U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-26-2011, 05:23 PM

2,058 posts, read 3,781,673 times

Advertisements

Hi all,
The last thread on this topic was several years old so I wanted to start a new one. I've been several times before just not in winter. We were looking at trying to go to yellowstone this winter. The catch is we've can't spend more than $1500 on lodging and activities for 2 people for 5ish days as plane tickets will be 1000k and eats up half our budget. (We thought about flying into SLC but weren't sure that doing it that way would save much money after a car rental and the risk of getting stuck in a snow storm). I was looking at doing the snow lodge and possibly one of the xanaterra guided trips. The one I was considering is about 600per person for 3 nights and breakfast. It starts at the snow lodge, snowmobiles to mammoth and then back. Is it possible to do anything similar for any less money? Or do you have any other suggestions as to make this cheaper? I'd be interested in doing skiing or snowshoeing stuff too but....I've never skied. I use to be a figure skater though which I was told is similar. .... *sheepish look*

Also any books or sites you can point me to on winter specifics (other than the NPS type stuff)?

Thanks so much for any help!

(PS. Sorry about posting this twice. My post was merged into a totally different yellowstone question on the WY forum (several pages in) so I thought I'd try here.)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-28-2011, 09:37 AM

1,477 posts, read 5,246,142 times
Many of the local ranches just outside the park offer many different types of winter vacations. Cross-country skiing, snowmobiling, wildlife watching etc. You can check the Montana and Wyoming state (travel) homepages that will list pretty much everything you are looking for

Old 12-28-2011, 06:01 PM

40,413 posts, read 49,998,373 times
I was under the impression according to the Park Service that Yellowstone Park is closed during the winter starting around the 1st of Nov until about May- June. Is that correct.

Old 12-28-2011, 10:56 PM

9,710 posts, read 18,089,618 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nitram View Post
I was under the impression according to the Park Service that Yellowstone Park is closed during the winter starting around the 1st of Nov until about May- June. Is that correct.
No, it's open but with stiff restrictions. I think you've got to go as part of a group tour with snow coach or snowmobiles on specific roads only or try x-country skiing.

Yellowstone National Park - The Future of Winter Use in Yellowstone National Park (U.S. National Park Service)

Winter Wildlife in Yellowstone | National Geographic Expeditions

Yellowstone in winter? It's not so crazy - USATODAY.com

Old 01-01-2012, 07:56 PM

9,831 posts, read 20,007,653 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WyoNewk View Post
No, it's open but with stiff restrictions. I think you've got to go as part of a group tour with snow coach or snowmobiles on specific roads only or try x-country skiing.

Yellowstone National Park - The Future of Winter Use in Yellowstone National Park (U.S. National Park Service)

Winter Wildlife in Yellowstone | National Geographic Expeditions

Yellowstone in winter? It's not so crazy - USATODAY.com
Ditto.

Unless something changed from when I went in winter, you can enter through the gate on the Montana side and then drive the one road along the northern part of the park for a bit and that's about all. It was very cold and snowy, roads were snowpacked and not really many people around.

So unless you do one of the guided tours on a snow machine, not a lot to see and do if going by car.

Old 01-06-2012, 09:36 PM

18 posts, read 27,625 times
We went to Yellowstone in early February a couple of years ago and stayed at the Snow Lodge. We flew into Jackson Hole and spent the night. The next morning a shuttle service picked us up at our hotel and took us to Flagg Ranch near the south entrance. We then took snowcoaches to the Snow Lodge. It took awhile to get the lodge, but the snowcoach stopped at some of the sights and we got to get out and walk around (in the freezing snow, dress appropriately). The snowcoach drivers were great guides. There are day and night trips you can sign up for at the lodge. You can snowshoe and cross country ski from there (or take lessons). You can also go on ranger-guided walks and snowmobiling. They have shuttles to go to Fairy Falls and different places. It was beautiful! Oh. And, if you stay at the Snow Lodge, make sure to sign up for dinner reservations when you make your lodging reservations. The food was actually pretty good! Sorry, but I can't remember the costs for any of these.

Old 01-07-2012, 02:21 PM

8,088 posts, read 9,665,086 times
This should go on the Montana, Idaho, or Wyoming forum. You can find locals who know more about the area on those ones. As WyoNewk said, the restrictions are stiff, but if you can get there it is worth it. You might also consider Jackson and Grand Teton. Grand Teton has the same wildlife and I think the park is even prettier in the winter.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel