Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-03-2011, 06:07 AM

2,319 posts, read 4,804,417 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Newdaawn View Post
I guess my short list is modest compared with other travelers here.

Yellowstone National Park
Monterey, CA and the Napa Valley
Some island in the Caribbean

Plans for one of these will be made this winter.
Yellowstone is such a wonderful, wonderful place. My best advice is go during the off-season like in May or October because there are much fewer tourists, and you will still see coyotes, bears, elk, etc.

I struck up a conversation with a fellow once who told me that he and his wife did "Christmas in Yellowstone". Actually, they flew home on Christmas Eve, but had spent the previous week there. He said the park was all but abandoned, and they saw a lot of wildlife. They did a snowmobile tour and had a personal guide. I think it's something I would like to look into as well.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-03-2011, 09:07 AM

45,217 posts, read 100,748,754 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Newdaawn View Post
I guess my short list is modest compared with other travelers here.

Yellowstone National Park
Monterey, CA and the Napa Valley
Some island in the Caribbean

Plans for one of these will be made this winter.
Your list is very doable - hope you get to one of these places soon

Old 12-03-2011, 09:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mooseketeer View Post
Japan ( the traditional and historic side of it, no interest in modern Japan , my idea of hell) , staying in traditional Riokans and eating at the best Japanese restaurants in the country as well as everyday eateries.

Bhutan

Australia ( Tasmania and West Coast mostly)

"The Spirit Bear" Rainforest and North Coast of BC , sailing along the coast and in and out of the inlets and rivers too. Also all the coastal Islands.

Sailing to the Faroe Islands

Going back to the Galapagos ( sailing again)

Sailing around the Islands of Scotland, and hugging the coast ( some of the most beautiful scenery in the world IMO)

Going back to Mongolia

Going back to Chile and Patagonia

Sailing around the world , hugging all the coastlines as much as possible

Oh wow, your Japan plan sounds awesome - makes me think of the Tom Cruise movie The Last Samurai

Old 12-03-2011, 09:21 AM

10,646 posts, read 16,035,527 times
Road trip in the US for a year with a couple buddies, visiting all the major cities and party 24/7!

Old 12-03-2011, 03:33 PM

905 posts, read 3,455,412 times
USA: Maine, Alaska, Wyoming, & Montana.

Europe: Been most places, would love to go to Norway, St Petersburg, & Poland.

South America: Galapagos, Rio, Buenos Aries.

Asia: India, Vietnam, Laos.

“The World is a book, and those who do not travel read only a page.” St Augustine

Old 12-03-2011, 07:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pvande55 View Post
Japan
Germany
The Netherlands (ancestral homeland)
England and France via Chunnel
Israel
Ohhhh, the Chunnel intimidates me, don't think I could do it!

Israel, yes - that should be on my list

Old 12-04-2011, 02:51 AM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,726 posts, read 58,079,686 times
Cook Islands
Argentina
More of Switzerland and Austria (I can never get enough of them, and was fortunate enough to live there)
maybe a season at the Antarctica Science station.
Northern Canada
PEI
Denmark / Holland (rural)

Quote:
Originally Posted by peppermint View Post
Yellowstone is such a wonderful, wonderful place. My best advice is go during the off-season ...
fellow once who told me that he and his wife did "Christmas in Yellowstone". ... I think it's something I would like to look into as well.
DEFINITELY do Yellowstone in the winter some time Many of my friends who frequently visit the park, rant and rave and show hours of excellent winter shots (DON'T forget the Tetons ... Take a canoe / Raft through the Park, a very different and interesting perspective and MUCH wildlife. (I don't suggest this mode of travel in winter ) Late summer is nice... You really should just live there for a couple seasons (worse case take a job with Xanterra (NP concessionaires) Lodging can be included. Being a 'snow-coach' driver might be a nice winter job.

Old 12-04-2011, 06:40 AM

2,319 posts, read 4,804,417 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StealthRabbit View Post
DEFINITELY do Yellowstone in the winter some time Many of my friends who frequently visit the park, rant and rave and show hours of excellent winter shots (DON'T forget the Tetons ... Take a canoe / Raft through the Park, a very different and interesting perspective and MUCH wildlife. (I don't suggest this mode of travel in winter ) Late summer is nice... You really should just live there for a couple seasons (worse case take a job with Xanterra (NP concessionaires) Lodging can be included. Being a 'snow-coach' driver might be a nice winter job.
Well, living there will have to wait until retirement, I'm afraid. We have not made our last trip to Yellowstone, I'm sure. We love it there. Of course, the Grand Tetons are also amazing.

Old 12-04-2011, 03:41 PM

5,921 posts, read 13,858,315 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovesMountains View Post
It's awesome that you've been so many amazing places! Of the things on my list that you have done, which was your favorite? (and you got it right about kicking the bucket - these are all places I want to see before I die )
Like so many young people in Europe who were young in the 50's and 60's (like when we were in our late teens or early 20's), I did a lot of backpacking, wandering, bicycling all over. Did not cost much, AND it was kind of safe to do so !!
Then I got married and other responsibilities took their place.
Then the jobs took me many places where I could take my family with me !!
Today, I hang around *home base* with the grand kids, but I hanker to the places where I grew up.

LBNL, my most favourite place to visit is still Western Europe, because that is where my *roots were*.
In 1995 we took one more nostalgia trip around the area where I grew up, before we went back to the USA. We visited where I lived as a 12 year old. Then my oldest son found an inscription on a bridge railing I made at that time. My wife asked why I was crying ? All those sweet memories came back from that time !! I could not believe they did not replace that bridge railing for that many years !!!

Second in line of the places I really like is the USA itself !!! So many places to see here, I often wonder why so many people go worldwide and not know much of the USA it self (if you are a Native of the USA).
I can not get enough of the vast open spaces we have here. I was standing in the middle of a wheat field in Kansas, and all I could say was: *Dang, this is a huge country ... so much nothing !!!*
I often fly over the desert areas of Southern Utah (I am a recreational pilot), and I can not believe what I see. Here is the kicker. Unless you fly *over* those areas at a slow speed and low altitude, you really do not know what you're missing !!!
The USA, goes form *utterly boring*, like driving thru Wyoming and the only scenery that changes is the yellow line in the middle of the road, to *Holy Cow, this is utterly amazing*, like the National Parks we have here !!!

OK, maybe I have one more Bucket list item, and that is to do a cross country at slow pace all over the USA. This time by car, because I can not walk without crutches anymore for longer then 15 minutes.

Old 12-04-2011, 04:22 PM
PDD

8,773 posts, read 18,391,312 times
Since we won't fly anymore, (lots of reasons) I guess we will have to see the West coast attractions with a long road trip. Yellowstone, Yosemite, The Giant Redwoods, The Pacific coast and most everything we pass on the way there and back. I would like to do the Colorado river raft tour but wife is not into getting her hair wet among other excuses.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel