U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-16-2011, 06:40 PM

8,397 posts, read 5,956,559 times

Advertisements

I am looking into traveling by plane for the holidays. I haven't been on a plane in 5 years and the prices are triple plus baggage fees now. Spirit seems to be the most affordable but I am going to have to drive to Myrtle beach. Does Spirit only have small planes? Can anyone give me their experience with Spirit Airlines? I am flying to Detroit.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-16-2011, 06:51 PM

9,186 posts, read 17,875,688 times
Sprint Changes for everything... Might be 'cheap' to start but when you get done its not. Also if the Flight get canceled your are SOL, They will put you on the next flight but it could be days later till they have open seats.

They fly Airbus 319 & 320's About the same size as a B737.

I would check out southwest They fly out of RDU with a connection to DTW (include 2 bags) for ~200/ow

Old 10-16-2011, 07:32 PM

2,934 posts, read 4,910,745 times
i fly spirit to colombia all the time.

they have the smallest seats i have ever seen on any airline. as a tall person extremely uncomfortable.

as far as baggage goes, they charge for carry on, so i only bring a small backpack with me w a few days worth of clothes cuz it counts as a personal item and is therefore free.

not a fan of the airline, prolly the worst. i only fly with them when they offer ridiculous promotions (can sometimes get LAX-MDE RT for under $300)

Old 10-16-2011, 08:19 PM

16,409 posts, read 27,066,915 times
I have actually flown Spirit quite frequently myself. Spirit is just.. well cheap. That is what is nice about Spirit, if you are looking to fly really cheap, then its not bad at all, but you have to be sure you know what you're getting yourself into. You are charged for just about anything you do, so the lighter you travel the cheaper it'll be.

For example, about two weeks ago I picked up a flight from ORD-DFW round trip for $45. I traveled with only a backpack so I didn't have to pay anything more than that.

One thing to rememeber about bag fees, is that all airlines charge them for checked bags, so you're going to pay it regardless.. unless you fly SouthWest.

I'm gonna second flyonpa's opinion and say if the ticket prices are close, go with SouthWest, if you save a lot of money, go with Spirit.

Old 10-16-2011, 08:44 PM

9,186 posts, read 17,875,688 times
Don't forget to factor the 3-4hr drive from Cary to Myrtle Beach. (each way). In to your costs. Its also nice to get off the plane, and be home in 20min or so after a long day vs. heading 3+ hours up the highway.

Old 10-16-2011, 10:08 PM

8,397 posts, read 5,956,559 times
Thanks, I am traveling with my 2 kids. I found Spirit to be $400 cheaper for all of us but I guess with gas and baggage fees, it probably isn't worth it. But once I move to Detroit, I heard Spirit has good deals to Florida. I wasn't sure about the airlines quality especially for kids under 10. I love Southwest Airlines so I will probably just stick with them.

Old 10-16-2011, 10:14 PM

16,409 posts, read 27,066,915 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Singlelady10 View Post
Thanks, I am traveling with my 2 kids. I found Spirit to be $400 cheaper for all of us but I guess with gas and baggage fees, it probably isn't worth it. But once I move to Detroit, I heard Spirit has good deals to Florida. I wasn't sure about the airlines quality especially for kids under 10. I love Southwest Airlines so I will probably just stick with them.

I would get exact quotes for everything and see how much the savings are. Even if you have to pay $200 in bag fees for spirit, that's still a $200 dollar savings, which is well worth it. To kids, an airplane is an airplane and they won't even know the difference between economy and first class. Get exact prices, then make your decision.

Old 10-17-2011, 12:48 PM

4,836 posts, read 10,494,177 times
As you can see if your traveling with bags the fees add up quick. They also charge for large carry on bags and printing your bording pass. There is no free service on the flights, they even charge for water. And their seats are the worst. However they can be cheap. But unless your saving $100+ I would not consider it. They have a very modern fleet of new airplanes.

Old 10-17-2011, 07:04 PM

12,576 posts, read 15,852,147 times
I flew Spirit once and had no complaints. Just took a backpack. Bought coffee on the flight. It was a good deal, less than any other airline or what it would cost to drive.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or