Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-18-2011, 07:54 AM

4,306 posts, read 13,466,992 times

Advertisements

Nothing would surprise me about this cheap-ass airline
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-18-2011, 09:58 AM

229 posts, read 206,744 times
Greyhound of the Airline Biz lol. Wonder when America's airlines follow suit...

Old 10-18-2011, 02:08 PM

1,448 posts, read 3,049,081 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chielgirl View Post
Hassle and risk? I flew to Barcelona for €12.50 round.
What hassle and risk?

Same here. My husband and I flew all over Europe with Ryanair (80+ times) for less than the price of a dinner, and that's with regular price tickets. During the 1-cent sales, which happened several times a year and last two or three weeks each time, we could fly anywhere in Europe for only the cost of sale taxes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chilaili View Post
Nothing would surprise me about this cheap-ass airline
"Cheap-ass" airline? Yes, it is a cheap airline, but it is a GOOD and CHEAP airline. As I mentioned earlier in the thread, a major airline would charge 10X more than Ryanair without better comfort or guarantee of luggage arriving at the same destination with passengers. BA lost my husband's two large suitcases and couldn't find them for 23 days. Over the Christmas season when temperature was 15 below in Celsius. He arrived in Italy with only the clothes on his back, I had to run all over creation to buy shirts, pants, underwear, sweaters, scarves, gloves, and heavy coat for him. BA's compensation for his freezing body: $175.

$300 OW with major airlines or $35 RT with discount airlines? No contest.

Could any of the people who participate in this thread fly to Mexico for $35 RT? Or drive to Canada and back for the price of 3/4 of a tank of gas?

Quote:
Originally Posted by k374 View Post
I never have and WILL never travel by this crappy airline even if they are free... it's just too much of a hassel and risk to my travel plans.
If you have never used "this crappy airline", where do you get the idea that it's crappy, hassle, and risky? Would it be asking too much that you should learning the facts from the people who have plenty of personal experience with the subject matter before forming your rash opinion?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob702 View Post
Not a big fan of Ryanair anyway. This is one more reason not to fly with them. For me, usually the big carriers such as British Airways or Lufthansa are just a few Euros more expensive but offer a lot more. Free luggage, food and drinks, hand baggage and a personal item and the biggest plus: They don't fly to airports in the middle of nowhere where you need to pay lots of money for busses or trains just to get to your final destination.
No, it's not "a few Euro more". It's often hundreds of Euro more.

Yes, Ryanair mostly (not always) use minor airports, but that's the reason airport taxes on the tickets are insignificant.

Yes, you do need to use shuttle or metro to the city centres, but the cost is little or very little.

In all the cities and countries that Terravision shuttle company operates, Ryanair has a contract with the company to transport passengers from airport to downtown (or reverse) for €6. No schedule needed because the shuttle's runs are timed to coincide with all Ryanair and easyJet flights.

In other destinations where Terravision has yet to reach, shuttle cost is insignificant (€2 Santander to Bilbao, €6 Schönefeld to Berlin, €12 Girona to Barcelona, €20 Beauvais to Paris, etc.)

As far as luggage goes, the majority of Ryanair passengers are business travellers who do not take many pieces of packed-to-the-gills luggage so they are fine with just carry-on (which is free, no matter who says otherwise). The leisure travellers know what to do when they fly with Ryanair so they also act accordingly. My husband and I always travel with only a roll-on and a shoulder bag between the two of us. We had never paid for luggage with Ryanair or easyJet. We don't do that in the States either, where all airlines charge $25 on the average for each piece of check-in luggage.

Free food? Who gives free food on flights less than 2 hours in duration? Not BA, not Lufthansa, not any airlines in the States, unless you count water, soft drink or coffee (sometimes without peanuts) as nourishments.

We just returned from two 6.5 hours coast-to-coast flights with Delta, with one a red-eyed. Once during the daytime flight and twice during the red-eyed, we were asked, "Water, coffee, tea or soft drink? Cookies, pretzels or peanuts?" The answer was not supposed to be "all of the above". It's take your pick, only one item of food and one item of drink at a time, mind you.

Last edited by Ol' Wanderer; 10-18-2011 at 03:32 PM..

Old 10-18-2011, 07:54 PM

23,707 posts, read 30,727,979 times
Quote:
Free food? Who gives free food on flights less than 2 hours in duration?
Most airlines do on short haul flights in business/first class (mostly similar to a box lunch) and you get all the free alcohol you can drink while you're still on the tarmac.

But hey this is Ryan thus no such class exists. So if they are thinking about removing the rear toilets, they might as well remove the rear doors and the rear galley. That should give them at most 15 additional seats.

Old 10-18-2011, 08:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NeilVA View Post
Most airlines do on short haul flights in business/first class (mostly similar to a box lunch) and you get all the free alcohol you can drink while you're still on the tarmac.
Keywords: business/first class with major airlines.

It's not just apples and oranges anymore, now we're comparing Chez Panisse with IHOP.

Old 10-19-2011, 03:34 AM

5,781 posts, read 11,868,052 times
I used Ryanair only once, and I paid 100$ per person to fly Paris -Barcelona : exactly the same price as on Iberia! and they refused to board us on the flight back because we didn't have our luggage (it had been stolen)
RYANAIR = THUGS

Old 10-19-2011, 08:01 AM

Quote:
It's not just apples and oranges anymore, now we're comparing Chez Panisse with IHOP.
Actually its free apples, bananas, candy and chips on hour-ish flights. Goes real well with the champagne.

Old 10-19-2011, 05:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NeilVA View Post
Goes real well with the champagne.
Stop rubbing it in.

Old 10-19-2011, 06:20 PM

Quote:
Stop rubbing it in
Well I could discuss the double sized bathroom that first/business class has on international flights. Its so wide two other people can hang out with you in there.

Old 10-19-2011, 08:12 PM

417 posts, read 815,821 times
Oh goodness...I hope I'm never seated next to the person who has an "accident" and can't hold it anymore!

And I hope I'm not the one with Montezuma's Revenge while the plane is stuck on the tarmac...

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel