Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-19-2011, 02:11 AM

24,544 posts, read 56,047,835 times

Advertisements

Which countries have generally disappointed you? I think it largely depends on your individual holiday experience; there are few countries that seem outright DULL to me (some that come to mind include Mali and Belarus), but there are some which people rave on about that don't meet up.

Personally I've never been disappointed by an entire country. But I will say some countries seem overrated in categories:

The UK, especially Scotland, for scenery. I've heard some say how beautiful Scotland is, even that it's one of the most beautiful. I've seen photos and coupled with the bleak weather it didn't look very special at all. I can name many countries that beat it for natural scenery, New Zealand for one. Scotland still can look pretty and the castles and stuff would be kind of interesting.

The US as a country is so huge and it far from disappointed me, but states that let me down include Texas. It wasn't what I was expecting.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-19-2011, 02:22 AM

2,957 posts, read 12,724,336 times
You went on holiday to Belarus? No, really?

Old 12-19-2011, 02:24 AM

24,544 posts, read 56,047,835 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by azoria View Post
You went on holiday to Belarus? No, really?
No but it's one of the few countries I have no interest in ever visiting.

Old 12-19-2011, 02:31 AM

2,957 posts, read 12,724,336 times
Then what is the point of your post? You claim that Belarus is dull for a holiday (which no doubt it is ) and then go on to say.... you've never been there.

So shall I list all the places I've never been to that are dull? 195 (or so) counties in the world. I've never been to most of them, dull or not, but I can speculate from behind my computer which ones I might be most disappointed in--keeping in mind I've never been there.

You might want to delete this thread. Better, really.

Old 12-19-2011, 02:43 AM

5,781 posts, read 11,871,739 times
- Portugal
- Algeria

Old 12-19-2011, 11:30 AM

7,725 posts, read 12,618,642 times
France is a country that I was severely left disappointed and bitter about. Not only did France look NOTHING like the movies, but I and a couple of other tourist had our things stolen and attempted thefts several times by pick-pocketers and gypsies! I will never forget the day I was traveling to the Eiffel Tower and got my camera stolen out of my freakin coat sleeve (where I ALWAYS safely left it) while on the subway. And it was by the window seat!! These people are professional theives! I'm NO naive tourist by any means. I've been to New York several times and NEVER had my things stolen. The people in Europe are on a whole 'nother level of theivery. I was severly pissed off and I vowed I would never visit France again.

I don't know where American film makers got the idea that Paris is some kind of magical and romantic city. It is NOT. And the French language really isn't romantic. It's annoying. And the food of France? Oh please. Don't get me started. First of all, French food is NOT high-class and the fine dining type like they want you to believe. It is very cheap and tasteless food anyone could make at home! Very strange recipes and combinations. The best food I had on that trip was American food! And the portions are ridiculously small! I'm a grown man and I need BIG MAN portions not some dainty little snag. I swear I lost weight on that trip. And one more thing I have to address. French people DO NOT know how to make pizza! For a continent where Italians are scattered all over, I was vehemently surprised at the quality and taste of the supposed "gourmet" French pizza we had. It was gawd-awful.

I had a little taste of Europe and that was more than enough for me. It's highly overrated.

Old 12-19-2011, 11:39 AM

9,519 posts, read 14,741,992 times
I was disappointed in Paris, but not by France in general, which I enjoyed. I think for most Americans Paris is the first big European city they see and they're dazzled by the "european-ness" . I spent a week in Brussels first and wasn't that charmed by Paris when I got there. STILL don't appreciate the Seine. A big, dirty, concrete ditch.
But the food was fantastic. Why would anyone go to Paris and order pizza?

Old 12-19-2011, 12:04 PM

61,694 posts, read 87,077,794 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by allenk893 View Post
France is a country that I was severely left disappointed and bitter about. Not only did France look NOTHING like the movies, but I and a couple of other tourist had our things stolen and attempted thefts several times by pick-pocketers and gypsies! I will never forget the day I was traveling to the Eiffel Tower and got my camera stolen out of my freakin coat sleeve (where I ALWAYS safely left it) while on the subway. And it was by the window seat!! These people are professional theives! I'm NO naive tourist by any means. I've been to New York several times and NEVER had my things stolen. The people in Europe are on a whole 'nother level of theivery. I was severly pissed off and I vowed I would never visit France again.

I don't know where American film makers got the idea that Paris is some kind of magical and romantic city. It is NOT. And the French language really isn't romantic. It's annoying. And the food of France? Oh please. Don't get me started. First of all, French food is NOT high-class and the fine dining type like they want you to believe. It is very cheap and tasteless food anyone could make at home! Very strange recipes and combinations. The best food I had on that trip was American food! And the portions are ridiculously small! I'm a grown man and I need BIG MAN portions not some dainty little snag. I swear I lost weight on that trip. And one more thing I have to address. French people DO NOT know how to make pizza! For a continent where Italians are scattered all over, I was vehemently surprised at the quality and taste of the supposed "gourmet" French pizza we had. It was gawd-awful.

I had a little taste of Europe and that was more than enough for me. It's highly overrated.
Places in movies do look different in real life.
Do you speak French? Because if you don't, then every language could sound annoying, for someone who does not understand a word.
There are many thieves in big, tourist cities - but they are not necessary local, French people. Don't blame anyone, you should better watch your stuff.
Food is great and is famous. You cannot expect that they will cook American-French just to please your taste. I am not sure where you ate, and I am sorry that you got the wrong choices from the menu.
The portions are smaller compared to the food load you get in the US. Actually the portions are NORMAL. Suitable for people with normal appetite and weight. If you are a "big man", like you said, then you should order double/triple portion.
As for pizza - first: pizza home is in Italy. Second: that what you get here in the US do not even resemble the original pizza made in Italy. What you eat here is a pizza made for Americans. Don't expect American pizza in Paris or anywhere else in Europe. You want American, go to Pizza Hut type of place.
If you cannot eat local food, look for places that sell American food. They are there for a reason. McDonalds around the world taste pretty much the same.

Old 12-19-2011, 01:29 PM

7,725 posts, read 12,618,642 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elnina View Post
Places in movies do look different in real life.
Do you speak French? Because if you don't, then every language could sound annoying, for someone who does not understand a word.
Actually I speak Haitian Creole. My family speaks both Creole and French so I grew up understanding it. I have lived in Montreal where they spoke it and visited France in the native region and I still think it sounds annoying. The Lurs and miers in the language are not attractive to me. I think Italian sounds much better.

Quote:
There are many thieves in big, tourist cities - but they are not necessary local, French people. Don't blame anyone, you should better watch your stuff.
No there are many gypsies and pick-pocketers in France. And I blame them whole heartedly. There's no way in HELL my camera could have gotten stolen ANYWHERE else. It was in my freakin coat sleeve. Nobody can see a camera there! They are professionals and conniving freaks. And for some reason there are much more in France than in other countries. My French teacher once told me that a year after our class took the French trip, another class did the same and had ALL their luggage stolen!! RIDICULOUS!!!

Quote:
Food is great and is famous. You cannot expect that they will cook American-French just to please your taste.
I wasn't expecting them to. I'm not an ignorant American tourist. I just pointed out that their food is sub-par at best. Nothing like the high-class rave reviews that they love to boast about.

Quote:
I am not sure where you ate, and I am sorry that you got the wrong choices from the menu.
A majority of the food was chosen for us. And these were supposed to be typical French cuisine. Ranging from low-key to fine-dining options. None of them were up to snuff in my opinion.

Quote:
The portions are smaller compared to the food load you get in the US. Actually the portions are NORMAL. Suitable for people with normal appetite and weight. If you are a "big man", like you said, then you should order double/triple portion.
I'm not really a BIG man physically speaking. I'm pretty skinny. I'm typical weight of a European man. I mean, I looked like every other man on the street while I was there. Except I have a BIG MAN appetite. And European portions just weren't cutting it. And secondly, I didn't see any options to super size the platters that were offered. I saw the food name and the outrageous expensive prices I paid for a tiny little snag of food.

Quote:
As for pizza - first: pizza home is in Italy.
Um, I think I know that.

Quote:
Second: that what you get here in the US do not even resemble the original pizza made in Italy.
There's plenty of authentic Italian pizzerias in America. I have a friend who has family in Italy and he introduced me to restaurants that have pizza just like in Italy.

Quote:
What you eat here is a pizza made for Americans. Don't expect American pizza in Paris or anywhere else in Europe. You want American, go to Pizza Hut type of place.
I wasn't expecting American! I was expecting Italian and what was served was NOT Italian in the least! There's NO way. Too many people have told me that the pizza in Italy is absolutely off the wall delicious. American Italian pizza is one step below. There's NO way the nasty pizza I tasted in France has any resemblance to the one in Italy. Matter fact, they named it "French pizza" when we were being served. This means, they were doing their own thing. Not the Italian thing.

Quote:
If you cannot eat local food, look for places that sell American food. They are there for a reason. McDonalds around the world taste pretty much the same.
I didn't want McDonalds. I am not one of the those American tourist that think everything is suppose to be like America. I'm not like that and certainly wasn't expecting that. With the exception of portion size! That was my little spiel. Forgive me. I cannot get with the portion sizes in Europe.

HOWEVER, good tasting food and quality is universal. It doesn't matter WHERE you go. You will recognize what is good tasting and what is not. What is low quality and what is high class. My experience with the French food was subpar at best. I'm sorry if that offends you but none of what I tasted was high-class at all. They were very simple dishes anyone could make at home.

All in all, I saw VERY beautiful sights. I will admit that France is a beautiful country. I went to different cities and enjoyed visiting famous castles and old Victorian-era towns left almost untouched. It was amazing. However I was glad the day the whole trip was over and we were heading to the airport. I couldn't wait to get back to my big old house and wide open spaces in Texas. I rejoiced the next day I woke up to a sunny afternoon in my nice suburb in San Antonio. Oh you have no idea how much we are blessed in the U.S. and Texas to have everything big! Most Europeans hate it but I don't give a crap. I appreciated the U.S. even more coming back from a foreign country. I tell ya. Texas is one of the best states in the U.S. You go to these other countries and then come back and appreciate what you have in big ol' Texas. *sigh* love it.

Last edited by allenk893; 12-19-2011 at 01:41 PM..

Old 12-19-2011, 01:36 PM

61,694 posts, read 87,077,794 times
It looks that you didn't had a good time in France. It just shows that some places are not for everyone.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel