U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-18-2011, 05:32 PM

2,319 posts, read 4,199,694 times

Advertisements

Just curious if anyone has been the Canary Islands and what that experience was like. Hubby and I are considering a trip over Thanksgiving. Not sure which island will be the best. We love outdoors activities and museums. We're pretty easy to please. Thoughts?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-19-2011, 03:07 AM

33,559 posts, read 34,452,704 times
I used to know someone from the Canary Islands and I heard that it was a beautiful place to visit.
The main islands are:

Gran Canaria
Gran Canaria has 845,676 inhabitants. The capital, Las Palmas de Gran Canaria (377,203 inhabitants), is the most populous city and shares the status of capital of the Canaries with Santa Cruz de Tenerife. Gran Canaria's surface area is 1,560 km². In center of the island lie the Roque Nublo (1,813 m) and Pico de las Nieves ("Peak of Snow") (1,949 m). In the south of island are the Maspalomas Dunes (Gran Canaria), is the most tourist attraction.

Roque Nublo, Gran Canaria: http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedi...oqueNublo2.jpg

Fuerteventura
Fuerteventura, with a surface of 1,660 km², is the second-most extensive island of the archipelago, as well as the second most oriental. It has been declared a Biosphere reserve by Unesco. It has a population of 100,929. Being also the most ancient of the islands, it is the one that is more eroded: its highest point is the Peak of the Bramble, at a height of 807 m. Its capital is Puerto del Rosario.

Fuerteventura Island: http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedi...orro_Jable.jpg

La Palma
La Palma, with 86,528 inhabitants, covering an area of 708.32 km² is in its entirety a biosphere reserve. It shows no recent signs of volcanic activity, even though the volcano Teneguía entered into eruption last in 1971. In addition, it is the second-highest island of the Canaries, with the Roque de los Muchachos (2,423 m) as highest point. Santa Cruz de La Palma (known to those on the island as simply "La Palma") is its capital.

Tenerife
Tenerife is, with its area of 2,034 km², the most extensive island of the Canary Islands. In addition, the 906,854 inhabitants is the most populated island of the archipelago and Spain. Two of the islands principal cities are located on it: The capital, Santa Cruz de Tenerife and San Cristóbal de La Laguna (a World Heritage Site). San Cristóbal de La Laguna, the second city of the island is home to the oldest university in the Canary Islands. The Teide, with its 3,718 m is the highest peak of Spain and also a World Heritage Site.

San Cristóbal de La Laguna in 1880 (Tenerife): http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedi...lle-Laguna.jpg

Last edited by BstYet2Be; 11-19-2011 at 06:10 PM.. Reason: Copyrighted pictures require links only.

Old 11-19-2011, 05:17 AM

Thank you. Looks like the best deals will be on Tenerife so that's probably where we'll end up.

Old 11-21-2011, 07:30 AM

12,997 posts, read 19,207,366 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by peppermint View Post
Thank you. Looks like the best deals will be on Tenerife so that's probably where we'll end up.
There is also Lanzarote which may very well be your best stop with it's volcanic landscape and Timanfaya national Park.
Next moth I will be making stops at Lanzarote and Tenerife so tell me how they are, I am still doing research myself. My only drawback is the Canaries turn into a British tourist slum during the winter. You have the right idea - concentrate on the outdoor activities and avoid the resorts.

Old 11-24-2011, 01:56 AM

16,409 posts, read 27,045,743 times
I had a friend from the Canary Islands and it looks beautiful, I'd love to go and I would be really jealous if you did!

Old 11-30-2011, 09:22 AM

We did go to Tenerife, and we loved it. There were actually more Germans than British, believe it or not. It was a marvelous trip. We did two day tours and stayed in Puerta de la Cruz. We did see Los Gigantes, and I think I'd enjoy staying on that side of the island as it is warmer and the ocean is calmer. I would think it's more expensive though. We heard that crime is higher around the Playa de Las Americas in the south, but I don't know if that's true. They say that the area around it was just built anyway they wanted, and they didn't strive to keep the area natural. Like I say, we didn't go down there so I don't know for sure. It was a lovely vacation. Thanks for all the input!

Old 11-30-2011, 01:56 PM

12,997 posts, read 19,207,366 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by peppermint View Post
We did go to Tenerife, and we loved it. There were actually more Germans than British, believe it or not. It was a marvelous trip. We did two day tours and stayed in Puerta de la Cruz. We did see Los Gigantes, and I think I'd enjoy staying on that side of the island as it is warmer and the ocean is calmer. I would think it's more expensive though. We heard that crime is higher around the Playa de Las Americas in the south, but I don't know if that's true. They say that the area around it was just built anyway they wanted, and they didn't strive to keep the area natural. Like I say, we didn't go down there so I don't know for sure. It was a lovely vacation. Thanks for all the input!
Good to hear, we will be there for a day and have a rental car lined up. Did you get up to Mt. Tiede? I heard something about some of the roads under construction up there.

Old 12-01-2011, 06:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dd714 View Post
Good to hear, we will be there for a day and have a rental car lined up. Did you get up to Mt. Tiede? I heard something about some of the roads under construction up there.
We had no problems getting to Mt. Teide, but we went with a tour. We weren't comfortable driving over there. Just be aware that the roads are very curvy and can be dangerous. You will have to share the road with large tour buses so just use lots of caution, and you should be okay. Also, they love traffic circles or roundabouts (don't know which tern they use where you are). I hate those things!

Old 12-12-2011, 07:06 PM

42,662 posts, read 76,357,401 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jackson26 View Post
Canary Island is one of the most beautiful place for tours. The Canary Islands holiday destinations are the five larger islands, consisting of Gran Canaria, Tenerife, La Palma, Lanzarote and Fuerteventura. There are lots of things to do where you can enjoy every moment of your life.
I spent two days there in Las Palmas, mostly getting African visas. Aside from that, I just hung out in my hotel and went out to meals. Funchal, in Portuguese Madeira, looked nicer and more interesting, and much, much less hurried and commercial.

If you love beaches, beaches are pretty much the same everywhere. If you don't love beaches, there is no point paying to be near one.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel