Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-17-2019, 09:28 PM

17,587 posts, read 13,362,412 times

Advertisements

https://www.bestproducts.com/fun-thi...n-trail-guide/

This is a great vacation, or mini-vacation

The tours are excellent, plus the restaurants and places to stay in this article are wonderful

MrsM and I have been on the trail 3-4 times in the past five years. Highly recommend it to all
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-18-2019, 03:03 AM

18,813 posts, read 32,512,273 times
I can recall wanting to try some whiskey or bourbon or something like that while traveling in the south, only to learn that the distillery was actually located in a "dry" county, so they couldn't let anyone taste it or buy it at their location. They were allowed to make the product, but it had to be shipped somewhere else to be sold. They still had tours, but you couldn't taste or buy.

I didn't read the full article, but if you want to go tasting, just be sure you can actually taste and/or purchase at the location. We were able to tour the facility, but not taste nor purchase anything. Sorry, I can't remember exactly where this was, although I'm thinking it was Tennessee, but just check things out before you go. Some places in the south, including Texas and other states, are "dry" areas. Sometimes you can still drink but the establishment must be a private club, etc. Anyway, just check to be sure you can actually taste and/or purchase at the venue.

Old 05-18-2019, 12:37 PM

3,608 posts, read 7,924,409 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoMoreSnowForMe View Post
I can recall wanting to try some whiskey or bourbon or something like that while traveling in the south, only to learn that the distillery was actually located in a "dry" county, so they couldn't let anyone taste it or buy it at their location. They were allowed to make the product, but it had to be shipped somewhere else to be sold. They still had tours, but you couldn't taste or buy.
Yeah, that's really a bummer.

I would point out that in Ireland and Scotland you CAN taste and buy at the distillery.

Old 05-18-2019, 04:13 PM

15,546 posts, read 12,024,982 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rational1 View Post
Yeah, that's really a bummer.

I would point out that in Ireland and Scotland you CAN taste and buy at the distillery.
At most of the ones here in the US you can also taste and buy at the distillery.

Jack Daniels is one of the few where you can only buy the product and tasting is not part of the tour.

Old 05-20-2019, 05:19 AM

14,993 posts, read 23,896,013 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoMoreSnowForMe View Post

That would be Jack Daniels, which is actually not on the kentucky bourbon trail (since of course it's not in Kentucky).
Only had time for Makers Mark tour in Kentucky, JD is pretty interesting as well. Also did a Whiskey Museam tour in Scotland but I much prefer bourbon whiskey.

Old 05-20-2019, 01:34 PM

12,722 posts, read 7,578,274 times
There are some great distillery tours in the town of Tequila, Mexico which is within spitting distance of the lovely city of Guadalajara.

It's a working site (well at least the one on Avenida Jose Cuervo we went to) and they take you from trucks pulling up with yucca plants to roasting, distilling, etc. it's really interesting. Bonus = you can go crazy tasting there since they offer you as many pulls as you want at each stage of the maturing process where it gets darker and darker with age. Plus it's mostly Mexican tourists so pretty festive, lots of fun in the square at night.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel