U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-11-2011, 01:45 PM

491 posts, read 1,368,273 times

Advertisements

Everyone is coming up with some great suggestions.Anyone make that drive on the Road to Hana in Maui, just need a few heads up advice, cause a few of my searches online give warnings like:

"If you are prone to carsickness, then this drive may not be for you. Don’t even think about it, without using something to help you combat carsickness. Roll down your window for fresh air and to hear the birds and waterfalls when the car is in motion. "

"Avoid driving a long distance on this Road to Hana at night, the road can be very narrow at some sections."

"Watchout for mudslides, some sections are unpaved"

Just wondering if you had the same experience and if the drive is that wicked.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-12-2011, 06:40 AM

10 posts, read 21,472 times
You don't want to take the road to Hana at night - go early and give yourself plenty of time. Ibelieve there are also tours which might work out better so you can enjoy the scenery more - probably not as much flexibility with stopping though. Towards the end is the 'seven sacred pools" where you can get out and walk around. Beyond that is where it may be unpaved but you don't have to that far we turned around after the pools and drove back.

Old 10-12-2011, 11:17 AM

6,275 posts, read 9,070,543 times
I've only been to Maui and although I found parts of it a bit too commercial (Lahaina etc.) for my tastes as far as islands go one can't deny that it is very beautiful nonetheless. The Road to Hana is a must as mentioned by others and you will see a ton of waterfalls.

I also did the drive along the northwest side but I do not recommend it as the road is very hairraising!

For snorkeling take a trip out to Molokini - you will not regret it but be VERY careful to take an eco-friendly operator as the corals there are starting to get stressed from tourism and conservation is important.

If you're a SCUBA diver the front side of Molokini is amazing, the back wall of Molokini is a very famous wall dive but it's for advanced divers (they are very strict about this) as it's very deep, the sea is quite rough and you need to be comfortable in "blue water" (deep and open ocean) as the boat does not go near the wall due to currents. I've dived both sides and they were memorable.

And oh yes, purchase a copy of Maui revealed...it is the required BIBLE for any vacation to Maui

http://www.amazon.com/Maui-Revealed-.../dp/0971727902

I did not do the Luau thing as I was by myself and did not feel like going alone, perhaps next time since I heard it is pretty enjoyable

Last edited by k374; 10-12-2011 at 11:29 AM..

Old 10-14-2011, 12:27 PM

11 posts, read 20,673 times
**Disclaimer, I grew up on Maui**
you absolutely HAVE to take the road to Hana! If you want a glimpse of authentic Hawaii without all the tourist traps, Hana is your only chance. The Travaasa Hana Maui is the oldest resort on the island and is seriously so special. Moderator cut: see comment
And Haleakala Crater at sunrise is breathtaking-- so worth getting up early for!
Have fun!

Last edited by BstYet2Be; 10-27-2011 at 09:34 AM.. Reason: Sorry, Per ToS, new members must have at least 10 posts before posting recommendations.

Old 10-23-2011, 01:07 AM

Default Some pics on the Road to Hana

The road to Hana was a 64 mile long and a bit challenging road adventure, specially on the one lane blind curvy road. I can handle the twist and curves but I'll be honest the one lane blind curvy road that one ecounters is a bit nerve racking to say the least, specially the tourist(you can spot them right away) driving the Jeeps that ignore signs and speed limits. The speed limit says 15mph or 25mph on the lane blind curvy road, but no they have to drive 40-45mph and it just spooks you.

Towards the Heleakala national Park, the sign says caution blow horn around the blind curvy road, the tourists that I encountered just ignored the signs and just kept on going and wham you slam the breaks because a crazy nut has no respect for others on the road.

My favorite part of the road trip was Waianapanapa State Park. It was absolutlely beautiful. My suggestion is to do the trip early on a weekday so that you don't have to drive in the dark on the way back and less traffic. You don't need a jeep or any 4wd. A nice little car would help.
I don't know if I would ever do the drive again, but Waianapanapa State Park was something that I would love to see again.
I'll try to post more pics.

Near Kihei

Sugar cane is being processed 24/7!

