Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-10-2011, 08:15 PM

39,031 posts, read 23,018,776 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alaskan Mutt View Post
Anymore this is easier said than done. Delta Airlines, for one, is very hard to get a decent seat unless you have a high status with their mileage club. Aisle seats are now getting harder to get. Most airline websites let you look at the available seats for any given flight. Anymore, unless you have VIP status, the aisle and window seats are blocked until check-in. Much of the time right at the 24 hour before departure time when one can check in, all of the aisle seats will be taken. Once in a while I will try call the 800 reservation number and try to get a seat assigned before the 24 hour mark. Sometimes I get lucky and get an agent that is willing to snag me a seat that has been blocked on the website.
Interesting ... I used Delta for my trip to NYC back in July and was able to reserve window seating going to and coming from JFK ... I booked non-refundable, cheapest tickets a few weeks prior to the flight ... Is this a recent change on their part?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-10-2011, 08:18 PM

18,836 posts, read 37,360,870 times
Yep. Changes on a daily basis...now those seats are blocked.

Old 09-10-2011, 09:09 PM

4,176 posts, read 10,687,536 times
If you've ever sat on the tarmac for an hour and a half, and then had to taxi back to the gate to change pilots because your pilots went over their flight time, or to change a wire/bulb/instrument light that wasn't working correctly - all the while biting your nails because you HAD to make that next connection or spend the night - you'd go with non-stop.

There are no more 'friendly skies' any more. I have slept in an airport twice due to missed connections. Once they not only lost my luggage but my ID. Try flying home without THAT little incidental. I had to have my son fax me my birth certificate to my destination to prove I was who the ticket said I was - and the attendant said, "But the last names don't match!"

"Well, DUH," I replied - "I wasn't BORN married to this guy!"

Lucky I wasn't arrested and hauled off for being a terrorist. I have a temper, and I don't like being searched at every stop, no matter how young and cute they think they are.

Racing thru a crowded airport with 20 minutes between flights - and the departure gate is two shuttles, two flights of stairs, and a half mile from the arrival gate - you'd better be in marathon-running shape and your kids had better be able to hang on tight to your coattails. And be wearing roller skates. I actually prefer the redeyes - not as crowded at the airports, and the whole attitude is different.

Stay on the plane if at all possible.

Old 09-11-2011, 12:48 AM

7,487 posts, read 8,003,579 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chatteress View Post
Interesting ... I used Delta for my trip to NYC back in July and was able to reserve window seating going to and coming from JFK ... I booked non-refundable, cheapest tickets a few weeks prior to the flight ... Is this a recent change on their part?
Do you have any kind of VIP status with their mileage club? Also, once in a while I will see one or two window seats available. However most of the time all I see not blocked are the center row seats.

Old 09-11-2011, 12:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alaskan Mutt View Post
Do you have any kind of VIP status with their mileage club? Also, once in a while I will see one or two window seats available. However most of the time all I see not blocked are the center row seats.
Nope ... This was the first time I've booked a flight through Delta ...

Old 09-11-2011, 08:07 AM

1,631 posts, read 4,225,208 times
My wife booked a one stop flight on the way home from our honeymoon (MCO>PHX>LAX) we both had chest colds and had to run through PHX to make our connecting flight's gate only to find out it was delayed because the gate attendant was stuck helping herd an international flight through customs.

I will always opt for nonstop after that.

Now we live in Dallas so virtually every domestic flight is only a few hours long. Plus now that we have Virgin America here we can get low priced flights to LAX to visit family more often. We also really love Virgin America for many reasons. If only they connected DFW to Ohare.

I'm a seasoned flyer but I am still a nervous flyer. I find that non stop works better for my anxiety since it is only one take off and one landing.

Old 09-11-2011, 01:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Bungle View Post
My wife booked a one stop flight on the way home from our honeymoon (MCO>PHX>LAX) we both had chest colds and had to run through PHX to make our connecting flight's gate only to find out it was delayed because the gate attendant was stuck helping herd an international flight through customs.

I will always opt for nonstop after that.

Now we live in Dallas so virtually every domestic flight is only a few hours long. Plus now that we have Virgin America here we can get low priced flights to LAX to visit family more often. We also really love Virgin America for many reasons. If only they connected DFW to Ohare.

I'm a seasoned flyer but I am still a nervous flyer. I find that non stop works better for my anxiety since it is only one take off and one landing.
Hmmm ... I will have to look into Virgin America because I usually visit relatives in DFW from LAX ....

Old 09-11-2011, 02:51 PM

1,631 posts, read 4,225,208 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chatteress View Post
Hmmm ... I will have to look into Virgin America because I usually visit relatives in DFW from LAX ....
They've been doing a lot of $99-$149 fares between LAX and DFW lately. The best parts for me are: legroom, in seat entertainment and food/beverage ordering -you can open a tab using a CC and order throughout the flight then close your tab at the end. They have PPV movies and TV shows as well as free movies and music. At LAX and DFW the terminals are small and gates all in one spot. I don't think those terminals at either airport use the body scanners either. I really cannot complain yet about them and I hope they don't give me a reason to. I've flown round trip with them about 3 times now.

As I said before, they just opened up service out of Ohare. They need to connect ORD to DFW because I love Chicago and heir prices would make for a quick cheap weekend getaway from Dallas.

Old 09-12-2011, 07:30 PM

115 posts, read 446,981 times
I would definitely suggest the non stop if it's an option. Like most of the posters stated, with connections, their are always risk of misconnecting if the first flight is delayed. And if it's an evening flight, you may end up spending the night at the connecting city at your own expense if the delay is caused by weather.

I believe the seats in front of the exit rows are blocked for Delta's elite members or for an additional fee. Usually Tue and Wed's flight are the lightest so your chances of pre-assigning a window or aisle seats are better.

Old 09-14-2011, 10:03 PM

6,884 posts, read 11,242,310 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Bungle View Post

Well, I feel like you do - I'm trying to be better about it - kind of excited about flying Virgin America - I've heard good things about the flight itself!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel