977,501 times

Advertisements

I'll be going back home in the next 5 weeks, and my in between flight times are 1 hour, 35 mins for my L.A. flight and 1 hour, 27 mins for my Charlotte flight, but I'm mainly worried about the L.A. one because I forgot that US Airways is not partnered up with Qantas so I'll have to re-check my bags back in. =/ Now I'm not sure if this is do-able? I'll be on a huge A-380 plane, and it took forever to get my bags on arrival in Sydney, so I'm worried this will happen in L.A.. Also, it says US Airways for domestic flights the latest for checking in bags etc. is 45 mins, and the usual 30 mins b4 take off for boarding. The US Airways is in Terminal 1 the opposite direction from the International terminal, it says its a 9 min walk between those two on google, but a 2 min drive. My main concern about this is driving would help, whether its the LAX shuttle bus or a taxi, but it says the shuttles come every 12-15 mins, and it doesn't say if this is like 8:00 am, 8:15 am etc. and not sure how long I'd have to wait for a taxi to be nearby when I come out, cause if I don't see either nearby I'm gonna be walking super fast with my luggage cause I don't think there's a spare min to waste. Does anybody think this is at all do-able or do I need to see if I can change my US Airways flight to a later time? Any info on the shuttle buses and taxis would be great too. Thanks alot.

Last edited by kaygirl05; 08-06-2011 at 07:18 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-06-2011, 08:35 AM

I found this on oneworld.com It says "After clearing customs, re-check your baggage at the transfer area." Is there really a baggage transfer area in the International terminal? If so, does it go to Terminal 1? Just wondering cause if there is, it'd save me the time of re-checking it in once I get to Terminal 1.

Old 08-06-2011, 09:08 AM

2,918 posts, read 5,608,532 times
i think the shuttles come more than every 15 mins, more like every couple mins

as for the amount of time you have, no i dont think its enough. almost any other airport maybe but not LAX. i wouldn't feel comfortable with less than 3 hours to be honest lol. you might make your flight but it will be extremely close. if there is any hold up like a line at immigration or something you might be screwed.

Old 08-06-2011, 10:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by foadi View Post
i think the shuttles come more than every 15 mins, more like every couple mins

as for the amount of time you have, no i dont think its enough. almost any other airport maybe but not LAX. i wouldn't feel comfortable with less than 3 hours to be honest lol. you might make your flight but it will be extremely close. if there is any hold up like a line at immigration or something you might be screwed.
mm =/ mmk. this is just a doozy, because if i change my ticket it'll probly cost me a couple hundred as it is, plus the fact the tickets have gone up in the past few days. one time when i had a close call out of L.A. for boarding times, the Qantas lady handed me a ticket for the later flight. do you think US Airways would do this, or would i still have to pay a couple hundred?

Does it make much different that I'd be arriving at 9:45 am? As far as crowds in customs.

Old 08-06-2011, 10:40 AM

2,918 posts, read 5,608,532 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kaygirl05 View Post
mm =/ mmk. this is just a doozy, because if i change my ticket it'll probly cost me a couple hundred as it is, plus the fact the tickets have gone up in the past few days. one time when i had a close call out of L.A. for boarding times, the Qantas lady handed me a ticket for the later flight. do you think US Airways would do this, or would i still have to pay a couple hundred?

Does it make much different that I'd be arriving at 9:45 am? As far as crowds in customs.
i dunno, that's around the time i usually arrive back from asia, so lotsa flights arriving at that time. sometimes it only takes 20-30 mins to clear customs, sometimes longer. all luck of the draw. tell a flight attendant about yer situation, maybe they can get you to the front of the plane so you're one of the first off, this will help.

Old 08-07-2011, 12:52 AM

4,836 posts, read 12,008,156 times
What you need to do is call US Airways or Qantas and see if they have any type of interline agreement. I know they are not in One World together but did you buy your tickets at the same time? Or seperate with both. If they have any type of interline agreement after you get your bags through customs maybe they can check it onto your next flight. if not 1 hour 35min may be enough time but if there are any delays on your flight, in the lines to get your bag etc.. you can forget about it, espeically since you will have to check in your bag again. Call US airways and Qantas see what they say.

You should have planned this a bit better or flown with two airlines that work together.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaygirl05 View Post
I found this on oneworld.com It says "After clearing customs, re-check your baggage at the transfer area." Is there really a baggage transfer area in the International terminal? If so, does it go to Terminal 1? Just wondering cause if there is, it'd save me the time of re-checking it in once I get to Terminal 1.
Yes there is. I just thought of something. United will for sure have a transfer bag area they are part of Star Alliance with US Airways is part of, so I THINK but I am pretty sure you will be able to check in for your flight there? Maybe. You have to call US Airways and find out.

Old 08-07-2011, 06:40 AM

35,309 posts, read 52,305,052 times
Cant you reschedule one of the flights to give you more time between flights?.
On a recent trip from Montreal to NZ we booked our daughter a 6 hour lay over in LA,she balked at the idea but right off the bat the Montreal airport got shut down for 2 hours due to a total computer shut down in the customs area, had she gone with the hour and 45 minute layover in LA that she wanted she would have missed that flight to NZ.

Old 08-07-2011, 10:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyMIA View Post
What you need to do is call US Airways or Qantas and see if they have any type of interline agreement. I know they are not in One World together but did you buy your tickets at the same time? Or seperate with both. If they have any type of interline agreement after you get your bags through customs maybe they can check it onto your next flight. if not 1 hour 35min may be enough time but if there are any delays on your flight, in the lines to get your bag etc.. you can forget about it, espeically since you will have to check in your bag again. Call US airways and Qantas see what they say.

You should have planned this a bit better or flown with two airlines that work together.

Yes there is. I just thought of something. United will for sure have a transfer bag area they are part of Star Alliance with US Airways is part of, so I THINK but I am pretty sure you will be able to check in for your flight there? Maybe. You have to call US Airways and find out.
interline agreement, never heard of that. Yea I bought both my tickets on the same day. Hmm kk, yea that's what I was worried about, delays, mm yea lines for bags was my biggest worry, because when I was on the A-380 in Feb. it took at-least 20-30 mins to get my bags. >.< I would have liked to take a 747 on the way back if I could have. Yea =/ Kk, I'm gonna try to call US Airways later today and hopefully switch my L.A. departure to the 1:10 pm flight, so I'll have 3 hours, 25 mins, stead of 1 hour, 35 mins. I just hope they can switch my money over to the later flight (cause they're non-refundable) and me pay the extra difference. Otherwise, I'll be paying for two tickets, and the first one won't even get used. =/ Well I wanted to, and forgot that US Airways doesn't work with them, and my parents have moved further East so the main connecting airport (I read is good) is Charlotte, and the times aren't all that great. Doesn't help that I felt rushed to buy them because the International ticket esp. was saying Act fast only 3 left at this price, then cheaptickets was showing US Airways was saying same thing but only 1 left. By the time I got done purchasing my Sydney ticket I got the last one at that price. I hardly ever fly with L.A. airport, that's why I forgot how long it CAN take.

I can't blame you for saying that, I could kick myself for having the ticket prices rush me. I just worried the price of the International one was gonna go up $200 like another day I was going to go with did.

Old 08-07-2011, 10:57 AM

9,317 posts, read 21,004,968 times
Interline is a aggrement the airlines have with each other to transfer bag from one to the other, with out you having to re-check them. When you claim the bags, and got thru customs, most airlines are on the other side of customs to allow you to pass them back with out having to go to the front counter and 're-check' them,.

When you bought the ticket, did you buy the SYD-> Charlotte in the same/one transaction? If you did the tickets are connected. The airlines computer/travel agent system should not let you do a connection in LAX that you can not make.

Sound like your USAir ticket is a seperate ticket. On the cheapticket web site you book 2 differnet trips. Its up to you to allow enought time to connect. USAir might let you change to the later flight, but odds are they will charge you a change fee, & increase in fare.

Last edited by flyonpa; 08-07-2011 at 11:02 AM.. Reason: just re-read it

Old 08-07-2011, 10:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jambo101 View Post
Cant you reschedule one of the flights to give you more time between flights?.
On a recent trip from Montreal to NZ we booked our daughter a 6 hour lay over in LA,she balked at the idea but right off the bat the Montreal airport got shut down for 2 hours due to a total computer shut down in the customs area, had she gone with the hour and 45 minute layover in LA that she wanted she would have missed that flight to NZ.
Yea that's what I'm gonna hopefully do later today. I'll call up US Airways and explain it, and see if that money can just go towards the later flight, and I'll pay the difference. It'll just mean instead of arriving at 9:30 pm, the later flight will get me home at 11:40 pm. I was hoping my parents wouldn't have to pick me up so late, but at-least I'll be there TO pick up, stead of being stuck in L.A.. That's the main thing. Thanks.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel