U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
Old 01-04-2012, 03:26 AM
 
1 posts, read 955 times
Reputation: 10

Advertisements

How expensive are South American countries?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 01-04-2012, 01:48 PM
 
Location: IL
2,992 posts, read 4,555,007 times
Reputation: 3094
You want to buy a South American country? Seriously, the exchange rate has made SA relatively more expensive (compared to USA) in recent years.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-04-2012, 11:08 PM
 
Location: Viña del Mar, Chile
16,409 posts, read 27,076,101 times
Reputation: 16531
I was in Colombia about 2 years ago, and it really wasn't that cheap, absolutely nothing like Asia. Brasil is probably more expensive than USA in certain ways, at least Rio. I hear Ecuador is still pretty cheap though.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-05-2012, 12:44 AM
 
Location: City of Angels
2,934 posts, read 4,912,430 times
Reputation: 2246
brazil is ridiculously expensive. i've heard venezuela is expensive as well. the other countries don't seem particularly expensive, although i suppose it depends on how you travel. if you're just backpacking or budget travelling i think costs are similar to asia. but nice hotels and international flights seem more expensive in south america.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-05-2012, 07:45 AM
 
Location: IL
2,992 posts, read 4,555,007 times
Reputation: 3094
Quote:
Originally Posted by foadi View Post
brazil is ridiculously expensive. i've heard venezuela is expensive as well. the other countries don't seem particularly expensive, although i suppose it depends on how you travel. if you're just backpacking or budget travelling i think costs are similar to asia. but nice hotels and international flights seem more expensive in south america.
I felt Rio was REALLY expensive, but I got some good deals when we visited Paraty. 50 reais (~$27) per person for a 5 hour boat excursion, I felt that was a super deal. 15 reais for a T Shirt (~$8). But, in Rio, restaurants were crazy expensive
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-05-2012, 08:28 PM
 
Location: The western periphery of Terra Australis
24,682 posts, read 47,203,760 times
Reputation: 11862
Quote:
Originally Posted by burgler09 View Post
I was in Colombia about 2 years ago, and it really wasn't that cheap, absolutely nothing like Asia. Brasil is probably more expensive than USA in certain ways, at least Rio. I hear Ecuador is still pretty cheap though.
Much of Asia isn't that cheap either. Even Thailand is getting a bit expensive, let alone East Asia, Singapore and Malaysia. Cambodia and South Asia are still dirt cheap though.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-05-2012, 09:04 PM
 
Location: Viña del Mar, Chile
16,409 posts, read 27,076,101 times
Reputation: 16531
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trimac20 View Post
Much of Asia isn't that cheap either. Even Thailand is getting a bit expensive, let alone East Asia, Singapore and Malaysia. Cambodia and South Asia are still dirt cheap though.

Yeah, tourism is growing in a lot of Asia, but I guess I was referring more to the known cheap places than referring to the expensive parts.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-05-2012, 10:39 PM
 
Location: City of Angels
2,934 posts, read 4,912,430 times
Reputation: 2246
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trimac20 View Post
Much of Asia isn't that cheap either. Even Thailand is getting a bit expensive, let alone East Asia, Singapore and Malaysia. Cambodia and South Asia are still dirt cheap though.
i have found colombia to be around the same as thailand. my daily budget is the same in both countries.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2020, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top