U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 11-05-2011, 01:07 PM
 
12,120 posts, read 29,332,227 times
Reputation: 3810

Advertisements

what would you do? after my mom passed i had flown from NY to Atlanta twice

going back to NY there was no more room on the plane for ,my carry on so they held it in checked baggage

when i went to retrieve it from the conveyor at baggage claim i noticed the button you press for the handle to go up and down was missing and tho the main mechanism was still intact, it was difficult to get the handle down without the button

there was a disclaimer at the conveyor saying the airline will not be responsible for damaged handles. i was too tired to bother with inquiring about a claim

for the Eddie Bauer carry on i paid $100 for 3 years ago

i'm going to Atlanta this coming holiday to visit my brother. should i go with the damaged handle taking the chance that the handle will not close completely causing me possible aggravation at the airport, or should i just get another carry on?

if i got another one is Swiss Gear a good brand?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 11-05-2011, 03:00 PM
 
Location: Kūkiʻo, HI & Manhattan Beach, CA
2,624 posts, read 6,399,035 times
Reputation: 2389
Quote:
Originally Posted by rlrl View Post
what would you do? after my mom passed i had flown from NY to Atlanta twice

going back to NY there was no more room on the plane for ,my carry on so they held it in checked baggage

when i went to retrieve it from the conveyor at baggage claim i noticed the button you press for the handle to go up and down was missing and tho the main mechanism was still intact, it was difficult to get the handle down without the button

there was a disclaimer at the conveyor saying the airline will not be responsible for damaged handles. i was too tired to bother with inquiring about a claim

for the Eddie Bauer carry on i paid $100 for 3 years ago

i'm going to Atlanta this coming holiday to visit my brother. should i go with the damaged handle taking the chance that the handle will not close completely causing me possible aggravation at the airport, or should i just get another carry on?

if i got another one is Swiss Gear a good brand?
I'd probably toss the damaged carry-on out and get a new one. Although I have a couple of Swiss Gear backpacks, my TravelPro Crew 4 Rollaboard has gone on hundreds of trips over the past several years and is none the worse for wear. Unfortunately, the TravelPro Crew 4 is no longer sold. If the current TravelPro Crew 8 is as good as the older Crew 4, it should provide you with years of service.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-05-2011, 05:57 PM
 
12,120 posts, read 29,332,227 times
Reputation: 3810
thanks. i also see that for Airtran Airways starting in March a carry on bag can be no larger than 50 linear inches, down from 55, otherwise it will be considered checked luggage

does this mean you have to pay for it to go in checked luggage if you bring a carry on that you used previously was 52-55 inches?

knowing this i would have to shop for a slightly smaller carry on bag

this really stinks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-05-2011, 06:51 PM
 
Location: Bergen County, NJ
1,603 posts, read 3,741,098 times
Reputation: 1838
$100.00 3 years ago, I'd say the value has depreciated immensely ... lol!

Time for an upgrade
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-06-2011, 10:46 AM
 
Location: Earth
24,629 posts, read 25,469,041 times
Reputation: 11341
I travel with a Rick Steves backpack. It meets every requirement, including RyanAir.
It's soft sided and fits a lot, even my computer.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-06-2011, 12:06 PM
 
Location: Kūkiʻo, HI & Manhattan Beach, CA
2,624 posts, read 6,399,035 times
Reputation: 2389
Quote:
Originally Posted by rlrl View Post
thanks. i also see that for Airtran Airways starting in March a carry on bag can be no larger than 50 linear inches, down from 55, otherwise it will be considered checked luggage

does this mean you have to pay for it to go in checked luggage if you bring a carry on that you used previously was 52-55 inches?

knowing this i would have to shop for a slightly smaller carry on bag

this really stinks
Since AirTrans merged with Southwest, they are simply adopting the Southwest carry-on baggage size limit, since they are "combining" their fleets. When shopping for a new carry-on, you'll probably be okay if you don't get anything that's larger than 22 inches in length. The AirTrans website has a nice illustration on how they measure carry-ons...
AirTran Airways - Carry-On and Checked Baggage Policies
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-06-2011, 04:05 PM
 
12,120 posts, read 29,332,227 times
Reputation: 3810
i just got a new carry on that won't exceed Airtran's new policy of no more than 50 linear inches (used to be 55 inches) on 3/1
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-06-2011, 04:11 PM
 
12,120 posts, read 29,332,227 times
Reputation: 3810
how do they know if the dimensions are exceeded? many carry ons have difficulty fitting in the overhead but many times it's just a matter of placing it a certain way in the compartment


why this new policy? could it be that too many carry ons are too big, causing overload in the overhead bins, then the airline loses $$ from putting the excess in checked baggage?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-06-2011, 06:28 PM
 
Location: Kūkiʻo, HI & Manhattan Beach, CA
2,624 posts, read 6,399,035 times
Reputation: 2389
Quote:
Originally Posted by rlrl View Post
how do they know if the dimensions are exceeded? many carry ons have difficulty fitting in the overhead but many times it's just a matter of placing it a certain way in the compartment
They usually have a "carry-on measuring device" at the gate -- it's basically a metal frame that you can try to slip your bag into to see if it conforms to the prescribed dimensions.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rlrl View Post
why this new policy? could it be that too many carry ons are too big, causing overload in the overhead bins, then the airline loses $$ from putting the excess in checked baggage?
As I mentioned earlier, Southwest and AirTrans merged and AirTrans is adopting Southwest's carry-on size pollcy.
Spreading Low Fares Farther | Southwest Airlines to Acquire AirTran Holdings, Inc.

Eventually, AirTrans will be fully absorbed by Southwest where "bags fly free."
Southwest Airlines - Bags Fly Free. First and Second Checked bags are FREE!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-07-2011, 04:12 PM
 
12,120 posts, read 29,332,227 times
Reputation: 3810
Airtran used to give you your first checked bag for free but changed it in Dec 2008 i think.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2020, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top