Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-25-2011, 02:25 PM

17,531 posts, read 24,685,656 times

Advertisements

Trying to split the distance for a vacation. One couple coming from Tucson the other from Ohio (with kids).

So far I'm looking at Branson or Mt Rushmore. Any other ideas for about a week?

Old 12-25-2011, 08:27 PM

14,076 posts, read 20,520,451 times
How about the Dallas/Ft. Worth area? It's about 900 miles either way and there's plenty to do there.

But, you didn't mention what season they'll be coming, so much will depend upon that.

Old 12-25-2011, 09:21 PM

16,393 posts, read 30,258,017 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stillkit View Post
How about the Dallas/Ft. Worth area? It's about 900 miles either way and there's plenty to do there.

But, you didn't mention what season they'll be coming, so much will depend upon that.

Agreed. There is infinitely more to do in DFW than in Branson or South Dakota. Also, SD is a bit out of the way for both parties.

Old 12-26-2011, 05:03 AM

14,076 posts, read 20,520,451 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jlawrence01 View Post
Also, SD is a bit out of the way for both parties.

Not to mention as cold as Ben and Jerry's in the winter.

Who can have fun when the temperature is 15 below?

Old 12-26-2011, 07:46 AM

Quote:

One group has kids so it will probably be summer when school is out.
Mt Rushmore would be a strretch but OK and long as it doesn't coincide with Sturgis

What are some of the lots of things around Dallas

Old 12-26-2011, 10:49 AM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,687 posts, read 57,985,728 times
For Summer I would avoid TX. otherwise San Antonio and hill country region is nice with a variety of stuff for all ages (Maybe a houseboat on Canyon Lake for part of that time)

For summer I would make the OHIO folks bite the bullet, and do Colorado or Yellowstone / Tetons, UT or MT.

That said... stuff more near Ohio (for the next trip). I like Lincoln, NE and Pioneer Village) and villagesofvanburen.com, SE IA)

SD is great too (Avoiding the weeks around Sturgis Rally)

Old 12-26-2011, 10:52 AM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,687 posts, read 57,985,728 times
Quote:

I have fun and Ice Cream in SD winters. Hot Springs, SD is a good place to winter IN,

Old 12-26-2011, 04:41 PM

It's NOT going to be winter and a there will be 4 Children ranging from 3-18. I don't think we can entertain four kids, three teenage, with a Pioneer Village for three days. We did the Grand Canyon two years ago and that was OK although cold in April.

Anyone know anything around Land between the Lakes or Branson?

Old 12-27-2011, 08:25 PM

1,238 posts, read 4,469,166 times
Branson is a great place to keep kids occupied. Not my style of travel, but thousands of people go there every year. What to expect:
1. It's going to cost a lot of money. It's a tourist town, what do you expect? Reasonable lodging, but Ripley's, mini-golf, Silver Dollar City, Shephard of the Hills, go-karts, Butterfly Palace ain't cheap.
2. It's all man-made. There is very little of the unspoiled Ozarks left. The lake is frequently host to bass tournaments. Not the place to get back to nature.
3. Traffic. Awful traffic. Learn to use the differently colored routes that by-pass 76 Country Boulevard.
4. Lots of country music shows, some with past-famous singers. A few top-notch shows such as the Chinese Acrobats.
5. Time-share salesmen everywhere. Just do what we do, tell them you are local and walk on. Be wary of information kiosks, this is where they get you to stop.
We live 90 miles away and usually spend a couple weekends a year in Branson for shopping, restaurants or Silver Dollar City. But we go when the kids are in school after the summer throngs have thinned out. I would never choose to spend a week there. Way too touristy for our tastes!

Old 12-28-2011, 10:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by firebll31 View Post
Branson is a great place to keep kids occupied. Not my style of travel, but thousands of people go there every year. What to expect:
1. It's going to cost a lot of money. It's a tourist town, what do you expect? Reasonable lodging, but Ripley's, mini-golf, Silver Dollar City, Shephard of the Hills, go-karts, Butterfly Palace ain't cheap.
2. It's all man-made. There is very little of the unspoiled Ozarks left. The lake is frequently host to bass tournaments. Not the place to get back to nature.
3. Traffic. Awful traffic. Learn to use the differently colored routes that by-pass 76 Country Boulevard.
4. Lots of country music shows, some with past-famous singers. A few top-notch shows such as the Chinese Acrobats.
5. Time-share salesmen everywhere. Just do what we do, tell them you are local and walk on. Be wary of information kiosks, this is where they get you to stop.
We live 90 miles away and usually spend a couple weekends a year in Branson for shopping, restaurants or Silver Dollar City. But we go when the kids are in school after the summer throngs have thinned out. I would never choose to spend a week there. Way too touristy for our tastes!
Perhaps Easter Break, sounds like something to look into. I'm used to going to California so I don't think expense will be a problem.
The two teenagers will spend the entire time texting their friends at home, the ten year old will play video games and the little one doesn't care where he is.

Last edited by Boompa; 12-28-2011 at 11:08 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.