Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-11-2011, 04:39 PM

101 posts, read 193,821 times

Advertisements

Anyone here go on an RTW trip? How was it?
I'm saving and planning for one in the long-term future so I can take a sabbatical, leave of absence or even switch careers afterward.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-11-2011, 04:46 PM

42,554 posts, read 86,954,125 times
Yes, but I didn't completely fulfill it. I bought a RTW trip, but got only as far as India, where I had to return home because of an illness in the family. I paid my own way home, and the got a partial (but substantial) refund from the unused portions of my ticket. The ticket was good for one year, and I was 8-months out when I got to India.

Often, RTW tickets do not fly across Europe. Assuming that most people who use it want to spend time touring Europe, so they book you into maybe Istanbul or Athens, and then out of London or Paris. You then would need to pay separately across Europe. They also do not usually start and end at the same spot. A westbound RTW might start out at Los Angels and terminate in New York. It assumes that you live somewhere else, and you have the responsibility to get to and from the gateways. The price rises according to how many stops. The minimum is about four.

For a very low price, I had quite a lot of stops, which were Los Angeles, Seoul, Taipei, Hong Kong, Bangkok, Bombay, Istanbul, London, New York. I started from Tallahassee, and I think that flight to LA was included. I traveled overland HK/BKK, but did not try to get that leg refunded. I was very pleased with the price, but it was 15 years ago, so I don't remember the price, nor would it be relevant now. It was pretty close to $2,000.

There are several travel agents who specialize in packaging RTWs. The one I used specialized in student travel, but anyone is eligible to use their fares.

Last edited by jtur88; 12-11-2011 at 04:57 PM..

Old 12-11-2011, 07:56 PM

3,609 posts, read 7,919,691 times
Did it once, in the course of a bit more than a week, in business class. It was pretty fine.

I went west, and still haven't figured out whether I gained or lost a day.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel