U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-04-2011, 01:39 PM

1 posts, read 701 times

Advertisements

I'd like to go somewhere in Europe, ideally.

Last edited by SimoneAlisa; 11-04-2011 at 02:04 PM.. Reason: grammar fix
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-04-2011, 10:17 PM

320 posts, read 662,406 times
Does the cold weather bother you? If it does, then try to go as far south as possible. Maybe Sicily, possibly Portugal, although in December those places can get pretty cold too.

If the cold doesn't bother you, then there are several European countries that could probably be of interest to you. Not sure what I'd recommend without a better understanding of likes and dislikes.

Old 11-04-2011, 11:11 PM

2,257 posts, read 7,154,202 times
Hi SimoneAlisa and welcome to the forums.

Could you provide us with more information about what you're looking for in a vacation? Here are some questions to get you started:

1. How long is your trip going to be?

2. How is your tolerance of cold weather? Would you like to see snow or be somewhere relatively warm? Do you need lots of daylight?

3. Do you prefer large cities, smaller cities, or rural areas? Is there a particular type of landscape or architecture you are hoping to see (mountains, beaches, cathedrals, etc.)?

4. Are you more interested in historical sites or in contemporary culture? Or both?

5. Do you speak any European languages? If not, would you prefer to travel somewhere where most locals understand English? Or would you be OK with using hand gestures and possibly a phrase book?

6. What is your budget like? What kind of accommodations are you willing to accept (luxury hotels, budget hotels, hostels)?

7. Are there any particular activities that you want to do on your trip?

Although primarily located in colder climate zones, the Christmas markets found in most major cities in Germany are one of the most popular tourist attractions in Europe during the holiday season. Stuttgart, Nuremberg, Munich, and Dresden have some of the more well-known markets.

Outside of Germany, Vienna, Copenhagen, Prague, and Brussels are all known for their wonderful Christmas markets.

Although it's a smaller city, Strasbourg, France is considered to have one of the oldest and most authentic Christmas markets in Europe. It's a beautifully preserved historic city to boot.

Old 11-05-2011, 08:33 AM

45,269 posts, read 90,458,785 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SimoneAlisa View Post
My vote would be for England

In particular, this is a wonder little hotel I recommend: DUKES Hotel - London - Official Website

Be sure to click on the tab "Christmas at Dukes".

Old 11-07-2011, 10:59 AM

11 posts, read 20,686 times
Here are a couple great, whimsy inducing places! Romance and the Holidays | Excellent Hotels Blog

Old 11-07-2011, 11:19 AM

52 posts, read 62,537 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SimoneAlisa View Post
France

Old 11-07-2011, 12:54 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
24,572 posts, read 42,193,918 times
Study up on some special holiday activities in various countries, and go to the one of most interest. Europe has some terrific holiday destinations if you immerse in the local culture. (Try to stay with a family, rather than a hotel)

I would choose Bavarian region of Germany. Unless I felt I wanted a more peaceful / deeper culture. Then I would head east to a small town in lessor known countries.

Old 11-07-2011, 01:58 PM

1,126 posts, read 2,546,688 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StealthRabbit View Post
Study up on some special holiday activities in various countries, and go to the one of most interest. Europe has some terrific holiday destinations if you immerse in the local culture. (Try to stay with a family, rather than a hotel)

I would choose Bavarian region of Germany. Unless I felt I wanted a more peaceful / deeper culture. Then I would head east to a small town in lessor known countries.
A number of years ago we went to Austria for Christmas on a whim. It was an absolutely magical Christmas!

Old 11-09-2011, 07:50 AM

4,308 posts, read 12,080,030 times
I would say Germany or Austria as they do Christmas fantastically well. Otherwise, if you don't mind the cold weather, Sweden or Norway.

Old 11-09-2011, 06:19 PM

4,836 posts, read 10,492,921 times
IMO Barcelona is the best city in Europe. If you want that Christmas feeling go somewhere a more North if you don't mind the cold. England usually is not too cold.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or