Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-30-2011, 08:38 AM

20 posts, read 36,701 times

Advertisements

Hey!!!

I am about to move from Houston to LA and will be driving out there over a period of three (3) days. I mapped out my route and have decided that I'll make one stop at Albuquerque and one stop at the Grand Canyon. Does anyone have any other recommendations of things to visit along the way. Also, is there anything I should be aware of during this drive concerning driving conditions?

Any info would be much appreciated.

Here is the route I plan to take:

http://g.co/maps/qrgfs

Last edited by HDShootsPhotos; 11-30-2011 at 08:47 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-30-2011, 03:29 PM

32,516 posts, read 37,157,543 times
If you leave the GC in the morning you are going to hit the worst of L.A. afternoon/evening traffic on your way to Long Beach. Keep that in mind.

Old 11-30-2011, 03:52 PM

34,088 posts, read 82,920,234 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HDShootsPhotos View Post
I am about to move from Houston to LA
one stop at Albuquerque and one stop at the Grand Canyon.
Unless you have personal reasons to go through Albuquerque...
I'll suggest that you stay on I-10 all the way to Phoenix.

At that point you can decide whether you still want to go north to the GC.
If you do... head over to Vegas for a night before heading to LA on 15.

hth

Old 11-30-2011, 04:49 PM

14,076 posts, read 20,521,713 times
Quote:
Hey!!!

I am about to move from Houston to LA and will be driving out there over a period of three (3) days. I mapped out my route and have decided that I'll make one stop at Albuquerque and one stop at the Grand Canyon. Does anyone have any other recommendations of things to visit along the way. Also, is there anything I should be aware of during this drive concerning driving conditions?

Here is the route I plan to take:

Driving directions to Long Beach, CA - Google Maps
Boy, you're not only going a heck of a long ways out of route, but you're also taking yourself up into snow and blizzard country.

Old 12-01-2011, 09:30 AM

Thank you for all of the replies! It seems that I might have a more daunting task ahead of me than i thought.

@DewDropInn - I plan on leaving the GC early sunday morning in hopes to arriving in Long Beach in the early afternoon. WIll there be crazy traffic even on sunday?

@Mr. Rational - I have no personal reasons in stopping at Albuquerque, I just figured that it would be a good mid point to stop at for a night. My main focus in this trip is stopping off at the GC en route to LA, so I'm trying to map out the besqt route in doing so. Any suggestions?

@stillkit - Is there a better route I should take which allows me to stop off at the GC along the way to LA which help me steer clear of inclement weather?

Thank you all for replying back and I look forward to hearing more to what ya'll have to offer.

Old 12-01-2011, 09:41 AM

42,554 posts, read 86,928,948 times
Yes, save Grand Canyon for a better time of the year. You can get snowed in up there. Flagstaff gets as much snow as Buffalo.

Old 12-01-2011, 09:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post
Yes, save Grand Canyon for a better time of the year. You can get snowed in up there. Flagstaff gets as much snow as Buffalo.
Man I didnt even realize. I thought it was still early enough. I might have to rethink this route,. since I am already seeing snow storms in the next few days in that area. I am definitely trying not to get stranded.

Old 12-01-2011, 04:33 PM

Quote:
Man I didnt even realize. I thought it was still early enough. I might have to rethink this route,. since I am already seeing snow storms in the next few days in that area. I am definitely trying not to get stranded.
Flagstaff is getting snow as I type this. Traffic problems and accidents on both the 17 and the 40 because of it. And it's pretty routine for that area to have traffic problems because of snow, so keep an eye on the weather report.

Sunday traffic through the LA basin will probably be less on a Sunday. (Thoug predicting the traffic in LA can be a bit of a crapshoot.) One thing to factor in is how tired you may be from the long drive. Hitting LA traffic after a long drive can be exhausting. (To me anyway. )

Old 12-01-2011, 06:17 PM

34,088 posts, read 82,920,234 times
Quote:
Thank you all for replying back and I look forward to hearing more to what ya'll have to offer.
Find I-10 and point yourself west... hammer down the whole way.
Turn left when you can see the ocean.

Seriously... don't turn at the 605 and spoil this end to the "epic CC trip"

Old 12-01-2011, 06:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrRational View Post
Find I-10 and point yourself west... hammer down the whole way.
Turn left when you can see the ocean.

Seriously... don't turn at the 605 and spoil this end to the "epic CC trip"
Excellent advice. Except the hammed down the whole way because the CHP has radios. Big meanies.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel