U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-28-2011, 12:00 PM

1,842 posts, read 2,836,232 times

Advertisements

Hi, Not sure if this is the correct forum to ask these questions, but feel free to redirect me if it isn't.
My husband is taking a two yr. position in Podgorica. I have ordered a couple of books from Amazon to read, but they don't answer all of my questions. It's nice to hear back from folks who have actually been there, or currently live there.
What kind of vehicles do they drive over there? Are they small energy efficient? How much is gas p/gallon? Is there a way to get american TV? Do they have american brand brands in laundry detergent and foods?!
Thanks,
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-28-2011, 01:50 PM

2,958 posts, read 11,559,880 times
I have not been to Montenegro but I have been to other places in the area.

Cars will be small and foreign. Gas is sold by the litre and costs €2-€3 per litre, approximately 3 litres to the gallon, so around $8 per gallon. But public transport in most of Europe is very good and even people who own cars don't drive them much. Trains, bus, tram, feet. No place in the world is as car-centric as America.

You will not get any American TV. If there is cable available you will likely have access to British programs in English.

I don't remember seeing any American products in Europe....except maybe Jack Daniels, which is very popular (and expensive).

Do not fear losing your familiar backround of Americana. You will find that foreign cars and foreign laundry detergent and foreign foodstuffs all work as work as well as the ones you are used to. A lot of European products are much better than our own. Especially the quality of food. And frankly a lot of European medical care is superior.

If you're going to live in Montenegro, live in Montenegro. Stop worrying about how different it's going to be and don't expect to find any vestiges of America there.

Old 12-28-2011, 02:20 PM

Thank you Azoria. This will certainly be a new experience for us. Scary and exciting at the same time.

Old 12-28-2011, 02:40 PM

6,848 posts, read 10,401,727 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tarragon View Post
Hi, Not sure if this is the correct forum to ask these questions, but feel free to redirect me if it isn't.
You're more than welcome to pose your questions here to those that may have travelled there or nearby.

You also might want to post another post of your queries in the
World Forum as well, since I was able to do a quick search in it and found this two-page list of threads where Montenegro had already been mentioned there.

Sounds quite fascinating, so you will have to let us know how it all goes.

Best wishes for a grand time!

Old 12-28-2011, 02:42 PM

Slightly off topic....

I love to watch House Hunters International on HGTV. The [spoiled] Americans invariably complain that the foreign apartment is too small (we had a 2,500 sq. ft. house back home), there isn't enough storage space (we had a master walk-in closet back home), the kitchen isn't up to snuff (we had granite and stainless steel back home), there is no garage (we had a three car garage back home), open floor plans don't exist in European flats (we love to entertain guests while in the kitchen).

Other peoples don't have as much stuff. They don't need 3 car garages, kitchens that accommodate weekly SUV expeditions to Costco, or enough closet space to store half of Macy's.

In America our stuff owns us and we need lots of space for all of our junk. In Montenegro, downsizing stuff and upsizing experiences you will find to be a more welcome relief than you expect.

Old 12-28-2011, 05:04 PM

Azoria, I've heard that their fridge's are alot smaller because most folks buy their food fresh. The garage part won't be a big deal for us as we don't use one now. It is definitely going to be a new experience for me as I have never outside the U.S with the exception of Canada. My husband lived in Germany back in the 80's when he was in the military.
The other thing that I read was that their transportation system is a little outdated and they do not keep up on their repairs because of lack of funds . Also, in Montenegro people drive like a madman while talking on their cell phones (this is what I read).

Old 12-28-2011, 05:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BstYet2Be View Post
You're more than welcome to pose your questions here to those that may have travelled there or nearby.

You also might want to post another post of your queries in the World Forum as well, since I was able to do a quick search in it and found this two-page list of threads where Montenegro had already been mentioned there.

Sounds quite fascinating, so you will have to let us know how it all goes.

Best wishes for a grand time!
Thank you!!!!

Old 12-28-2011, 05:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tarragon View Post
in Montenegro people drive like a madman while talking on their cell phones (this is what I read).
And Americans don't??

Relax. You'll settle in and get used to the different way of living. I've got 5 bucks that says after two years you won't want to come back.

Old 01-04-2012, 06:02 AM

2 posts, read 3,053 times
Hey Tarragon, I am a frequent visitor to Crna Gora from London.
Did you know Podgorica means 'Underhill' ?
1. Petrol is definitely NOT "€2-€3 per litre", more like 1.2 or 1.3 euros.
2. There are 4.5 (NOT 3) litres to the gallon. Though I speak of English gallons, which are slightly different to US gallons.
3. There is plenty of American TV on satellite, CBS, CNN, Bloomberg, Fox etc etc etc. Dozens of UK channels too, BBC, Sky etc........... also American programmes on terrestrial TV with sub-titles or dubbed. If you have a satellite dish you have access to maybe 500 channels or so on Astra.
4. Cars are mainly German, Italian and Japanese - basically the same small cars you have at home, Polo, Golf, Yaris etc. Plus loads of Mercedes, and 4x4 SUVs are very popular.
5. Most Montenegrins are slow drivers (much slower than in Western Europe), only the big SUVs driven by government officials and chavs are driven fast. This is to save fuel of course..............
6. There are LOADS of American products in Europe (too many some would say!), but mainly consumer electricals of course, not foodstuffs (unless you count McDonalds as food??).
As Azoria says, enjoy yourself and the fantastic food and scenery.
I would especially recommend Kotor Bay, Lovcen (pronounced Lovchen), Porto Montenegro, Lake Skadar, the whole coastline. And you can ski in the winter!
Dubrovnik is only 2 hours away, well worth a weekend.
Srecno i srecan put :-) ............... means good luck and safe journey!

Old 01-04-2012, 07:27 AM

13,386 posts, read 41,502,696 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by keecho View Post
e..............
6. There are LOADS of American products in Europe (too many some would say!), but mainly consumer electricals of course, not foodstuffs (unless you count McDonalds as food??).

As Azoria says, enjoy yourself and the fantastic food and scenery.

I would especially recommend Kotor Bay
We took a day trip to Kotor Bay from Dubrovnik and it was simply breathtakingly beautiful.

Last night I returned from a trip to southwest France and Spain. Our son's apartment in northern Spain has small appliances, and apparently nobody around there uses a dryer (just nature, which works fine for them.)

From Azoria:
Quote:
I love to watch House Hunters International on HGTV. The [spoiled] Americans invariably complain that the foreign apartment is too small (we had a 2,500 sq. ft. house back home), there isn't enough storage space (we had a master walk-in closet back home), the kitchen isn't up to snuff (we had granite and stainless steel back home), there is no garage (we had a three car garage back home), open floor plans don't exist in European flats (we love to entertain guests while in the kitchen).
Haha, so true. My other son has a teeny-tiny apartment in Paris. He *would* like a bit more room some day, if only so he could cook on a real stove instead of a hot plate.

How different things are in Europe really hit home the day the street cleaner went down the street outside our hostel. I looked out the window and saw a vehicle smaller than some of the 4X4 pickup trucks I see here at home.
Those pickup trucks would never fit into many of the narrow cobblestone streets in that town, and thank goodness, because they are filled with pedestrians--so many people walk through them instead of driving everywhere.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or