Our first stop on the road. Chickens and roosters and cats and kittens running around the grounds of the rest area.

This little guy is so cute that I wanted to take him home.

More cats!

A view of the highway from a distance.

Our first stop near the ocean.

Most of the waterfalls were dry except this one.

Waianapanapa State Park

"Black sand" it's more like black stones than sand upclose

A blow hole in the back ground

A cave where water rushes in

Blow hole

Had lunch at Travaasa Hāna

View of the Bay at Travaasa Hana

A cattle ranch across the street from Travaasa Hana

More cattle across the street from Travaasa

At Heleakala National Park. The 7 sacred pools.

One of the many one lane bridges in the background

Fresh water meets ocean water at the 7 sacred pools.

Old 10-23-2011, 06:43 AM

15,803 posts, read 9,804,498 times
Wonderful! Love to see and hear more about your trip - especially digging that outward looking pic from the 7 sacred pools area. Welcome home!

Old 10-24-2011, 01:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by toosie View Post
Wonderful! Love to see and hear more about your trip - especially digging that outward looking pic from the 7 sacred pools area. Welcome home!
Thanks, will try to post more pics of Oahu and Maui. The drive to Hana was tiring for a 64 mile drive and was the toughest 64 mile drive for me on a highway. The area is beautiful but I felt that there were archeaological sites that should've been protected more so that they can be preserved.

Old 10-24-2011, 05:52 AM

15,803 posts, read 9,804,498 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tappan Zee View Post
The area is beautiful but I felt that there were archeaological sites that should've been protected more so that they can be preserved.
Ah, yes I've heard that can be a problem in the Hawaiian Islands in general. If you're concerned about preservation don't go to Italy - yikes - appalling! Ready for more of your travel journal whenever you are

Old 10-24-2011, 02:05 PM

Default Waikiki

At Waikiki

Sunrise at Waikiki, Ala Wai Golf Course in the background. A view from our 1brdrm condotel. I suggest if you want to save money and not mind not staying in a fancy hotel, this is the way to go to save money, we splurged on dinner at the fancier hotels like Hotel Halekulani and Outrigger Waikiki. Had breakfast nearby Wolfgang Pucks, Starbucks near the zoo and went to the Royal Hawaiian mall for other quick bites. The condo had a full kitchen, LR,1BA. It's clean and had a pool and tennis court if we wanted to use them. Came with free parking. Waikiki beach was just 2 blocks away.

Waikiki Beach in the background

Kalakaua Ave. Hyatt Regency Waikiki in background

Waikiki Beach, The pink hotel is Royal Hawaiian

Old 10-24-2011, 03:09 PM

Default Hanauma Bay

Hanauma Bay is a great place for snorkeking. According to the Park Ranger, in order for you to avoid the crowds, avoid going on Wednesday because they close the park for maintenance on Tues and it just gets packed and you can't even get in to park your car. Friday is another day to avoid, it's packed same as Wed.

I believe the entrance fee is $7.50 or $7.00 if I'm not mistaken. It's free for Hawaiian residents. BTW, all beaches are open to the public, even in the 5 star resorts and million dollar beach homes, but you will know who is a guess there and who isn't a guess there. Some resorts will sort of make you feel unwelcome by making it a bit harder to get to the beach even though there should be public access as in some beaches in Kaanapali in Maui.

There's a mandatory video that must be watched before you can go down to the bay, if you sign after the video they register your name on their computer and you can come back without having to go through that for up to a year. You can rent snorkeling equipment at the beach if you want. There's also a bus service for if don't want to hike down and up ....I think it's $1.50 roundtrip or $2.50 for a whole day, if you need to get back to your car.

The facilities are decent and you can rinse yourself clean. In my opinion, this is a great place for beginning snorkelers and kids because the currents are calm and there's yards and yards of reef where it doesn't go above 5ft deep. You can also be more adventurous and snorkel the entire bay and make it a good workout.

Back of a mall and got a quick bite to eat and shaved ice before snorkeling. I think this is Hawaii Kai town center.

Parking lot of Hanauma Bay

Hanauma Bay

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or