Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-17-2011, 01:39 PM

1 posts, read 4,576 times

Advertisements

Is it safe to drive from Seattle to St. Louis anytime between Nov and Jan? Are there any detours to avoid getting stuck somewhere? Thank you so much in advance for your answers this will be very helpful for me to see my son.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-17-2011, 02:15 PM

31,767 posts, read 28,815,462 times
You would need to be prepared for detours. A snow storm up north could end up in a ice storm as you come south. Now, if you're lucky, and expect the journey to complete in three days (it took me 2.5 days each way to drive between Seattle and Dallas but that also included some brief sightseeing/detours), and can plan those three days without a snow/ice storm on the horizon, you would be fine. The chances of this are greater after mid-Dec through January, however.

Old 11-17-2011, 02:16 PM

11,555 posts, read 53,177,205 times
Very much depends upon the weather at the time of your travel.

Your trip could have conditions ranging from:

1) a reasonably speedy trip without difficulty anywhere

2) portions of the trip that present difficult road conditions, especially in the higher elevations

3) portions of the trip that have road closures ranging from a few hours to days that will impede your progress

It's difficult to forecast the extremes much more than a week out, and sometimes it's a matter of days that will make all the difference. You should watch the fronts progress on NOAA (or similar weather data sites), as well as have all the DOT websites for your route online to research and check out their advisories.

RE the comment above about weather months for delays ... ANYTIME in the late fall through winter season of October through May can have serious storm fronts and road closures in the ID/UT/WY/NE regions, especially the interstate corridors through Wyoming. I've had more than once where I-80 was closed in May with a late snowstorm through much of Southern Wyoming, and even have had several April snowstorms with widespread road closures or very difficult travel conditions in UT/AZ/NV/NM/CO and Wyoming. On one trip, I could not get to Cheyenne from Los Angeles without diverting way to the South of Las Vegas to pick up I-25 to again head Northward. The roads in NV and Southern UT were hammered from the storm and progress were impassable for several days.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel