U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
 
Old 11-12-2011, 04:18 PM
 
Location: Pacific Northwest
57 posts, read 128,311 times
Reputation: 29

Advertisements

I'm driving home to the Memphis area from my new home (Seattle) for Thanksgiving this year. I've done lots of long road trips, but not this one before, and never this close to winter out west...
I'm in desperate need of advice on which route is best:
Seattle -> Spokane -> Missoula -> S Dakota & down ...OR...
Seattle -> Boise -> Salt Lake City -> Cheyenne -> Lincoln & down.

I've waited up until this wk to plan my route because the weather is so unpredictable this time of year, and now I'm seeing that it looks like snow starting next week in just about every direction... I don't really have much of a choice, in an SUV with no 4wd or anything, so what's my best bet?

Can someone PLEASE give me some idea as to what the roads are like along these routes? I'm leaning towards heading to SLC from Seattle & going across southern Wyoming to Nebraska, so any info on how the highways there this time of year would be especially appreciated...

Thanks so much in advance
Quick reply to this message

 
Old 11-12-2011, 05:15 PM
 
Location: The Triad (NC)
29,848 posts, read 65,541,735 times
Reputation: 34906
Quote:
Originally Posted by redhead.lala View Post
Memphis area from my new home (Seattle) for Thanksgiving this year.

I've waited up until this wk to plan my route...
I don't really have much of a choice...
Fly.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-12-2011, 06:56 PM
 
Location: Texas
14,076 posts, read 18,152,758 times
Reputation: 7724
Quote:
Originally Posted by redhead.lala View Post
I'm driving home to the Memphis area from my new home (Seattle) for Thanksgiving this year. I've done lots of long road trips, but not this one before, and never this close to winter out west...
I'm in desperate need of advice on which route is best:
Seattle -> Spokane -> Missoula -> S Dakota & down ...OR...
Seattle -> Boise -> Salt Lake City -> Cheyenne -> Lincoln & down.

I've waited up until this wk to plan my route because the weather is so unpredictable this time of year, and now I'm seeing that it looks like snow starting next week in just about every direction... I don't really have much of a choice, in an SUV with no 4wd or anything, so what's my best bet?

Can someone PLEASE give me some idea as to what the roads are like along these routes? I'm leaning towards heading to SLC from Seattle & going across southern Wyoming to Nebraska, so any info on how the highways there this time of year would be especially appreciated...

Thanks so much in advance
Go down I-5 to Buttonwillow, CA, then east on CA-58 to Barstow. Take I-40 east right on into Memphis.

You probably won't avoid snowy weather completely that way, but this time of year, the farther south you can go and the lower elevations, the better off you'll be. Check the weather forecasts along that route with particular attention to the mountains at the OR/CA line, Flagstaff, AZ and the Texas Panhandle.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-12-2011, 07:14 PM
 
Location: Pacific Northwest
57 posts, read 128,311 times
Reputation: 29
I looked at that route, but it adds about 500 miles to the trip.. but I guess it is an option if things are looking that bad weather-wise before I head out..
Thanks!
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-12-2011, 07:15 PM
 
Location: Pacific Northwest
57 posts, read 128,311 times
Reputation: 29
Hah, & I would fly, but I'm returning my dad's car to him.

Last edited by redhead.lala; 11-12-2011 at 07:53 PM..
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-12-2011, 07:22 PM
 
Location: Texas
14,076 posts, read 18,152,758 times
Reputation: 7724
Quote:
Originally Posted by redhead.lala View Post
I looked at that route, but it adds about 500 miles to the trip.. but I guess it is an option if things are looking that bad weather-wise before I head out..
Thanks!
Yes, it's quite a bit farther, but there's always a trade off.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-14-2011, 12:05 AM
 
Location: Seattle, Washington
878 posts, read 1,424,303 times
Reputation: 692
I moved from Savannah, GA to the Seattle area and drove the GA to TN to KY to IL to MO to IA to SD to WY to MT to ID to WA route and it was lovely.

That was in May though. :-)
Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


 
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2020, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top