U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-05-2011, 09:21 PM

905 posts, read 3,124,636 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by burgler09 View Post
Are there other places around the Czech Republic that are really cool?!

I spent a couple of nights in Cesky Krumlov. Great hiking, biking, and sight seeing.

Český Krumlov - Wikitravel
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-05-2011, 09:26 PM

16,409 posts, read 27,076,101 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CRock View Post
I spent a couple of nights in Cesky Krumlov. Great hiking, biking, and sight seeing.

Český Krumlov - Wikitravel
Awesome!! That will definitely be added to the list, that is exactly something I'd love

Old 12-05-2011, 09:38 PM

Quote:
Awesome!! That will definitely be added to the list, that is exactly something I'd love
In the mid 90's I went to Prague and fell in love with it. I went back in "06 and decided to check out a smaller Czech town. I found Cesky Krumlov in the guide books and was glad I went. Quaint, laid back/quiet.

Old 12-06-2011, 02:58 AM

13,386 posts, read 41,520,732 times
Quote:
That's an interesting take on it. I have a slight idea of an itinerary now kind of going by everyone's recommendations here.

I thought I'd take bluewillow's idea on 1 week per country and give myself 4 weeks for 4 countries. I've been trying to set it up so they are reasonable, but I was thinking.

1. Fly to paris, spend a day or so in paris (it isn't a huge interest to me) then meet up with my ex in Lille then head to the south of france which has always been interesting to me and checking out some castles and Marseille.

2. From France, head from Paris to Berlin and check out the Berlin wall and some things around there. (if anyone has a recommendation for germany it'd be nice to hear because i don't know a LOT about it).

3. From Germany head over to the Czech Republic for Prague which is a city I 100% want to see. Are there other places around the Czech Republic that are really cool?

4. Then from Czech Republic head to Croatia to check that out, it seemed really interesting and I honestly don't know much about it! and then head back to paris for my flight back to USA

I thought Vilnius, Lithuania would be cool to see, but I am beginning to think with my itinerary it'd be trying to pack a little too much (distance-wise) into the trip. Is my thinking correct or would it really be possible?

Also, I do feel a little bad about missing out on Italy, I do however feel that Italy could be almost a trip of its own.

Are there things that I'm missing or that you guys feel I should try to look into more or do my +/- plans seem fairly solid? I think that cover's jtur's Germanic/Romance/Slavic sections too!
Seems like a little bit of wasted movement at first (arrive Paris, up to Lille, back down to Paris, then down to the south).
Suggestion:
You could fly directly to the south of France at first, (Nice or Marseilles) then make your way north in a loop. Weather-wise, this would be good, beginning in the warmer climates, then heading north.
From the southeast coast of France (don't miss little Collioure), you could hug the coast, moving into Liguria, Italy, and finally Venice. Then dip into Croatia, Slovenia, Austria, Czech Republic, and finally Germany. To me, Berlin is a must-see. Then make your way east.
Finish up with Lille.
You have the time to do this, but going as far as Lithuania might be pushing it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by CRock View Post
My son visited this town and loved it.

Old 12-06-2011, 05:25 PM

Quote:
Hey Burgler, If you are interested in more out of the way places check out Ljubljana, Slovenia. While in Zagreb I spoke with fellow travelers who raved about Ljubljana. I took the plunge and took the 2 hour train through the hills to LJU. I found a charming city whose old town bordered the river. Incredible architecture, laid back and unhurried, I planned on spending 2 nights and spent 5! There are no hoards of tourists. It was such a respite, I hope to return some day.

One day I took a day trip to the Slovenia Alps. It was so easy, I went via bus to Lake Bled and Lake Bojhin, it was a highlight of Slovenia. Who knew? That is what I love about traveling. Be flexible and go with the flow, you never know what is around the corner!

Old 12-06-2011, 06:07 PM

5,547 posts, read 6,901,612 times
my daughter and I loved Prague. Architecture = beautiful. History = incredible. People = wonderful. food and beer did not appeal to me, but my daughter liked it. If you like Budweiser, it is very similar. Very germanic food.

Old 12-21-2011, 04:26 AM

28 posts, read 30,104 times
Quote:
That's an interesting take on it. I have a slight idea of an itinerary now kind of going by everyone's recommendations here.

I thought I'd take bluewillow's idea on 1 week per country and give myself 4 weeks for 4 countries. I've been trying to set it up so they are reasonable, but I was thinking.

1. Fly to paris, spend a day or so in paris (it isn't a huge interest to me) then meet up with my ex in Lille then head to the south of france which has always been interesting to me and checking out some castles and Marseille.

2. From France, head from Paris to Berlin and check out the Berlin wall and some things around there. (if anyone has a recommendation for germany it'd be nice to hear because i don't know a LOT about it).

3. From Germany head over to the Czech Republic for Prague which is a city I 100% want to see. Are there other places around the Czech Republic that are really cool?

4. Then from Czech Republic head to Croatia to check that out, it seemed really interesting and I honestly don't know much about it! and then head back to paris for my flight back to USA

I thought Vilnius, Lithuania would be cool to see, but I am beginning to think with my itinerary it'd be trying to pack a little too much (distance-wise) into the trip. Is my thinking correct or would it really be possible?

Also, I do feel a little bad about missing out on Italy, I do however feel that Italy could be almost a trip of its own.

Are there things that I'm missing or that you guys feel I should try to look into more or do my +/- plans seem fairly solid? I think that cover's jtur's Germanic/Romance/Slavic sections too!

For the ppl who like Prague, I´d like to recommend Budapest as well.
Eastern europe is generally much cheaper than the rest of europe. 2 nice cities.

Scandinavia, nothing special, just expensive.

Southern coast of France is beautiful, but pretty expensive. Its easy to travel between the cities. Nice, Cannes & Monaco are my favourites. Not to far to north west parts of Italy, beautiful places.

For the ppl who like Paris, I´d like to recommende Rome, its same but better in every way. Amazing place.

Vienna, worlds most overated place.

Croatia is a beautiful country and is very cheap compared to the rest of europe.

Berlin is not very interestning imo. Actually I´d say skip Germany. Check out Austria and/or Switzerland instead.

Barcelona is a nice city well worth visiting.

UK, dont bother.

The Greece islands are beautiful.

If you go to Prague or Budapest, you could easily skip Vilnius.

Old 12-22-2011, 09:23 AM

24,629 posts, read 25,471,680 times
Accommodations in Prague are not inexpensive, unless you're looking at hostels.

I'm in Czech at least once a month, usually more. I drove over for some really good bread today, because they were out in Pilsner (home to pilsner beers) on Sunday. Czech is that close to me.
Cesky Krumlov is very nice and it's only 10 km from Cesky Budvar, home of the original Budweiser beer.
Olomouc is a delightful Czech college town, and a world heritage site. It's not far from Poland.
Telc, Trebic and Trebon are nice.
Last weekend we visited Kutna Hora with a world heritage cathedral or two and an ossiary (bone church).

______
Go to your library and start reading travel books. Get one for Eastern Europe and another for Western Europe.
Get a map, read, and see what strikes your fancy.
Do that.

Old 12-22-2011, 12:00 PM

I'm going to probably be doing couch surfing for majority of my trip, also, most of my trip in France is going to be free. My buddy might be coming along with me to Italy, which could cut costs in half. The only places I'd have to couch surf would be Czech Republic and Germany.

I have narrowed down my trip, and I decided on Italy over Croatia:

My trip is now
Italy
Naples
Rome
Venice

France
Paris/Lille
Normandy

Germany
Berlin

Czech Republic
Prague
Cesky Krumlov

I really don't want to try to pack so much into the trip where I can't get a really good feel for everything.

There's a good chance it could change again, but I'm trying to get the most out of my trip and really be able to see a lot of things per city, instead of just a small glance at a ton of cities.

Old 12-22-2011, 12:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chielgirl View Post
Accommodations in Prague are not inexpensive, unless you're looking at hostels.

I'm in Czech at least once a month, usually more. I drove over for some really good bread today, because they were out in Pilsner (home to pilsner beers) on Sunday. Czech is that close to me.
Cesky Krumlov is very nice and it's only 10 km from Cesky Budvar, home of the original Budweiser beer.
Olomouc is a delightful Czech college town, and a world heritage site. It's not far from Poland.
Telc, Trebic and Trebon are nice.
Last weekend we visited Kutna Hora with a world heritage cathedral or two and an ossiary (bone church).

______
Go to your library and start reading travel books. Get one for Eastern Europe and another for Western Europe.
Get a map, read, and see what strikes your fancy.
Do that.

Very cool advice there, I really wanted to see Kutna Hora! I will try to look more into some of the other places you brought up too. A lot will really depend on how much time I get.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel