Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-18-2007, 05:03 PM

11,446 posts, read 16,183,316 times

Advertisements

Mooseketeer surely provided some very good information and I would also recommend the Dordogne area of France. There are many old towns (and castles) in the area, such as, Sarlat, a very well preserved medieval town in a scenic location. Not too far to the north is the Loire River, which has some of the most stunning castles one could ever see. They are relatively close to each other that in one day you could visit most.
I have made several trips by car within France and found driving to be the most convenient way to get around. On the main roads most people are hustling to get from point A to B as fast as possible. Plus there are many trucks. To avoid traffic I usually stayed on small country roads which were peaceful and cars were very rare.
As for visiting museums, historic buildings, etc. it may be good to check on the days they are closed. For example, most in France are closed on Mondays- the signs will read: Lundi Ferme. In Switzerland I think the tradititional closed day is Tuesday.
An economical and good way to eat in France is at one of the many Self-Service restaurants. Most cities have them, and they are open usually for the midday and evening meals only. They function like cafeterias, you get a tray and go down the line, choosing what you want. This eliminates waiting for a table, waiting for your food, etc. The prices are reasonable and I've always been satisfied, especially with the little bottle of red wine at the cashier.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-22-2007, 06:46 AM

2,994 posts, read 3,764,928 times
Hi! I'm Italian and if I can help you...I'm happy.

Italy is very wonderful but..I love USA!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel