Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-16-2011, 12:51 PM

6 posts, read 16,426 times

Advertisements

I will be moving from Florida to Canada and need help figuring out the drive. I drive a 2009 Mitsubishi Lancer, so a small car.

Does anyone have any general advice? The trip will begin Jan 1st.

Should I change my tires to winter ones here in Miami? I'm pretty sure my boyfriend and I will run into snow at some point or another...or should I stop somewhere along the way to change them? Or maybe use chains on the tires all the way up?

Neither of us have ever driven on snow so I'm not familiar on how well they're needed...if there's something else I might need to consider, please help!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-16-2011, 01:39 PM

14,076 posts, read 20,526,395 times
What route are you planning to use?

Old 11-16-2011, 03:19 PM

As much highway as possible. Faster and I figure those would have the best chance of being plowed.

The I-95N route in Google maps (entering Miami, FL - Montreal, QB, Canada). We'll detour a bit to sleep but that's pretty much the route.

Old 11-16-2011, 07:06 PM

14,076 posts, read 20,526,395 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lancered View Post
As much highway as possible. Faster and I figure those would have the best chance of being plowed.

The I-95N route in Google maps (entering Miami, FL - Montreal, QB, Canada). We'll detour a bit to sleep but that's pretty much the route.
I-95 doesn't go to Montreal, as I suspect you already know.

Your best route is I-95 to I-287 in NJ, then north to I-87 north, up through Albany and on across the border. You can chose your own route through Baltimore, but I prefer the Ft. McHenry Tunnel myself (I-95).

You really probably won't need snow tires or chains, unless you just insist upon driving while it's still snowing. All the states you'll go through do a pretty good job of plowing the roads, and the farther north you go, the better they get.

If you should encounter snow in GA, SC or NC, they're not really equipped for it because you'll be in the coastal plains where it doesn't snow all that often or that heavily. Just slow down and you'll be alright with regular tires.

From about Richmond, VA on up, snow is more common and they have plenty of plows and the knowhow to take care of the roads. If it gets too bad and you're not comfortable driving on it, just stop for awhile and give the plows a chance to catch up.

And, you may get lucky and have great weather all the way. Enjoy the trip.

Old 11-17-2011, 07:15 AM

14,993 posts, read 23,885,876 times
"chains on the tires all the way up"?
Are you joking? Dude you aren't crossing antarctca. Most state highway patrol agencies don't take kindly to chains on non-snow covered roads, for what should be obvious reasons. You will, at best, get strange stares, at worst, you will be arrested. Forget about chains.

From your comment about chains, I think you are overeggagerating the dangers of snow driving. Just drive slower and you will be OK.

Last edited by Dd714; 11-17-2011 at 07:28 AM..

Old 11-17-2011, 09:07 AM

16,391 posts, read 30,926,132 times
If your tires don't have good treads and you are from Miami, I would highly recommend all terrain tires. Tires are something that probably make the biggest difference when you are driving in the snow. Most people can't handle it and they get into accidents. If you're careful you'll be fine, but its very easy to be sitting in a ditch somewhere. Also, I lived in miami for a while, if you drive like you live in Miami in the snow, you probably won't make it back home ahhah.

Old 11-17-2011, 09:12 AM

167 posts, read 470,083 times
Go to tirerack and check out the tires available for you car.

Old 11-17-2011, 09:53 AM

I mentioned that I do not really have an idea of what is realistic or what is the norm. Sorry if the chains where an exaggeration or an incorrect suggestion, that was a suggestion from someone. We had discarded that idea anyway but I figured I'd throw it out there in case it was a viable option.

My tires are supposedly "all season" but I just highly doubt it. I'll see about getting them checked out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by burgler09 View Post
if you drive like you live in Miami in the snow, you probably won't make it back home ahhah.
LOL, that much I do know! 80-90mph probably won't bode well on snow

Thanks for the route stillkit, and advice everyone. Appreciated.

Old 11-17-2011, 11:23 AM

3,484 posts, read 9,419,192 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by burgler09 View Post
If your tires don't have good treads and you are from Miami, I would highly recommend all terrain tires. Tires are something that probably make the biggest difference when you are driving in the snow. Most people can't handle it and they get into accidents. If you're careful you'll be fine, but its very easy to be sitting in a ditch somewhere. Also, I lived in miami for a while, if you drive like you live in Miami in the snow, you probably won't make it back home ahhah.
I agree on all counts, especially the last part

Chains are completely unnecessary, however staying on top of the weather forecast is. If severe weather is predicted, do yourself and your potential victims a favor and stay off the road. Other than that, the highways listed are generally well plowed and treated. Just remember you need a ton of room to stop on snow covered roads, don't start off fast from a dead stop (you'll slide), and don't speed (you may have to go below the speed limit if the roadway is covered with snow). Basically, slow and steady wins the race on snowy roads. Or, more accurately, slow and steady keeps you out of a ditch on the side of I-87.

Old 11-17-2011, 05:12 PM

16,391 posts, read 30,926,132 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mels View Post
I agree on all counts, especially the last part

Have you ever driven in Miami?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel