U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 08-03-2014, 05:38 AM
 
Location: Jakarta, Indonesia
1,022 posts, read 3,226,322 times
Reputation: 223

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davy-040 View Post
I know Indonesia has over 50 million more people than Pakistan but do they also have more true Muslims?
Well that would depends on what you mean by "true Muslims", the population is largely religious yes, some even goes further into the level of craziness like Aceh... but its safe to say that most of the people are moderately religious, i would say the Javanese people are more acceptive than the others. Even religious minority families in the villages never are disturbed and lived amongst the other very well i would say. Islands like Sumatra and Sulawesi might be more conservative, but still not on the level of Pakistan. Alcohol are never impossible to get in those areas, surprisingly even Aceh. The capital is center of most modern society with people drinking alcohol and partying all night, no religious radical can even touch them, despite their protests.

But still to the eyes of the world, its still the largest Muslim country in the world, whether the population is less "true Muslim" than Pakistan. Then comes the bombing back then, which was terrible, and it gives us worser view from the world. However after meeting some Pakistani in Malaysia, im quiet surprised to see that they're on average quiet moderate and very modern, it must be because they're the upper class.

It's undeniable that religious violence exist, which is truly a shame and the president just set his eye somewhere else on this matter. I hope that Jokowi would be a different leader on this matter and not like the rest...

Last edited by Goshio22; 08-03-2014 at 07:07 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 08-03-2014, 06:09 AM
 
26,590 posts, read 55,897,496 times
Reputation: 13041
I don't have any inclination to visit those countries for a variety of reasons. Political and social issues are forefront. No interest in Bali, I've been to French Polynesia, same idea--and while it was OK, it's just not really the type of holiday I fancy.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-03-2014, 06:13 AM
 
Location: Jakarta, Indonesia
1,022 posts, read 3,226,322 times
Reputation: 223
Quote:
Originally Posted by annerk View Post
I don't have any inclination to visit those countries for a variety of reasons. Political and social issues are forefront. No interest in Bali, I've been to French Polynesia, same idea--and while it was OK, it's just not really the type of holiday I fancy.
Bali and French polynesia is totally different places, while Bali predominantly Hindus and have the most distinctive culture from the rest of Southeast Asia, French Polynesia is Catholic and populated by Pacific islanders who again have distinctive culture compared to Indonesia. Yes it does have nice beaches, but its not the only thing that it offered. Bali and the rest of Indonesia in general are safe for travellers, political situation are relatively stable too as far concerned, nothing big really happened in the past years.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-03-2014, 06:19 AM
 
26,590 posts, read 55,897,496 times
Reputation: 13041
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goshio22 View Post
Bali and French polynesia is totally different places, while Bali predominantly Hindus and have the most distinctive culture from the rest of Southeast Asia. Yes it does have nice beaches, but its not the only thing that it offered. Bali and the rest of Indonesia in general are safe for travellers, political situation are relatively stable too as far concerned, nothing big really happened in the past years.
Again, they hold no interest for me. Very little of Asia does.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-03-2014, 06:29 AM
 
Location: Eindhoven, Netherlands
10,443 posts, read 12,999,827 times
Reputation: 4925
Quote:
Originally Posted by annerk View Post
Again, they hold no interest for me. Very little of Asia does.
Which countries of Asia are interesting iyo?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-03-2014, 06:42 AM
 
26,590 posts, read 55,897,496 times
Reputation: 13041
Quote:
Originally Posted by Davy-040 View Post
Which countries of Asia are interesting iyo?
Japan. Maybe South Korea and Singapore, but they aren't on the bucket list and are pretty much on the bottom after every Euro country, parts of the Middle East and Africa, Australia, New Zealand, Antarctica, and much of South America. We plan on taking a world cruise after we retire, and will see many Asian countries on that--as tourists, which is all we would even begin to care to see them as. Some ports we might not even bother to get off the ship.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-03-2014, 07:18 AM
 
Location: Eindhoven, Netherlands
10,443 posts, read 12,999,827 times
Reputation: 4925
Quote:
Originally Posted by annerk View Post
1.Japan. Maybe South Korea and Singapore, but they aren't on the bucket list and are pretty much on the bottom after every Euro country, parts of the Middle East and Africa, Australia, New Zealand, Antarctica, and much of South America.

2.We plan on taking a world cruise after we retire, and will see many Asian countries on that--as tourists, which is all we would even begin to care to see them as. Some ports we might not even bother to get off the ship.
1.You rather visit Bosnia, Montenegro, Albania, Macedonia, Moldova, Latvia, Belarus, Georgia and Armenia than Japan, South Korea, China, Vietnam, Thailand, Malaysia, Singapore, Indonesia and the Philippines
You do know the Middle East region (I like to call it by its original name "Near East") is in Asia right?
Anyway which countries there and in Africa you like to see first before visiting Classic Asia (Far East)?

2.My problem with people taking cruises, acting like they have seen the world but many of them not even leave the ship, waste of time and money if you ask me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-03-2014, 07:24 AM
 
26,590 posts, read 55,897,496 times
Reputation: 13041
Quote:
Originally Posted by Davy-040 View Post
1.You rather visit Bosnia, Montenegro, Albania, Macedonia, Moldova, Latvia, Belarus, Georgia and Armenia than Japan, South Korea, China, Vietnam, Thailand, Malaysia, Singapore, Indonesia and the Philippines
You do know the Middle East region (I like to call it by its original name "Near East") is in Asia right?
Anyway which countries there and in Africa you like to see first before visiting Classic Asia (Far East)?

2.My problem with people taking cruises, acting like they have seen the world but many of them not even leave the ship, waste of time and money if you ask me.
1. Yes--I've already visited some of those. Have you? Maybe you missed where I said I wanted to visit Japan.

2. I want to visit Israel, Jordan, and UAE. In Africa I want to visit Egypt, Morocco, Kenya, and Madagascar. Maybe Namibia and Algeria.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-03-2014, 09:50 AM
 
Location: Crappyville,PA
393 posts, read 312,198 times
Reputation: 541
Good question. The capital cities are different. Bangkok and Kuala Lumpur are way nicer than Manila. They have areas designated for backpackers, and don't have as many desperate, impoverished areas, at least from what I saw.(I have never been to Indonesia before). Other than that, I can't think of any real reason. Thai food is a little better, but I had some great experiences in the Philippines before. Bohol and Camiguin are lovely islands. And you can't beat the prices. I would love to visit Indonesia someday.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-03-2014, 10:49 AM
 
Location: Jakarta, Indonesia
1,022 posts, read 3,226,322 times
Reputation: 223
Quote:
Originally Posted by tone77 View Post
Good question. The capital cities are different. Bangkok and Kuala Lumpur are way nicer than Manila. They have areas designated for backpackers, and don't have as many desperate, impoverished areas, at least from what I saw.(I have never been to Indonesia before). Other than that, I can't think of any real reason. Thai food is a little better, but I had some great experiences in the Philippines before. Bohol and Camiguin are lovely islands. And you can't beat the prices. I would love to visit Indonesia someday.
Ehh i thought Manila has Malate for backpackers?

It would be nice for you to visit, however if you are a big city guy i should warn you, Jakarta is probably almost as similar as Manila in a way due to large amount of slums in the city, but with less crime than Manila (you can even walk in the slums at daytime with no problem). But as for backpacker area, the most famous is around Jaksa street, which is packed with good priced hotels and reasonable bar-restaurants scene. Jakarta have some good point of interest if you try to discover it such as, museums or Dutch colonial quarter/Kota Tua, and it also have one of the best nightlife in the region, definitely try Kemang. However it is chaotic and dirty, the traffic is the worst.... a big turn off...

On the other hand there's of course Bali and Borobudur in Yogyakarta, Indonesia's 2 main gem, apart from that there's many other places to visit and see, whether it is the Hindu villages of Naga in West Java, Botanical garden, volcanoes, or far to the other islands to attraction such as. Torajaland in Sulawesi or even Raja Ampat. There's 18000 islands so be sure you make a good planning, if you want to experience most of Indonesia since all the different islands are populated with different cultural group, it would take months to experience most of it.

Last edited by Goshio22; 08-03-2014 at 11:01 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2020, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top