Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-04-2011, 09:44 AM

4,782 posts, read 10,557,693 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by hogsrus View Post
...I would love to travel out that way, on the bike, but...I don't know if my old back side could hold up for that kinda trip. It would take me several days to make it all the way to the west coast but, on the other hand, what's time to a hog.
I agree; we did 6 C to C rides in the 1990s, but here in our mid 60s, it is more of a practical consideration, though many of us geezers still do cross country rides.

That's where our VetteVert, I ref'd comes into use, ...it is m'cycle fast/faster, handles remarkable on all the mtn roads and high elevation passes, can carry 4 times the gear, and if one runs with the top down occasionally, it is 'almost' like being on one of our scoots. And, there are four large tired wheels under us.

A Cross Country Road Trip we took this past summer:
Road Trip... - a set on Flickr (http://www.flickr.com/photos/45275375@N00/sets/72157627297418250/ - broken link)

Road Trip Road Pics & Car Shots... - a set on Flickr (http://www.flickr.com/photos/45275375@N00/sets/72157627332480833/ - broken link)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-04-2011, 12:53 PM

1,056 posts, read 1,865,656 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StealthRabbit View Post
Sorry for delay, I too, 'forgot' about coming back to post.

I have done many road trips 'Bronson Style'. Just me and my bag... ONLY in Mtn, Prairie States and west (Missouri River to Pacific). I'm sure I have covered most of the 'fun' roads in that zone, some daily, as I lived in Co for 20+ yrs and did the Big Thompson Canyon and Trail Ridge many times a year (lived in Estes Park).

Moving to WA and having kids put a damper on MC travel. I will do it again (I still have 7 motorcycles, ALL older than 30 yrs). I am planning a trip to Europe where I will ship a classic MC there and sell it anfter touring for a few yrs. I will have MC at each of my my 'homes' in TN, TX, SD, WA. I will usually fly between them.

I must admit, I don't get any kick out of long distance trips, or riding Interstate highways. (my best friend does ~ 1,000 / miles / week on a vintage beemer). Tho I rode in snow and every kind of weather for many yrs, ... Living in 100" of drizzle (285 days) / yr, I have gained a new appreciation for wipers, heater, radio. My $35 VW Diesels get as good of mileage as my road bikes, and the VW's don't burn dino fuel

I'm not sure how folks these days would take to me sleeping in their barns and pastures as I did 30 yrs ago. I rarely did campgrounds, and I really dislike MC traveling in groups. ONE is plenty, as I don't like 'committee' decisions, and towing folks in for repair, or pulling up to a 'bar' as a group. I find MC groups are often like a pack of dogs, and recently had vandalism issues in Death Valley where I was REAL close to driving over a whole row of 'bikes' with my MH. I think I could have 'bumped' the first one in the line and they all would have toppled... very tempting (even as a lifelong MC rider.

If I have to go far, I will throw the MC in my 'Snowbear' trailer behind a 50 mpg Passat (set up for camping / HW, outdoor shower, chuckbox, bed)). I have a 1200 mile range between fill ups... MC is good to get 200 miles. I tend to fall asleep riding STRAIGHT highways across the desert (Too many yrs as a professional TT Dirt racer, I kinda like to lay it over and 'drift' the corners. I prefer gravel / dirt to pavement).
I like to stay on the less traveled roads, interstates are okay to get to another back road. I don't like to travel in a group either, usually no more than three of us and sometimes that's two too many but, it's good friends. I can't do campgrounds, I need a real bed these days. I just try to find an almost good motel and move on. As for dirt and gravel...no way, all the dust messes up the shine. I may ride 50 miles a day or I may ride 300 miles a day it's just how I feel at any particular time.

Old 12-04-2011, 01:02 PM

1,056 posts, read 1,865,656 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by motordavid View Post
I agree; we did 6 C to C rides in the 1990s, but here in our mid 60s, it is more of a practical consideration, though many of us geezers still do cross country rides.

That's where our VetteVert, I ref'd comes into use, ...it is m'cycle fast/faster, handles remarkable on all the mtn roads and high elevation passes, can carry 4 times the gear, and if one runs with the top down occasionally, it is 'almost' like being on one of our scoots. And, there are four large tired wheels under us.

A Cross Country Road Trip we took this past summer:
Road Trip... - a set on Flickr (http://www.flickr.com/photos/45275375@N00/sets/72157627297418250/ - broken link)

Road Trip Road Pics & Car Shots... - a set on Flickr (http://www.flickr.com/photos/45275375@N00/sets/72157627332480833/ - broken link)
I can certainly see how the Vette has it's advantages. I'm nearing 60 now. I guess I waited too late in life for the loooong rides but, had to get the kids headed in the right direction (I hope) but, no regrets. I didn't ride at all for many years as like so many more people I talk with. Trying to make up for lost time can be a real pain in the A$$ both literally and figuratively.

Old 12-07-2011, 08:32 AM

213 posts, read 862,591 times
Oh how jealous I am of you guys. Back home in my country, I always used a motorcycle. After I moved to US, I had to take up a car but I miss my bike so much. I can't wait to go back home and give my motorcycle a whirl again!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel