U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-06-2011, 05:41 PM

1,139 posts, read 2,975,235 times

Advertisements

We will be taking a trip to Asia sometime in December and likely to travel thro' couple of countries and we think our luggages will take a beating!

Additionally, Most airline have tacked on a baggage fees for the second bag, so we are looking for light-weight ones(to gain the max allowable weight) but still sturdy enough to make the round trip.

Looked up online and some of the suggestions include:

• Traveler's Choice 3-piece Hardside Spinner Luggage set
  • Sedona Coleman Expandable Spinner 3-piece

Has anyone tried the poly carbonate ones? appreciate any advise!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-09-2011, 10:14 AM

2,382 posts, read 4,670,482 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tampaite View Post
We will be taking a trip to Asia sometime in December and likely to travel thro' couple of countries and we think our luggages will take a beating!

Additionally, Most airline have tacked on a baggage fees for the second bag, so we are looking for light-weight ones(to gain the max allowable weight) but still sturdy enough to make the round trip.

Looked up online and some of the suggestions include:

• Traveler's Choice 3-piece Hardside Spinner Luggage set
  • Sedona Coleman Expandable Spinner 3-piece
Has anyone tried the poly carbonate ones? appreciate any advise!
I'm considering buying one. But I don't think I'll get a 3 piece set... More likely a larger one, an "orphan" from the outlet and maybe a new carry-on.

I travelled for years with a three piece set that included a traincase. Even without considering paying luggage fees on smaller pieces, I found that the big luggage would come out ages before the little pieces... husband got tired of waiting til the bitter end for my train case and smaller bag!

Old 11-09-2011, 11:39 AM

167 posts, read 428,040 times
Buy the cheapest set you like. Luggage is cheap enough in Asia so you can replace what wears out. The more wheels it has the more it weighs.

Old 11-09-2011, 01:38 PM

9,023 posts, read 11,664,808 times
Why check it when you can carry on. Get RedOxx, and it will be the last bag you ever buy.

Old 11-09-2011, 02:33 PM

2,934 posts, read 4,912,430 times
i dont understand the purpose of 'three piece set'. are there three of you?

just buy something you can fit yer stuff into and easy to get around. seems simple enough

Old 11-09-2011, 03:20 PM

41,365 posts, read 59,696,838 times
Airlines are trying to raise revenue by charging for checked bags, so checking anything is likely to cost you some money. The maximum size for a checked bag on all the carriers I checked is 62 linear inches (length + width + height). The maximum weight is 50 lbs, or 23 kg.
Every pound counts when 50 lbs is fine, and 51 lbs costs you money. Especially when a bag weighs in at 22 lbs empty – that’s practically half your weight allowance used up on the bag itself!

What I am looking for are two types of luggage:
One for a business travel, size that fits in an overhead compartment, best quality I can afford and a good brand name.
Another for a leisure travel and long trips - a suitcase(s) I check in, suspect to be abused, torn, stained, maybe even lost. Here I look for a sturdy fabric, possible expandable, and very, very light.
Wheels are handy, but they add a lots of weight to the luggage. If you need to buy luggage with wheels, then look for the lightest you can get: 2-3 lb for carry on, and 5-6 lb max for checked-in. International Traveller has a good selection ( IT - Ø ), they also sell sets.
Backpacks are a great carry in solutions. They have many useful compartments, are made from a sturdy nylon and give you both hands free

And read this:
Tips on Buying a Lightweight Suitcase | Overstock.com
Happy shopping!
World, Europe, Texas, Corpus Christi, El Paso, Lubbock, Tyler, Houston, San Antonio,
Tallahassee, Minnesota, Fish, Home Interior Design and Decorating, Science and Technology Forums

Need help? Click on this: >>> ToS, Mod List, Rules & FAQ's, Guide, CD Home page, How to Search
Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.

Old 11-13-2011, 09:50 PM

384 posts, read 894,341 times
I would buy hard-sided luggage without zippers to minimize potential for carrying bedbugs home. The ones I've found that do not have zippers include Rimowa that is expensive, and Samsonite that is cheaper but heavier.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel