Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Would you venture out of a foreign resort?
Yes, it's fun to explore! 6 100.00%
No way, I don't respond well to kidnapping! 0 0%
Voters: 6. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-09-2011, 11:43 AM

650 posts, read 1,811,528 times

Advertisements

I know some people who always travel to the local towns with a guide when they vacation in a foreign resort (mexico, jamaica, DR, etc.). Then there are others like me, who are worried to venture out and get kidnapped/killed. Especially in places like Mexico where you hear all these stories about kidnapping.

So who has ventured out and who's worried like me?

Old 11-09-2011, 11:51 AM

24,620 posts, read 28,271,474 times
Why bother going if you're so afraid?
You're not getting any benefit of being in a foreign country.
You learn nothing of the culture or people who live there.

Save your money and stay in the US.

Old 11-09-2011, 12:14 PM

42,554 posts, read 86,928,948 times
I accidentally ventured INTO one once. Never again. Nothing in there but spoiled rich people and servile locals who have learned the value of smiling at people they hate.

Old 11-09-2011, 12:23 PM

14,993 posts, read 23,877,846 times
haha, yeah just like above - I would be afraid to venture INTO a foreign resort. Yikes. I don't get it, why not take vacation at home if your idea of travel is to go to an inclusive resort to be locked in until the vacation ends. Doesn't make sense. And a guide? That's what the "Lonely Planet" books are for.

Old 11-09-2011, 12:47 PM

2,918 posts, read 5,605,540 times
im not into beach resort towns period. i want to be in the big city in the center of the action.

anyway as a mexican myself, i find this thread highly offensive. the beach resort towns in mexico are extremely safe, aside from perhaps acapulco and mazatlan. more likely to get killed in south beach or san diego.

Old 11-09-2011, 12:58 PM

4,918 posts, read 22,673,640 times
Let see you pay money to travel to a foreign resort and you are afraid to leave? Thats got to be the saddest thing I heard on traveling. Maybe instead of picking those CHEAP deals at the Cartel Palms, go to anither place like Japan, or France or Belgium, or Vietnam... You pick cheap places in questionable areas of a country and of course you are going to have concerns. next time pick the better resorts in the better areas of that country. If you pick the higher price Hyatt Resort in upscale city your in a good area and no problems walking around, but if you pick the Motel Boom-Boom down by the docks and beyween the rail yards, what do you think you get?

Old 11-09-2011, 01:09 PM

14,076 posts, read 20,521,713 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dd714 View Post
haha, yeah just like above - I would be afraid to venture INTO a foreign resort. Yikes. I don't get it, why not take vacation at home if your idea of travel is to go to an inclusive resort to be locked in until the vacation ends. Doesn't make sense. And a guide? That's what the "Lonely Planet" books are for.

I couldn't agree more. I've never been to a "Westernized" resort and have no desire to. What's the point of going to another country if you're just going to insulate yourself inside a compound of familiar things? If you never venture out, you'll have the idea that every other country is just like the one you left. You'll have spent thousands and learned absolutely nothing about anything.

Incidently, I consider cruises as just as bad. Who would want to spend all that money to sail around in what amounts to a real-life, variety TV show, then be hand-carried to specifically chosen vendors at ports of call? What a waste of time and money.

Old 11-09-2011, 01:24 PM

45,218 posts, read 100,681,934 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nudetypist View Post
I know some people who always travel to the local towns with a guide when they vacation in a foreign resort (mexico, jamaica, DR, etc.). Then there are others like me, who are worried to venture out and get kidnapped/killed. Especially in places like Mexico where you hear all these stories about kidnapping.

So who has ventured out and who's worried like me?
We've ventured out in the Bahamas and Costa Rica - both were great experiences.

Most memorable was the trip at midnight hiking through the jungle up the side of the Arenal Volcano and coming out above the tree line to watch the lava rolling down the side Arenal Volcano Costa Rica - Info, hotels, transporation, and tours

Not so sure I'd do something like that in Mexico though.

Old 11-09-2011, 01:30 PM

4,918 posts, read 22,673,640 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovesMountains View Post
Not so sure I'd do that in Mexico though.
Based on the number of robberies, murders, rapes, thefts, car jackings, drug sales, drive bys and every other crime imaginable, I would also be 100% fearful of leaving the safety of the hotel/resort in these high crime areas as well. Yeah, why in gods name would anyone visit the USA with all that crime going on and venture out onto the streets of america?

Old 11-09-2011, 01:34 PM

45,218 posts, read 100,681,934 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PacificFlights View Post
Based on the number of robberies, murders, rapes, thefts, car jackings, drug sales, drive bys and every other crime imaginable, I would also be 100% fearful of leaving the safety of the hotel/resort in these high crime areas as well. Yeah, why in gods name would anyone visit the USA with all that crime going on and venture out onto the streets of america?
Exactly. Went to Mexico years ago as a teen and have absolutely NO desire to ever go again. Heck, even the good Mexicans don't want to stay there now!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel