U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-16-2007, 09:54 AM

693 posts, read 2,579,445 times

Advertisements

I love traveling alone, but depending on the location of course. Like DISNEY that would be horrible. But yes, I miss traveling alone I should do that more often again. The only thing that is not great is to eat, sometimes i feel kinda awkward sitting on a restaurant by myself.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-02-2007, 10:19 PM

18,552 posts, read 22,373,563 times
Default He who travels alone travels the fastest!

I wouldn't do it any other way. I always take lots of books along, they are my companions at my meals everyday as wells as on any long bus trips and great company in my room at night. I have spoiled myself rotten, over the years, traveling alone, all over the world.

Old 11-03-2007, 11:47 PM

351 posts, read 1,743,229 times
I am a single woman who lives overseas, and have been travelling alone forever. I used to miss the company of others, but realized once in Thailand while eating alone at a restaurant, that all of the couples around me looked harried, angry, pouty or otherwise "not having fun." It was then that I decided that travelling alone is far better than travelling badly with others.

I have picked up hobbies and pursue travel which puts me around like-minded people. Scuba diving is one such event: I sign up for a 7-10 day liveaboard knowing that I'll be on a boat with 10-15 other people who like to dive. We have things to talk about on the boat, underwater no one can talk anyway, and even on trips where I've had no common languages (Red Sea boat willed with Spaniards), it's been fun.

Everyone has different standards and expectations when it comes to travel. While there are many advantages to travelling with someone else, there are also advantages to travelling alone. If you watch that reality tv show where the couples compete to travel around the world (can't remember the name), case in point!

Old 11-10-2007, 06:54 AM

187 posts, read 544,745 times
I totally enjoy travelling alone. I can do what I want when I want & eat dinner at 5:00 PM if I care to. I work very hard all year & my vacation is very precious to me so it's a selfish time for me.

Old 11-11-2007, 06:54 AM

25,699 posts, read 24,740,742 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Littleme View Post
I totally enjoy travelling alone. I can do what I want when I want & eat dinner at 5:00 PM if I care to. I work very hard all year & my vacation is very precious to me so it's a selfish time for me.
I thought I was the only one who feels that way but judging by the posts in here, it looks like a lot of people lke doing solo. Im up around 4:30-5am, though I might 'doze' a little if I dont fel like getting out of bed, occaisionally, but because Im an early riser, the first thing that comes on is my weather channel and the coffeemaker.
Dont get me wrong, a partner once in awhile is okay, but my preference is calling my own shots on my own schedules.

Old 11-12-2007, 04:32 AM

10,967 posts, read 9,898,380 times
I have only done day trips alone, but absolutely enjoyed myself!

The main problem I've encountered when traveling with others is when there is not compatibility as far as lifestyle habits. And that means getting up, heading out, and heading back.

I've traveled with my son and his family and they aren't ready to start the day until at least noon or later! For me that is half a day wasted. I'm up and ready to head out for breakfast by 7 a.m. and then get the day started, and ready to get back to the hotel at a decent hour to get some rest (decent to me is by 7 p.m.).

Not saying their way is wrong or mine is right, it's a personal choice. But it makes the trip much more enjoyable if everyone is on the same wavelength.

Old 11-12-2007, 09:19 AM

4,270 posts, read 14,164,279 times
I have traveled alone but have always known somebody at my travel destination so I don't know if you count that. You are right, there is sort of this sense of freedom. Even now that I am married, I occassionally do a roadtrip by myself, without hubby, but there's always someobdy that "I'm going to go meet". I don't take vacations at all I've come to realize; instead, I just like to travel and I've noticed, now that you mention it, I like do it with my husband. It's just fun to share memories with. Plus, I have no sense of direction so I hate getting lost by myself! As far as compromising goes, we both have similar tastes in what we like to go see when we travel so we've never really had to compromise anything.

Old 02-04-2008, 03:30 AM

8,820 posts, read 6,513,972 times
I've travelled mostly alone and I enjoy it, even though I have had times when I had wished to share something really beautiful but what if the person with you doesn't think what you're trying to share is beautiful? That would ruin it. Guess I'd rather travel (or live) alone than be miserable with someone else.

Last edited by MaggieZ; 02-04-2008 at 03:32 AM.. Reason: spelling

Old 02-06-2008, 08:48 PM

186 posts, read 519,661 times
I really enjoy myself when traveling alone. I can see and do everything that I want to do without any compromises. If I want to change my itinerary I can do it on the fly, right then and there.

I like to take pictures and stop at any given moment. When I'm with someone I feel like I can't or that I'm holding them up so I feel rushed. I also like to walk fast and not everyone does. I also like the ability to eat at the restaurant of my choice. Man do I sound selfish or what. I am married and all but sometimes it's nice to get away on your own. I let me wife do things on her own as well. I think it helps each of us and by the time we're done being alone it's good to be togther.

Old 02-07-2008, 06:59 PM

6,282 posts, read 9,078,441 times
My best trips have been solo because it seemed I could do more stuff and not wait around for someone else. I would not travel with a friend or with family at my age because I like my privacy so the only other option for non-solo travel is to go with a girlfriend which I don't mind but it's always a compromise somewhere.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or