Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-08-2018, 09:06 AM

7,595 posts, read 6,087,283 times

Advertisements

I ask because I have traveled with all types. I am always trying to be a minimalist, yet often taking more than I need and ending up with things unused. And learning more each time.

My old lady gets rather perturbed about my packing habits. Especially on a cruise ship.

I observed that while people dress nicely on formal nights on the ships, many wear T-shirts reflective of the last port of call. Some of these people tell me that they bring 2 sets of mix and match evening clothes, 2 or 3 shorts, swimsuit, and one T-shirt to wear the first day at sea and first port day. Then they buy a shirt at each port as a souvenir , and wear those on the ship. The suitcase leaves with room, comes back more full.

Since there are 4 of us and we book two cabins, my son and I had a different take. I went through my closet, and got out all the clothes that I never wore as well as the ones that were supposed to be destined to Goodwill...things that were showing slight wear, did not look stylish anymore etc And I packed those items into the suitcase. And the end of the cruise, they went to the basement of the ship, where employees can keep them or if not, they are dropped off at a donation spot in the port.

And somehow I still had too many things

SO I have been reading every blog and hack web-page on travel packing. Especially paying attention to minimalist packing.

I have a medium size suitcase. I use clothes that can be washed in the sink at hotels. I use this product
https://www.amazon.com/Travelon-Laun...l+laundry+soap
and have had decent results as long as it stays dry.

I bring clothes appropriate to the area. Since most of the travels are in the summer, I plan accordingly.

If my old lady is not going, then yes I take things that I do not plan to keep and ditch them in a donation box at the end. I have no qualms about re wearing the same clothes every few days as long as they are clean.

STILL I cannot seem to get it right. This summer there will be a 10 day trip, flying to another city then attending an outdoor expo for a week, every staying in a rental cabin where there is a washer and dryer.
I want to keep it minimal, knowing that at least once we will be eating dinner in a restaurant and might need something not poverty looking to wear. Also don;t want to take or bring back a lot.

Any ideas? TIps ? Tell me please how you pack. and what works for you. THANKS
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-08-2018, 12:30 PM

1,886 posts, read 1,839,146 times
I'm a Green Bay "Packer" fan
BaaaaaaaaaaaHaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa

Old 06-08-2018, 07:15 PM

12,722 posts, read 7,574,122 times
I have a 44 liter backpack that fits as a carryon 13x19, and the clothes I pack in it:

- 2 collared shirts
- 4 t-shirts
- 1 swim shirt
- one pair shorts
- one pair swim shorts (can function as shorts)
- 6 undies
- 2 pairs socks
- flip flops
- thin hoodie (like almost t-shirt material)
- sweat pants

I also have some things that are always worn on travel days (when things are packed) = pair of jeans, tennis shoes, socks.

Add to this a laundry kit (sink stopper, drying cord, soap), small packing cube with medicine stuff, small packing cube with electronics (adapters, cables, alarm clock, etc.), an small umbrella, wife's travel yoga mat. I also usually have some food type stuff packed in there like spices I haven't used up, instant coffee packets, etc. When moving I also use a really small daypack for stuff like laptop and Kindle that I don't want out of my site like when backpack is in the hold of a bus or luggage area of train, but I can also fit that stuff all into the main backpack if needed.

With this I can travel indefinitely, years at a time. I can't look real formal but can go nice collared shirt tucked into jeans and look halfway decent for dinner somewhere nicer. I also can't travel anywhere cold, I can do places that get chilly at night but I've got nothing for true winter which is fine I like warm weather.

Last edited by lieqiang; 06-08-2018 at 07:23 PM..

Old 06-08-2018, 07:40 PM

15,143 posts, read 27,785,743 times
I'm the worst packer - I ALWAYS take too many clothes. I'm someone who likes to coordinate clothing, I wear something because I feel like that color today, etc. (plus I need the earrings, etc. to go w/every diff. top...) - sigh.... I've tried but I just cannot get myself to pack less. (I also like to bring things like: depending on the weather: comfy sweats to lounge in, capris or shorts (stretchy ones) to do the same........) - toiletries are also too much for me: I have matching scent body wash, lotion, spray.........

Old 06-08-2018, 08:05 PM

7,682 posts, read 1,271,286 times
I never get it right either. I think it's a little harder for women because like Flamingo 13 said, we're trying to match jewelry, shoes and accessories to our outfits. Also, we finally have an excuse to wear those "just in case" clothes that we purchase but never wear in our "normal" lives.

I'm intrigued, though, with the idea of bringing clothes you no longer want to keep and leaving/donating them. That's actually a pretty cool idea.

Being a woman who loves to shop, I thought of doing just the opposite: bring very little and buy your wardrobe while on vacation. That way you avoid the insane baggage fees, and it might be cheaper to ship your clothes back rather than deal with lost luggage. I just returned from a trip to FL and this was the first time I didn't have checked baggage. I'm SO GLAD I DID THIS because my connecting flight home got delayed by 7 hours. I didn't have to worry where my luggage was because they were with ME!

Old 06-09-2018, 06:58 AM

7,595 posts, read 6,087,283 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CindyRoos View Post
I'm a Green Bay "Packer" fan
BaaaaaaaaaaaHaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa
Our next big trip is 10 days in Oshkosh to attend the entire week of some airshow. It is my sons graduation present.
I plan to take very little, assuming the weathercwill be mostly hot in late July.

Old 06-09-2018, 02:35 PM

15,143 posts, read 27,785,743 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daisy Grey View Post
I never get it right either. I think it's a little harder for women because like Flamingo 13 said, we're trying to match jewelry, shoes and accessories to our outfits. Also, we finally have an excuse to wear those "just in case" clothes that we purchase but never wear in our "normal" lives.

I'm intrigued, though, with the idea of bringing clothes you no longer want to keep and leaving/donating them. That's actually a pretty cool idea.

Being a woman who loves to shop, I thought of doing just the opposite: bring very little and buy your wardrobe while on vacation. That way you avoid the insane baggage fees, and it might be cheaper to ship your clothes back rather than deal with lost luggage. I just returned from a trip to FL and this was the first time I didn't have checked baggage. I'm SO GLAD I DID THIS because my connecting flight home got delayed by 7 hours. I didn't have to worry where my luggage was because they were with ME!
I'm guessing that people that leave clothes in rooms are just leaving more of a mess/trash for housekeeping. Honestly, If I no longer want it, that means I don't want to wear it anymore!

Old 06-09-2018, 03:05 PM

28,097 posts, read 29,963,441 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LargeKingCat View Post
Any ideas? Tips?
Yeah, stop calling your wife your old lady! She might just decide to leave you home if you keep that up!

Old 06-09-2018, 05:44 PM

747 posts, read 839,370 times
I travel for work by flight 45 weeks a year. I just have one small carry on bag. If I will happen to be returning to the same motel the next Monday, I will wash everything in the motel laundry the night before I leave and leave the bag in their storage area. That way, the next week I can just pack a few things in a small squishable duffle bag that will slide under the seat in front of me.

The only time I pack much heavier than that is for a ski vacation. Then it is 2 checked bags.

Old 06-09-2018, 06:53 PM

1,517 posts, read 990,706 times
I just throw all the stuff I know I'll need in the car and go. Quick and dirty.

My mom's the real overthinker. She'll take an afternoon picnic in Cascade Locks and turn it into a big production, writing up a "menu" a week ahead of time, setting up a kitchen and dining canopy and such. I mean, really, how much effort and planning is needed to gather up a couple pots, a propane campstove, couple cans of spaghetti hoops and some paper plates and forks, in a cardboard box or flip tote, throw that in the back of the car, stop at Fred Meyer's on the way out for some sandwiches, crisps, pop and a couple gallons of water, and hit the road? Most rational people would have all that taken care of and be across the state line in maybe all of an hour.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel