Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-13-2011, 07:52 AM

2,994 posts, read 5,769,430 times

Advertisements

Im seriously planning a 1-2 week RV trip to the Outer Banks next April 2012 (I could also go in May...but thats it) . Is there enough to do for a couple weeks ? How expensive is everything ? Is there a variety of things to do to fit most peoples fancy ? How would YOU rate it overall and would you go back ?

Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-13-2011, 07:58 AM

13,811 posts, read 27,433,048 times
I've been to a lot of beaches in the US (mostly east coast). From ME all the way to southern FL. The outer banks IMO are some of the best the east coast has to offer if you're into the quiet peaceful type. Not much to do but enjoy the local food and relax, but that's kinda the point, isn't it? I would plan for a cooler time of the year, we lucked out when we went in August because the wx was cloudy (mostly) and cool. Made for a great stay. Early April would probably be perfect.

Old 08-13-2011, 08:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wheelsup View Post
I've been to a lot of beaches in the US (mostly east coast). From ME all the way to southern FL. The outer banks IMO are some of the best the east coast has to offer if you're into the quiet peaceful type. Not much to do but enjoy the local food and relax, but that's kinda the point, isn't it? I would plan for a cooler time of the year, we lucked out when we went in August because the wx was cloudy (mostly) and cool. Made for a great stay. Early April would probably be perfect.
Good to know. Thanks. Yes..im into the peace and quiet and a Seafood Buffet at night .

Old 08-13-2011, 02:34 PM

27,074 posts, read 11,839,154 times
Well I am happy for you, 007.5. I am a NC native and also have traveled to beaches up/down the eastern seaboard.

OBX beaches are truly lovely....and clean....and all on islands of course. There are nature preserves and wildlife refuges all over. Upper OB and Mid OB have hotels galore and houses/condos for rent, more developed overall. Further south around Nags Head, the areas clear...mostly just oceanfront homes.

Even further south the Pea Island Wildlife Refuge and public beaches. Then on the Hatteras and the Cape, very pristine. The National Park Sections have no oceanfront buildings at all. REALLY nice.

Unless you go to the Duck/Corolla area, there is not much to do except shop, visit the Wright Bros. Memorial, Jockey's Ridge, huge sand dunes where hang gliding is constant; lighthouses are popular too. Then of course good food and beach stuff.

I just moved to the SC coast but would have chosen OBX if there was a larger town/city...too small for me for permanent life, but my favorite overall.

Oh and the water there does not get warm enough to swim comfortably until mid-June or so, and even later as you go north.

Have a great time

Old 08-14-2011, 07:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by greatblueheron View Post
Well I am happy for you, 007.5. I am a NC native and also have traveled to beaches up/down the eastern seaboard.

OBX beaches are truly lovely....and clean....and all on islands of course. There are nature preserves and wildlife refuges all over. Upper OB and Mid OB have hotels galore and houses/condos for rent, more developed overall. Further south around Nags Head, the areas clear...mostly just oceanfront homes.

Even further south the Pea Island Wildlife Refuge and public beaches. Then on the Hatteras and the Cape, very pristine. The National Park Sections have no oceanfront buildings at all. REALLY nice.

Unless you go to the Duck/Corolla area, there is not much to do except shop, visit the Wright Bros. Memorial, Jockey's Ridge, huge sand dunes where hang gliding is constant; lighthouses are popular too. Then of course good food and beach stuff.

I just moved to the SC coast but would have chosen OBX if there was a larger town/city...too small for me for permanent life, but my favorite overall.

Oh and the water there does not get warm enough to swim comfortably until mid-June or so, and even later as you go north.

Have a great time
The O.B.'s sounds like what im looking for, and, maybe i can find some things to do on the mainland as well. On my way up there from Florida where i live, ill be stopping at Hilton Head, S.C. which ive been to twice in the past, but not for a long time nor with an RV. Do you know of a Drag Strip near the O.B.'s as im into car racing ? Thanks.

Old 08-14-2011, 02:37 PM

9,519 posts, read 14,736,406 times
I know I'm weird, but I found the Wright Brothers memorial in Kill Devil Hills (near Kitty Hawk) one of the most profoundly moving places I have ever experienced. I have a framed photo of the first flight (the one where Wilbur is running alongside the plane having just let go of the wing) on my piano for daily inspiration. Be sure to stay for the ranger's talk. They still have the brothers' sheds where they lived and worked. We found the lodgings reasonable , the restaurants overpriced but all in all it's a wonderful place to visit. If I were rich I think I'd get a place in Duck. Have a wonderful time!

Old 08-15-2011, 09:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eureka1 View Post
I know I'm weird, but I found the Wright Brothers memorial in Kill Devil Hills (near Kitty Hawk) one of the most profoundly moving places I have ever experienced. I have a framed photo of the first flight (the one where Wilbur is running alongside the plane having just let go of the wing) on my piano for daily inspiration. Be sure to stay for the ranger's talk. They still have the brothers' sheds where they lived and worked. We found the lodgings reasonable , the restaurants overpriced but all in all it's a wonderful place to visit. If I were rich I think I'd get a place in Duck. Have a wonderful time!
I think as a male, ill enjoy the Wright Bros. Ill probably do the O/B's along with somethings on the mainland if i can find some of interest.

Old 08-15-2011, 03:50 PM

4,268 posts, read 8,168,126 times
The OBX is cool, especially if you want to relax. But, a week or two may get to be kind of boring, especially during that part of the year, where its slow.

What about going to some different NC or SC beaches too, like Myrtle Beach, Wrightsville Beach, Atlantic Beach, etc?

Old 08-16-2011, 09:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by IonRedline08 View Post
The OBX is cool, especially if you want to relax. But, a week or two may get to be kind of boring, especially during that part of the year, where its slow.

What about going to some different NC or SC beaches too, like Myrtle Beach, Wrightsville Beach, Atlantic Beach, etc?
I was going to hit Myrtle Beach on the way up to N.C. from Florida ...but dont want to travel and further north than N.C. to destinations. Is there anything of interest say within a 50 mile radius of OBX ?

Old 08-18-2011, 10:29 PM

3,720 posts, read 9,994,639 times
We spent a week there in June a few years back. It was a little too windy for me there, blowing the sand around too much. Lighthouse tours, wright brothers memorial were great. Not a lot for a family with very young kids to do.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel