U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-28-2011, 02:28 AM

24,682 posts, read 47,143,717 times

Advertisements

Rank in order of how cool the architecture is, how much there is to do, facilities.etc.

Hong Kong International Airport (Chep Lap Kok), huge and interesting star-shaped design.

Kuala Lumpur International Airport (KLIA) really cool glassy modern design. Lots of shops etc to occupy yourself between transits.

Changi International Airport (Singapore), Still pretty good, esp. after the new terminals. I like the free movie theatres.

Didn't really spend much time in JFK in NY. I don't recall what Beijing was like. Sydney Kingsford Smith is pretty cool for a city of Sydney's size.

Some let-downs:

LAX in Los Angeles, seemed old, drab and unwelcoming, coupled with the unpleasant immigration officials was not a good experience. Surprisingly little to do there.

The airports of Hanoi and Ho Chi Minh were very spartan with not much in the way of shops at all. Not satisfactory for such large cities.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-28-2011, 08:33 AM

2,214 posts, read 2,728,573 times
My most interesting ones:

Bilbao, Spain (BIO): (Interesting architecture, designed by Mr. Santiago Calatrava)

London City Airport (LCY): Only for smaller aircrafts, very short runway and close to the city. I love the approach.

Toronto Island (YTZ): Very nice approach close to the skyline, beautiful Porter Lounge and ferry connection to the city.

Dubai (DXB): woow...giantific thing

Old 12-28-2011, 10:06 AM

33,547 posts, read 34,446,956 times
Beijing International Airport is very large and modern. One can get free wifi for 5 hours (up to 3 times if necessary) by scanning your passport in a machine which will give you a receipt with a user name and password. There is plenty of food (Western, Chinese & Muslim), shopping and other amenities.

Old 12-28-2011, 02:53 PM

1,336 posts, read 2,839,674 times
Abu Dhabi, it's like being inside of a giant, psychodelic mushroom:

Old 12-28-2011, 03:09 PM

1,336 posts, read 2,839,674 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chava61 View Post
Beijing International Airport is very large and modern. One can get free wifi for 5 hours (up to 3 times if necessary) by scanning your passport in a machine which will give you a receipt with a user name and password. There is plenty of food (Western, Chinese & Muslim), shopping and other amenities.
With all of the intellectual piracy that has come to light from the Chinese Gov't, that is SCARY. Scan your passport, they know who you are, and who you work for, and why you are in the country, and then you can log onto their free wifi. Yikes!!!!!!

Old 12-29-2011, 10:00 AM

33,547 posts, read 34,446,956 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bmateo View Post
With all of the intellectual piracy that has come to light from the Chinese Gov't, that is SCARY. Scan your passport, they know who you are, and who you work for, and why you are in the country, and then you can log onto their free wifi. Yikes!!!!!!
Yes, they want to know who is using the internet. A person who has a local China Mobile cellphone can register using their phone. Remember the Chinese Government blocks the usage of Facebook, Twitter, Youtube, some foreign news websites, etc.

Otherwise, the Beijing Airport is very new and very modern. I believe that Beijing Airport Terminal 3 is the largest airport terminal in the world. One has to take an airtrain to get from the check-in area to get the gate area of the same terminal.

Old 12-29-2011, 07:30 PM

24,682 posts, read 47,143,717 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bmateo View Post
Abu Dhabi, it's like being inside of a giant, psychodelic mushroom:

That's awesome!

Old 01-01-2012, 04:44 PM

25 posts, read 41,333 times
Singapore!

Old 01-03-2012, 05:58 PM

4,836 posts, read 10,488,242 times
I love aviation, a huge passion of mine. Airports are just awesome IMO one of the most interesting type of place to be in the world.

Long Beach: Small, Art Deco, Observation deck! Pretty cool little place to fly into/out of
Prague: Can tell it is eastern Europe, just cool being there.
Washington National: Just a fantastic airport, it being almost only domestic flights makes it a bit interesting along with its awesome takeoffs and approaches.

London Hethrow: The cross road of the world, so diverse, very interesting.
bimini sea plane base just a shack.
Watson Island/Miami Sea Plane Base: A little bit more than a shack, right in Downtown and the port of Miami.
Paridise Island Seaplane base: Small building, such a cool location.

Venice Italy: Small but modern, just a nice looking airport thought it would be bigger from the decent amount of destinations from the airport, pretty cool getting on a boat to get into town.

I could say something about every airport I been too but I will keep it at that.
Oh and also seeing how Miami International has transformed to a joke of an airport to one of the most modern hubs in the America's has been impressive.

Old 01-04-2012, 03:39 AM

28 posts, read 30,054 times
Koh Samui Thailand, cool, small, modern, beautiful, mostly outdoors...
koh samui airport - Sök på Google

Toilet
http://images.travelpod.com/users/st...ui-airport.jpg

Last edited by BstYet2Be; 01-04-2012 at 09:59 AM.. Reason: copyrighted pictures require link only
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel