Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-22-2011, 07:40 AM

4,275 posts, read 7,627,786 times

Advertisements

I will be making flying to Portland in March and have never purchased airline tickets online before (but I have flown, someone else bought the tickets then, first timer in purchasing.)

Anyway, I have a computer (laptop) at home where I can purchase the tickets, yet I don't have a printer (mine had broken a few months back and haven't replaced it yet )

Am I able to have my airline tickets mailed to me, or can I print them elsewhere, or can I pick them up in advance at the airport?

How about boarding passes? Can I pick those up at the airport the same day? (I am aware that if I need to do this, if I can, that I will have to arrive at the airport well in advance, which I have no problem with.)

I know you were able to do all of this long before the internet, so I would hope that these options would still be available
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-22-2011, 09:26 AM

1,338 posts, read 2,564,830 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by raubre View Post
I will be making flying to Portland in March and have never purchased airline tickets online before (but I have flown, someone else bought the tickets then, first timer in purchasing.)

Anyway, I have a computer (laptop) at home where I can purchase the tickets, yet I don't have a printer (mine had broken a few months back and haven't replaced it yet )

Am I able to have my airline tickets mailed to me, or can I print them elsewhere, or can I pick them up in advance at the airport?

How about boarding passes? Can I pick those up at the airport the same day? (I am aware that if I need to do this, if I can, that I will have to arrive at the airport well in advance, which I have no problem with.)

I know you were able to do all of this long before the internet, so I would hope that these options would still be available
You will get an electronic ticket issued to you via email and you can just use the credit card you bought them with at the airport to print out boarding passes. I never actually print out any documents, I have the email on my phone if I need reference numbers.

Old 12-22-2011, 09:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by swisswife View Post
You will get an electronic ticket issued to you via email and you can just use the credit card you bought them with at the airport to print out boarding passes. I never actually print out any documents, I have the email on my phone if I need reference numbers.
So basically someone at the airport will print a boarding pass for you?

If I print my ticket (and email) ahead of time (I can do that at work) and take that to the airport, as long as I have that or a confirmation number/letter/email, they can still print the boarding pass frio you at the airport as well?

(I don't have email on my phone )

Old 12-22-2011, 10:05 AM

9,317 posts, read 20,993,806 times
yes, someone at the airport check-in (or the kiosk), If you are in a hotel, most have a printer you can use to print out boarding passes.

you will need your confirmation number to check/in and get boarding pass.

Old 12-22-2011, 10:06 AM

1,338 posts, read 2,564,830 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by raubre View Post
So basically someone at the airport will print a boarding pass for you?

If I print my ticket (and email) ahead of time (I can do that at work) and take that to the airport, as long as I have that or a confirmation number/letter/email, they can still print the boarding pass frio you at the airport as well?

(I don't have email on my phone )
absolutely. You just put your credit card in the machine and occasionally it will ask for the conf number too and the boarding pass shoots out at you. I take a photo of the conf number from the computer screen as I make the booking so I have it on my phone...
Unless you are checking bags and depending on the airline you can do the whole process without speaking to an airline person which quite frankly is exactly how I like things

Old 12-22-2011, 10:09 AM

Thank you very much! I like to be prepared and with all of these changes lately, I want things to go very smoothly.

Old 12-23-2011, 07:35 AM

43,618 posts, read 44,346,965 times
You can definitely print out your boarding pass at the airport as I too have done that due to a non-functioning printer at home. As already mentioned you need a photo id and the confirmation number of the reservation. Some airlines will also ask you for the credit card which was used to purchase the ticket (if it is same person listed on the reservation). You can print your boarding pass at the airline self-check-in kiosks or have a reservations agent do it for you at the check-in.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel