Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-30-2011, 01:50 PM

8,228 posts, read 14,211,900 times

Advertisements

When looking for hotels do you always stay at the same chain? Is it a nonfranchise chain? What if there isn't one?
My limited experience is that hotel chains that are franchised can be somewhat variable and that sort of turns me off. But they are also usually cheaper.
I'm not even sure how to tell which chains are which.
I've had decent experiences with Holiday Inn Express.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-30-2011, 02:01 PM

24,620 posts, read 28,271,474 times
Mostly I prefer smaller hotels (I travel in Europe) and rarely, if ever, spend time in larger chains.

Heck, I go for cheap for the most part, I even stay at hostels or spend a good bit of time camping.

Old 10-30-2011, 02:23 PM

16,393 posts, read 30,261,314 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Giesela View Post
When looking for hotels do you always stay at the same chain? Is it a nonfranchise chain? What if there isn't one?
My limited experience is that hotel chains that are franchised can be somewhat variable and that sort of turns me off. But they are also usually cheaper.

In general, depending on the quality of the franchisor, you know what to expect when you stay at a branded hotel. In other words, when you stay at a Courtyard by Marriott, you know what amenities and service you are going to get. When you travel 200+ nights per year as I did not too long ago, that is a real asset.

When I stay at an independent hotel, you have no idea as to the quality or amenities offered by the hotel. I guess that you COULD look at TripAdvisor or AAA or some other guide. Talk about variable.

Old 10-30-2011, 02:59 PM

1,448 posts, read 3,049,275 times
In the States, we always with several good franchise hotels because as the poster above stated, you know what to expect when you stay there, and because we have points which often translate to free stays. (However, when in SF, we always stay with one particular hotel that does not offer points even though the cost is 3X higher than most chain hotels. It's "our" hotel, simply is that.)

In other continents, depending on the budget and the country, we stay in landmark hotels, affordable hotels, private apartments, or local B&Bs.

Old 10-30-2011, 04:02 PM

16,391 posts, read 30,917,838 times
Going off what jlawrence said, you pretty much know what you're going to get when you stay at a chain. I don't think there's really an advantage/disadvantage to staying at a chain vs non-chain if you are not a business traveler and on the road all the time. If you are a business traveler, it starts becoming beneficial to stay at specific chains due to points. If you're a casual traveler, then you're better off just finding the hotel that will give you the best bang for your budget.

Same rules apply for out of the country, I just look for the best bang for my buck. I'm not a business traveler.

Old 10-30-2011, 04:55 PM

Some chains though are franchises. I have found that all XXX are not necessarily to the same standard.
I think Best Westerns are one of the franchised chains that was having some problems although I'm not positive. Maybe Travel Lodge? Super 8? How do you know which is which? When I travel for work we tend to stay at Embassy Suites, Marriotts, nicer hotels. On my own I need something a little less expensive. I've had ok experiences with Holiday Inn Express's though one was quite a bit nicer than the other.

Old 10-30-2011, 05:34 PM

16,391 posts, read 30,917,838 times
Quote:
Some chains though are franchises. I have found that all XXX are not necessarily to the same standard.
I think Best Westerns are one of the franchised chains that was having some problems although I'm not positive. Maybe Travel Lodge? Super 8? How do you know which is which? When I travel for work we tend to stay at Embassy Suites, Marriotts, nicer hotels. On my own I need something a little less expensive. I've had ok experiences with Holiday Inn Express's though one was quite a bit nicer than the other.
Yeah, you are thinking of Best Western, hell I've seen Best Westerns that are nicer than some Hiltons I've stayed in!

Old 10-30-2011, 05:51 PM

And I think I stayed at one on I-80 a few years back that was pretty bad

Old 11-01-2011, 02:13 PM

8,176 posts, read 18,530,753 times
I actually prefer the mom and pop hotels.
But when traveling to someplace I've never been I hit up Tripadvisor.com.
We recently went to Ga for a quick get away and found a perfectly good hotel for less than half of what we would have spent at a Holiday Inn or such.

Old 11-03-2011, 01:06 AM

9,753 posts, read 7,460,573 times
Quote:

Now that basketball season is here I'll be spending a lot of night's in MA, NY, NH & VT. If I know I'm gonna be spending the night, the day I leave I'll go to hotels.com and pick the best priced hote that fits where I'm traveling. Obviously I'm not gonna go 25 miles out of my way to go to a Marriott when a Super 8 will do just fine, but I've gotten some pretty good last minute deals; got a Sheraton outside Boston last February for less than $100 a night, and booked it the day I left.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel