Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-02-2012, 10:39 AM

24,620 posts, read 28,279,876 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by View Post
At the same time, there are also plenty of Americans that find Jamaica, Bahamas, and Dominican Republic overrated and not worthwhile destinations, including me.

Places like Thailand, Taiwan, Singapore, Vietnam, Southern China, India, Parts of Australia, Mexico, Costa Rica, Hawaii etc. are much better tropical warm weather destinations.
For ford's sake, you're talking about your preferences only.
You can't possibly speak for others.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-02-2012, 10:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pigeonhole View Post
My mum who has been to both says Thailand is way overrated compared to India (she's been to Bangkok/phuket in Thailand, Bombay/Pune/Goa in India):
I'm quoting my mum here:
- "India being a former British colony, English is more commonly spoked there"
- "Thai people despise the Farangs and put up big smiles because they are extremely greedy; on the other hand, Indian people despise Westerners , not for lowly materialistic reasons, but because of their spiritual beliefs [if that makes a difference?] but will always be extremely polite because they are pacifists"
- "There is a tsunami of tourists in Thailand so the country is much more damaged than India-it seems that the only tourists lately in Goa are male and female Tsahal soldiers"
-" India is way cheaper now than Thailand"

What do you make of that? (I've not traveled to these 2 countrues, so...)
Her preference only.
Your mum is seriously inaccurate in her assumption about Thai people.
I know Thailand, as does NightBazaar and a few others.
I've been there 20 times and travel there again for a month from this coming Friday.
There are many places in Thailand where there is not a tsunami of tourists. She chose two of the biggest tourist destinations in Thailand. I'd still disagree with her assertion about Bangkok.

From her very limited experience in BKK and Phuket she's judging an entire extremely diverse country. Feh.

Last edited by chielgirl; 01-02-2012 at 11:04 AM..

Old 01-02-2012, 11:02 AM

41,957 posts, read 75,183,468 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chielgirl View Post
Wouldn't that be the point of this thread, for people to discuss their preferences when traveling?

Old 01-02-2012, 11:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohiogirl81 View Post
Wouldn't that be the point of this thread, for people to discuss their preferences when traveling?
If only. However, that's not what they're saying or arguing.
I particularly enjoy (not) people making comments on places they've never visited.

Old 01-02-2012, 11:05 AM
Status: "From 31 to 41 Countries Visited: )" (set 8 days ago)

4,640 posts, read 13,919,105 times
Quote:
You can't possibly speak for others.
Quote:
If only. However, that's not what they're saying or arguing.
I particularly enjoy (not) people making comments on places they've never visited.
I already know I was talking about my traveling preferences. Everybody that posted in this thread is expressing their traveling preferences, and that is a given.

I know a ton of people that would agree with what I said for most overrated countries, and the countries I mentioned for being more worthwhile tropical destinations than other countries.

Of course, there are also plenty of people that would disagree with what I said, and that is fine.

I already know plenty of things about all of the countries I was talking about.

Last edited by ; 01-02-2012 at 11:31 AM..

Old 01-02-2012, 11:46 AM

Quote:
No there are many gypsies and pick-pocketers in France. And I blame them whole heartedly. There's no way in HELL my camera could have gotten stolen ANYWHERE else. It was in my freakin coat sleeve. Nobody can see a camera there! They are professionals and conniving freaks. And for some reason there are much more in France than in other countries. My French teacher once told me that a year after our class took the French trip, another class did the same and had ALL their luggage stolen!! RIDICULOUS!!!
I travel to France regularly.
I've never been pickpocketed there.

I have been pickpocketed in Madrid; I don't hate the country for it.

Old 01-02-2012, 12:04 PM

41,957 posts, read 75,183,468 times
Quote:
I travel to France regularly.
I've never been pickpocketed there.
Congratulations. Are you discounting the other posters' experiences?

Quote:
I have been pickpocketed in Madrid; I don't hate the country for it.
Well, bless your heart. But this thread is about personal experience and preference. Your experience, however different, does not invalidate someone else's.

Old 01-02-2012, 01:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohiogirl81 View Post
Congratulations. Are you discounting the other posters' experiences?

Nope, just pointing out that not everyone has such experiences.

Well, bless your heart. But this thread is about personal experience and preference. Your experience, however different, does not invalidate someone else's.
Who said that it invalidated anything?
Not everyone (or even most) people who travel to France have the same experience. Period.
And to blame all "gypsies" - ridiculous.

Maybe the poster is simply a bad traveler?

Old 01-02-2012, 02:42 PM

42,554 posts, read 86,968,624 times
Quote:
My mum who has been to both says Thailand is way overrated compared to India (:
I agree with your mum 100%. She is right on. And I've been through the whole country of Thailand twice, crossing its borders with Laos, Burma and Malaysia, and avoided Phuket and other touristy places, and I still have no desire to go back again.

Old 01-02-2012, 03:10 PM

8,263 posts, read 12,197,191 times
Quote:
My mum who has been to both says Thailand is way overrated compared to India (she's been to Bangkok/phuket in Thailand, Bombay/Pune/Goa in India):
I'm quoting my mum here:
- "India being a former British colony, English is more commonly spoked there"
- "Thai people despise the Farangs and put up big smiles because they are extremely greedy; on the other hand, Indian people despise Westerners , not for lowly materialistic reasons, but because of their spiritual beliefs [if that makes a difference?] but will always be extremely polite because they are pacifists"
- "There is a tsunami of tourists in Thailand so the country is much more damaged than India-it seems that the only tourists lately in Goa are male and female Tsahal soldiers"
-" India is way cheaper now than Thailand"

What do you make of that? (I've not traveled to these 2 countrues, so...)
I'd disagree with your mum 100%, she is completely off except for the part about English being more commonly spoken in India.

A trip thru tourist hotspots certainly doesn't qualify someone to label over a billion Indians as pacifists and 70 million Thais as haters of farangs. In fact I'd rate Agra as having some of the most aggressive, rude, pushy scam artists and touts in the world. Don't listen to people who try to stereotype entire cultures, both countries have good people and bad people.

Personally I'd take Thailand over India any day just for the food, and no India isn't way cheaper one could easily do either one on a very small budget if wanted or stay in five star hotels and spend hundreds/night.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel