U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-23-2011, 09:14 PM

3,500 posts, read 4,057,467 times

Advertisements

21 years.

The journey is the destination, man...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-24-2011, 07:52 PM

405 posts, read 1,177,683 times
I lived out of my camper truck for two and a half years back in the early/mid 90's.
I had two back to back tragedies that sent me over the edge.
I had money and my own reasons for dropping out at the time.
I traveled all over the USA, Canada, and Alaska.
Some parts of the Baja too.
In the summers I would travel north.
In the winters I stayed with a hippie commune near Bisbee, AZ. or the FLA. Keys
I stayed in campgrounds, state parks, nat'l forests, and/or remote areas of BLM lands.
Sometimes I didn't see anybody for a coupla weeks or more.
Just the deer, the moose, and the trees.
It was a very recouperative time.
Sort of a detox for the soul.
Sometimes I wish I could go back there.

Last edited by GM1258; 12-24-2011 at 08:01 PM..

Old 02-02-2012, 11:02 PM

7,653 posts, read 15,808,441 times
You're all making me feel inferior.

The longest I ever took for a vacation was a 26-day jaunt through Spain and Morocco in 2008. The 24-day trip to Mexico I took in 2011 comes close...

Old 02-04-2012, 11:28 PM

14,800 posts, read 18,356,772 times
Minneapolis(home) - Mt Rushmore - Yellowstone - Salt Lake City - Las Vegas - Puerto Penasco
Took a more direct route home only spending a fair amount of time in Denver
Driving a Mitsubishi Montero

Old 02-05-2012, 11:45 AM

38,989 posts, read 20,698,597 times
10 days in Orlando was the longest vacation I had ....

Old 02-05-2012, 11:51 AM

9,012 posts, read 11,794,160 times
Four months in Ireland, the UK , France, Switzerland, Norway, Sweden and Finland. Only counting the places where I actually stayed;went through other countries on the train, didn't stop. Visited Belgium on another trip . That and Finland are the two I would most like to return to.

Old 02-05-2012, 04:29 PM

41,312 posts, read 59,640,026 times
I am a working woman, so the max amount of vacation depends where I work. The longest was 15 weeks ( + religious and state holidays) when I was working in the school system in Germany. Now in the US - I am lucky to get 5-6 weeks max. When calculating right ( incl, weekends/holidays) I might push it to 8 weeks, but I cannot take it in one chunk. So, when I am going overseas, I get about 5 weeks in one piece, the rest I am taking during a year, mostly as a long weekends combined with holidays.
World, Europe, Texas, Corpus Christi, El Paso, Lubbock, Tyler, Houston, San Antonio, Tallahassee,
Minnesota, Fish, Home Interior Design and Decorating, Science and Technology Forums

Need help? Click on this: >>> ToS, Mod List, Rules & FAQ's, Guide, CD Home page, How to Search
Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.

Old 02-18-2012, 06:41 AM

2,013 posts, read 3,806,124 times
The one i'm in right now, it's about to hit 2 months

Throughout the Southeast US and The Caribbean. I don't know if its a true vacation though, I've frequently have hopped on flights back to the northeast to check on the crib and a few other things.

I had lived in Europe before for an extended period but I didn't consider that vacation because I was in school and working.

Old 02-18-2012, 07:17 AM

14,076 posts, read 18,160,243 times
I took about a 4 or 5 year vacation from my sanity. Does that count?

Seriously...probably not over a week. Though I've traveled quite extensively, I've actually taken very few actual vacations. My traveling has mostly been for a purpose (work, military, disaster relief, old soldier reunions) and I still like it that way. To me, it's selfish and a waste of time and money to go somewhere and not do something worthwhile.

Old 02-18-2012, 10:34 AM

9,969 posts, read 17,880,986 times
11 months on a RTW trip. We spent the first 3 months on a roadtrip in Oz and that was so cool--Oz is a very beautiful country and I still regret that we never made it into the outback. 1 month in NZ. Then a month each in Vietnam and Thailand and didn't make it into Cambodia, mainly b/c we'd failed to think about malaria meds and had 2 young dd's with us and ran out of time anyway. Then a month in Turkey, a month in Greece, a couple of weeks in Egypt and the remainder was spent driving and camping around Europe. I would definitely do it again.

Many people on the trip asked us why Americans don't do the RTW trips as they certainly seem to have the money. I just suggested that Americans generally have other priorities and then they think they can't afford it. I don't make much money but I live below my means and have never driven a new car.

GM1258--you did what I hope to do someday--I'd love to just live out of a small camper and see our country.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or