Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-03-2011, 07:45 AM

44 posts, read 91,244 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by burgler09 View Post
That's crazy, are you sure you didn't actually go to France?

Moscow has always been on my to-do list and I have actually heard so many good things about it, your story really surprises me! Is that a common experience there?
Because it's on your list, doesn't mean it's going to be great. Been to France numerous times and except for some rude African immigrants, the local French people were and have been wonderful. Would move there in a heartbeat!

Quote:
Originally Posted by phxgreenfire View Post
Believe it or not, my experiences with France have been nothing but positive. But then again, I speak French, which helps... a lot.

Honestly, if it's on your must see list, I would say do it. You may have a different experience.
I don't speak much and it has always been a positive experience.

Quote:
Originally Posted by phxgreenfire View Post
I only know a few phrases, though I can read and write it. But no, the woman was waving people away. A janitor in the station tried to help out, taking me to someone else... who consequently also had that same "can-do" attitude as the kiosk woman did. Maybe the train had been canceled, postponed or whatever else... but beyond that situation, that was my experience with people in Moscow: street vendors, clerks, waiters/waitresses, some pedestrians, bus drivers, etc. Again though, I don't regret going, but I wouldn't go back based on my experience there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-03-2011, 10:09 AM

4,100 posts, read 4,515,028 times
Never.

Old 10-03-2011, 10:40 PM

39,031 posts, read 23,014,069 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jasper12 View Post
I will tell you this, don't go with someone unless you know them very well. I went on a trip with some one, and it was really miserable. I wished I had stayed home, I was so miserable.

You can go to a great place and have a bad time if you are with the wrong person.
I so agree with you there ... I invited a coworker to stay at my hotel when we were both in Orlando and when we did things, she tended to dominate. Also, I should have asked her for a room contribution but was contented with her offer to pay a portion (which she never did ...)

Old 10-03-2011, 10:45 PM

39,031 posts, read 23,014,069 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles in PGI View Post
I had the experience once. A good friend whom I thought I knew well asked me to join her and her 13-year-old son on a three-week road trip through Spain. Spending that much of time in close proximity with someone other than your spouse was not a good thing, I later learned. Our friendship ended when we returned home, but luckily, I found enough time on my own during those weeks to enjoy the country fully. My relationship with said friend notwithstanding, I didn't regret making the trip one tiny bit. The things I saw, the places I visited, and the lessons I learned in those weeks became very helpful to our (my husband's and my) subsequent trips to Spain.
WOW! It's a shame that you lost a friendship during this trip ... I guess it wasn't a strong friendship to begin with. I once stayed two nights in a room with a friend who insisted on having the AC on at night for her allergies ... Annoyed the heck outta me but I learned to compromise especially as she was game with many of the stuff that I wanted to do while we were in Vegas. Our friendship is just as strong today as before our trip.

Old 10-03-2011, 11:00 PM

1,448 posts, read 3,049,571 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chatteress View Post
WOW! It's a shame that you lost a friendship during this trip ... I guess it wasn't a strong friendship to begin with
I thought it was, but evidently I was wrong. I later thought part of the reason the friendship didn't survive those three weeks was our cultural difference. I probably didn't fully understand her Germanic view on everything, just as she couldn't stand my American way for too long a period.

Old 10-07-2011, 06:44 AM

8,176 posts, read 18,531,941 times
I've never regretted a trip, but I've regretted who I've gone with a couple of times.

I knew better but I went on a cruise with a negative person...they found fault in EVERYTHING!
I'm one to see the glass half full and she was one that sees it half empty.

Thankfully is was a short 3 day cruise and I managed to avoid her during part of it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel