U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-04-2011, 08:51 AM

11 posts, read 20,688 times

Advertisements

Here are a few destinations to get you thinking-- where would you go though, for the ultimate romantic holiday?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-04-2011, 09:34 AM

6,186 posts, read 9,909,465 times
My own house, after we'd cleaned and planned and done as much cooking pre-prep as possible. We take better care of each other than any hotelier could. And DH is a wicked good cook!

We travel for fun and adventure. That, in its own way, is romantic.

Old 11-04-2011, 10:26 AM

167 posts, read 427,958 times
Pension Mayer in Lake Bled, Slovenia. Small and very nice.

Old 11-04-2011, 11:04 AM

13,036 posts, read 22,434,780 times
Pretty much anywhere you are with the person you love can be Romantic, it is about both people being together and in the mood. For some it means an all inclusive resort for others hiking the Himalayas.

I would probably go for New England in the Fall staying in top of the range B&B and Inns, Sailing around Croatia or Corsica, Paris in the Spring, Florence pretty much any time of the year apart from summer, The Dordogne in the Fall, Tofino BC during Storm season, a snowbound hideaway chalet in the Alps or the Pyrenees, Edinburgh and the Scottish Islands, Paris, Tallinn, Transylvania in Spring etc...

We like places which are scenically or architecturally beautiful, great museums, restaurants, culture scene, etc... and places which allow you to feel alone like certain parts of Chile for example. But to be honest as long as I am with Hubby it tends to be a good place for romance.

Though places which are over crowded like a lot of places in India or South-East Asia for example really detract from Romance for me as I just end up feeling hassled and processed like a piece of meat. Resorts are not my idea of romance for example because I can't think of anything more boring or less relaxing bar perhaps being ladrift, lost in Dehli , Mumbai or HK.

The ultimate Holiday for me if money was no object ( which it sadly is !) would be a sailing holiday around the world, hugging the coasts as much as possible on a vintage wooden yacht. My idea of perfection.

Just me and Hubby and the crew( including a five star chef of course), fabulous scenery , the ocean which is always to me an absolute wonder and fills me up with joy and a lot of time spent onshore exploring each place as we wish. I would start from Alaska down the coast to the Southern tip of Patagonia , up the Eastern South American Coast, up to New England, Quebec and beyond, across the Atlantic then carry on to the rest taking my time ... Heaven. :0

Old 11-04-2011, 12:44 PM

45,269 posts, read 90,468,027 times
I vote for Asheville, NC - very romantic and beautiful around the holidays.

In particular, the Biltmore Estate is wonderfully decorated and well worth a visit

Asheville NC Vacation Travel Guide

BILTMORE in Asheville, North Carolina, Americas Largest Home and More!

Asheville Luxury Hotels: Grand Bohemian Hotel Asheville North Carolina NC Biltmore Estate area Bele Chere Biltmore Village Art & Craft Fair boutique resorts spas conferences centers lodge romantic suites family vacations getaways packages specials we

Old 11-04-2011, 01:38 PM

11 posts, read 20,688 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovesMountains View Post
I vote for Asheville, NC - very romantic and beautiful around the holidays.

In particular, the Biltmore Estate is wonderfully decorated and well worth a visit
My now husband and I lived in Asheville for a year and a half--Biltmore is where he popped the question! It IS the most romantic place ever, especially all decked out at christmas time!

Old 11-04-2011, 01:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nschink View Post
My now husband and I lived in Asheville for a year and a half--Biltmore is where he popped the question! It IS the most romantic place ever, especially all decked out at christmas time!
It really is a great place to visit, but especially for romantics!

Old 11-04-2011, 01:50 PM

2 posts, read 1,947 times
How can a destination be romantic? I've never understood this. It's what you do while there that makes it romantic, not an actual location. I've never thought to myself, "oh look at that building, I should kiss you"

Old 11-04-2011, 02:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HansE View Post
How can a destination be romantic? I've never understood this. It's what you do while there that makes it romantic, not an actual location. I've never thought to myself, "oh look at that building, I should kiss you"
Many things can make a place romantic

Could just be the company you are with, the lighting, the ambiance, the architecture, the quaint scenery, the colors, the intimacy, the serenity, the natural surroundings.

Old 11-04-2011, 05:35 PM

886 posts, read 4,916,893 times
North Pole Alaska!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or