Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-15-2007, 07:33 PM

11,446 posts, read 16,185,973 times

Advertisements

I have been on trips with friends and girlfriends, but the best trips were alone. I wouldn't even consider group travel. For me travel is to see a state or country by moving around, every day, all day. I seldom spend more than two nights in any town. When alone I can plan my trip as I want, as well as change spontaneously without considering anyone else. Sometimes two people have different ideas for activities and this can lead to conflicts, so there must a compromise, or one will be disappointed. At the end of such a vacation both will have been disappointed, and maybe even regret having travelled together.
Alone, I can go where, when, and do as I want. My most memorable trips were those solo journeys.
I wonder if anyone else likes to travel alone.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-15-2007, 08:31 PM

27,343 posts, read 27,397,752 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Visvaldis View Post
I have been on trips with friends and girlfriends, but the best trips were alone. I wouldn't even consider group travel. For me travel is to see a state or country by moving around, every day, all day. I seldom spend more than two nights in any town. When alone I can plan my trip as I want, as well as change spontaneously without considering anyone else. Sometimes two people have different ideas for activities and this can lead to conflicts, so there must a compromise, or one will be disappointed. At the end of such a vacation both will have been disappointed, and maybe even regret having travelled together.
Alone, I can go where, when, and do as I want. My most memorable trips were those solo journeys.
I wonder if anyone else likes to travel alone.

I have and feel the same as you do too. Pretty much almost makes me miss the trucking days, partially FOR that reason.

Just about every word youve said (and I emphasize 'just about')....ditto.

Maybe occaisionally, have a partner but in my many years of being single, Ive adapted very well, and like it.

Old 08-15-2007, 11:02 PM

1,354 posts, read 4,090,233 times
Visvaldis I have never traveled solo but I have often thought about the advantages you mention. The only thing missing would be the sharing of a meal and the day's activities. So do you usually make contacts as you travel and meet lots of people along the way that provide this camaraderie or do you pretty much stay apart from the locals?

Old 08-16-2007, 05:58 AM

13,026 posts, read 24,628,555 times
Before I met my partner ( almost 19 years ago) I used to travel exclusively alone ( I went all around the world by myself) and absolutely loved it. I never felt lonely but it made my trips more introspective and I felt a lot more free in many ways. Travelling alone means completely different experiences and you get more of a chance to sort out your own feeling and your own thoughts about the places you visit. You feel less tethered having to worry about someone else enjoying it too .

HOWEVER now that I always travel with my partner I also love it . I have found someone to share our amazing world with, someone who though very similar to me is still is his own person and gives me a different perspective and makes me challenge my own perceptions when we travel. I love the exchange of ideas, and being able to talk about our shared experiences at the end of the day. It makes the world seem even more interesting to me having someone to share it with. I know it sounds soppy but I do feel a companion has added to my enjoyment of travel.

We have similar desires regarding travel requirements so we never ague about where to go and we are in tune enough to tell the other person if there is something different we want to do without the other feeling slighted.

We don't go for beach /resort holidays and are more into independent travelling and it seems to work for both of us.

I think travelling alone was wonderful when I hadn't yet found out a kindred spirit but now that I have I would miss having him around far too much.

Standing facing Macchu Picchu at Dawn break is a fabulous experience regardless but having someone to share your overwhelming feelings is priceless and can't be beat...

Old 08-16-2007, 06:22 AM

13,395 posts, read 45,023,398 times
I still travel alone occasionally, and enjoy the freedom.
I get to decide whether to go to this or that place, and how I'll get there.
It's a good way to do some quiet reflection, too.

But of course a shared experience can be especially rich.

I like all kinds of destinations from Scotland to Guatemala, and all sorts of experiences from foodie-type stuff to World Cup.

We have never done a real "resort" type trip except with in-laws (they paid) but we do love the beach--going to the beach does not necessarily translate into some sort of packaged experience.
One of my favorite seaside memories is having a beach all to ourselves near Peroulades on Corfu.

Old 08-16-2007, 06:49 AM

27,343 posts, read 27,397,752 times
Hey Tama, are you a drummer?

Old 08-16-2007, 08:42 AM

11,446 posts, read 16,185,973 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tama View Post
Visvaldis I have never traveled solo but I have often thought about the advantages you mention. The only thing missing would be the sharing of a meal and the day's activities. So do you usually make contacts as you travel and meet lots of people along the way that provide this camaraderie or do you pretty much stay apart from the locals?
When traveling I try to avoid typical tourist areas, avoid crowds, and I have no interest in beaches or resorts. I like to make my trips an adventure. Somehow, I seem to meet more locals when alone. I want to see as much as possible. For example, the best way to know any city is on foot, so I have spent days walking the streets of Paris in all directions. When at the Eifel Tower I decided to climb the steps instead of taking the elevator. Yes, after many miles each day my feet were tired, but I enjoyed every step. Not many people would want to walk as much as I do. It would be no fun with someone who complains. I also choose hotels that are cheap, because I'm only there to sleep, the whole day and well into the evening I'll be gone. So, why pay for a luxury room that I won't use?
Sharing the experiences might be stimulating, but only if both have an interest in the experience. While in Germany with my girlfriend, we sat down to enjoy the view of an old town. I wanted to take in the scene of old buildings and towers, but my girlfriend started telling me about stupid things that her aunt once did. I didn't care about that, but listened politely.

Old 08-16-2007, 08:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Visvaldis View Post
When traveling I try to avoid typical tourist areas, avoid crowds, and I have no interest in beaches or resorts. I like to make my trips an adventure. Somehow, I seem to meet more locals when alone. I want to see as much as possible. For example, the best way to know any city is on foot, so I have spent days walking the streets of Paris in all directions. When at the Eifel Tower I decided to climb the steps instead of taking the elevator. Yes, after many miles each day my feet were tired, but I enjoyed every step. Not many people would want to walk as much as I do. It would be no fun with someone who complains. I also choose hotels that are cheap, because I'm only there to sleep, the whole day and well into the evening I'll be gone. So, why pay for a luxury room that I won't use?
Sharing the experiences might be stimulating, but only if both have an interest in the experience. While in Germany with my girlfriend, we sat down to enjoy the view of an old town. I wanted to take in the scene of old buildings and towers, but my girlfriend started telling me about stupid things that her aunt once did. I didn't care about that, but listened politely.
You need someone more compatible !
I know what you mean about walking though, I used to walk everywhere, best way to see the place ( until I fell ill and now I have a walking stick so walking is not much of an option) . It amazes me how many people think that taking one of those double decker buses is the way to see a place. If you are able, get out of the car, off the bus, lose yourself in the place and adventure will find you !

I have never really understood resorts/beach/cruise holidays either, it seems you fly half way across the wordl and spend 2 weeks on a towel getting toasted and never seeing anything of the country, meeting any of the locals and eating any real food. It puzzles me but as they say each to their own. My holidays are usually packed full and I never even seem to have time to read !

Old 08-16-2007, 09:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cil View Post
I still travel alone occasionally, and enjoy the freedom.
I get to decide whether to go to this or that place, and how I'll get there.
It's a good way to do some quiet reflection, too.

But of course a shared experience can be especially rich.

I like all kinds of destinations from Scotland to Guatemala, and all sorts of experiences from foodie-type stuff to World Cup.

We have never done a real "resort" type trip except with in-laws (they paid) but we do love the beach--going to the beach does not necessarily translate into some sort of packaged experience.
One of my favorite seaside memories is having a beach all to ourselves near Peroulades on Corfu.
I agree about what you say about beaches . What I meant is all inclusive package deals , where you spend the whole day in the swimming pool ( when the ocean is usually 5 metres from the hotel !!?) , eat at the same in-hotel restaurants every day and sip cocktails all day. It seems so pointless to me . You might as well stay home and go to a dome covered shopping-mall ...

I love beaches, the ocean etc.. and it pains me to see so many beautiful coastlines ruined by high-rise hotels, shopping malls and all you can eat buffets.

A beach all to yourself is my idea of heaven and it is possible if people can be bothered to look.

I remember the Pacific Beaches near Tofino ( B.C) a couple of years ago, absolutely stunning. Wild, majestic and just sublime. You walked through a rain -forest to get to one of them, it was so amazingly beautiful. And it felt like a very private Paradise and a real discovery.

I think I am a hermit at heart and just prefer to be alone with my beloved. I love meeting new people but meeting exactly the same people you meet every day at work whilst on holiday just does not appeal to me in the slightest...

As Sartre so aptly said "Hell is other people".

Old 08-16-2007, 09:47 AM

6,588 posts, read 17,550,899 times
I love traveling alone! I took a road trip two years ago. I drove from L.A. to Reno, then to visit a friend in Salem, Oregon, and then back home. I only wish I'd had someone with me to share the driving; that was a long trip! I had fun, though, and I'd definitely do it again. As a single woman, I'd just be careful of where I'd go after dark, and not be out late at night, that kind of thing. That's reality in today's world, unfortunately.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel