Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-10-2012, 07:33 AM

633 posts, read 1,728,499 times

Advertisements

IMO - i am german - Italy is one of the nicest - if not the nicest- country in Europe! Rome -lots of history, Tuscany - nice beaches, Everywhere very good pasta ( what you dont get in the US) unlimited shoe shopping,... Italy IS very nice.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-12-2012, 05:39 AM

18,438 posts, read 18,548,821 times
I would go back to Italy in a second if it wasnt for the flights from here.. last time we had to travel from Glasgow to London for a flight, beautiful country, well what I managed to see of it and well worth a visit...Italy has a romance about it like no other place..

Old 02-04-2016, 02:34 AM

11,561 posts, read 9,262,843 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by foadi View Post
europe is uber predictable
I dont get why people just always want to go to Western Europe for vacation. If you're going to go to Europe at least see the other side of the iron curtain and go to Budapest or Krakow

Old 02-04-2016, 11:36 AM

9,519 posts, read 14,646,934 times
I've been to Europe four times, never to Italy. Your premise is flawed.

Old 02-04-2016, 06:18 PM

15,675 posts, read 11,449,865 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by destroycreate View Post
There's so much more to Europe than just Italy...it almost seems like the cliche American tourist destination.

Scandinavia, Eastern Europe, Greece, etc., have so much to see as well. Does anybody else also think Italy is uber predictable?
I've always thought the " cliche American " tourist fancied the UK more than anywhere else in Europe? Possibly the language or similar humour?

ps I love seeing American tourists in London

Old 02-05-2016, 09:18 PM

15,957 posts, read 10,521,653 times
I was not sold on going to Italy until I went and fell in love with it. It is much more than the art and tourist sites. There is life style and community atmosphere that is welcoming. I enjoy the smaller towns. Many speak English but they are happy and helpful if you try to speak Italian.

Old 02-06-2016, 03:44 AM

16,545 posts, read 17,308,515 times
I suspect that my daughter will eventually end up living in Italy after some travelling once her university course ends.

She adores the way of life there having spent over half of last year in the Country.

Old 02-06-2016, 08:50 AM

31,285 posts, read 20,620,243 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Warszawa View Post
I dont get why people just always want to go to Western Europe for vacation. If you're going to go to Europe at least see the other side of the iron curtain and go to Budapest or Krakow
This is true. We rented a car in Prague and drove all over eastern europe. Krakow was our surprise favorite.

Old 02-07-2016, 04:33 AM

2,590 posts, read 4,510,198 times
Italy is 0-for-2 for me. It definitely hasn't lived up to the hype so far. I've been to Rome and Venice, and maybe my expectations were too high but, I didn't enjoy them as much as I thought I would.

No doubt Italy has a wealth of sites and attractions but their phone-it-in approach to tourism irks me when a lot of other countries in the region really make an effort to ensure you enjoy your time in their country.

This past fall I took a trip to Hungary, Slovenia, and Italy and while I completely enjoyed the first two, as soon as I crossed the border into Italy I started to actually look forward to the end of my trip. Everything from transportation to the attitudes of the people went downhill.

So give me the less popular destinations where people actually appreciate my interest in their culture any day over a country which seems to view me as just another sucker.

Old 02-07-2016, 06:50 PM

12,722 posts, read 7,484,790 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eureka1 View Post
I've been to Europe four times, never to Italy. Your premise is flawed.
The premise is way flawed given how many Americans visit places like London and Paris every year.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warszawa View Post
People can't see everything so they must choose something, especially Americans with relatively short annual vacation time and distance from Europe. So it kind of makes sense that people choose the same popular destinations where there are famous attractions and a strong tourism infrastructure.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel